Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:33:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332837 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why not: all time favourite RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Why not: all time favourite RPG  (Read 11713 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »

Final Fantasy IX won't be topped in my book.
For me, the main appeal is the cast of characters. It's such a diverse and entertaining cast, and each person has an impact on the overall story in some form or another, rather than just being dead weight (save for the hungriest member of the crew).

Aside from the characters, the atmosphere of the entire game is the most spot on and engrossing world I've ever played through. The graphics are gorgeous, and the designs of the areas throughout the game have a crazy amount of variety to them. Everywhere from the flooded library-city of Daguerreo to the slums of Treno had tons of personality to 'em, and they were all believable in terms of their seperate architecture and cultures.

It also had a handful of fun minigames'n'sidequests to tackle, and a kickin' battle system to boot.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 04:44:14 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
You lose at couting, Gately.....unless you're like.....some sort of "Super" Canadian.

Mine?

Genso Suikoden II of course!

Perfection.

You lose at spelling, Dade.  Unless you're, like, some sort of "Super" Yank.  :P

As for me, I need to count on my fingers.  I can count to 37.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »

It's hard to pick a favorite. Off the top of my head though, some of my favorites are SuikII, DQVIII, the DDS games, and probably FFVI/CT. I would name FFIV, but that's probably more important to me than a genuine favorite.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »

Final Fantasy VIII

Followed closely by FFIX and Skies of Arcadia. If you count it as an RPG, though, my all time now would actually be Twilight Princess.

However, Final Fantasy IX, is what I believe to be the BEST RPG I've ever played, or at least the least flawed. FF8 just fits me perfectly, but I'm willing to admit that it has some major flaws. FF9 is simply perfection.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »

Tales of Symphonia. I love the battle system in the game, and I love playing as Lloyd pulling off all those combos; plus, I like the fact that the player can play whoever they want instead of the main character.

I enjoy the story, though it's been done many times. I like Zelos as a character, him alone, to me, made the game better because of his personality. Plus, there are characters I love to hate, like Genis....he really irritates me and I wish he didn't exist.....
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 07:39:36 PM »

Favorite traditional RPG?  Final Fantasy II/IV, without a doubt.  But if we're including action RPGs, Secret of Mana.  I'm ashamed at the lack of it in this thread so far, you fucking teenagers (and Dade =^.^=).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 07:55:21 PM »

I have to replay Secret of Mana: I'm mostly just afraid it hasn't aged that well.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 08:28:26 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Tales of Symphonia.

Thank you. No, I won't say that it's favorite RPG, or the best ever made, but it still deserves a lot of accolades in my book. The dialog is wonderful, and it has just a nice "fun romp" feel about it, that I don't get from many games other than, say, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, or Skies of Arcadia. Lloyd and Kratos really made the game for me, and Lloyd's voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard, even outside of video games. When you're giving Cam Clarke a run for his money, you know you're doing well.

I'd have to say, though, Tales of the Abyss has completely topped it, in my book, but it's such a different game, with such a completely different feel (incredibly serious), that they're hard to compare.

Oh, and even though Symphonia's graphics were simple, they were PERFECT. They were clean, and smooth, and I suspect that they were EVERYTHING that the creators intended them to be. Abyss might have more polygons, but its graphics are ugly and garish, glitchy, and slow as fuck. I'd take Symphonia's graphical style over Abyss's any day.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 08:30:19 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I have to replay Secret of Mana: I'm mostly just afraid it hasn't aged that well.

Don't let that stop you from playing a good game. I play my older RPGs all the time, and they're still just as good as I remember them.

SoM, to me, has always looked good. Battling is fun, the music and atmosphere of the game always keeps me going. Also, if you play on an emulator you can get a 2player game going using Kaillera, I think it is.

"Oh, a hunter..."
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 08:31:12 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Well, it's been three or four years since I went through it, but it held up just fine to me.  Then again, pretty much any SNES game holds up better in my opinion than early to mid PS1-era games. :P

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »

Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VIII.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 09:07:05 PM »

Although it's not an RPG, but I reviewed it for RPGfan, my all time favorite visual novel (and game in general) is easily Ever17.  The story, the characters, the visuals, the music... everything about that game is so amazing, so poignant, so engrossing.  

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/ever17/index.html

It's only one of two games I've given Editor's Choice to, the other being Hourglass of Summer ( http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/hourglassofsummer/index.html ) which is my favorite love adventure.  

But in terms of more traditional RPGs, I'd have to go with Persona 2: Innocent Sin.  Sure, one could argue that objectively Persona 1 and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment were better, but the story and characters in Innocent Sin gripped me like no other RPG plot ever has.  The gameplay was deep and really fun too.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona2is/index.html Yep, these are some of the highest scores I've ever given a video game.  I'd have given this one Editor's Choice, but my review went up even before RPGfan started doing Editor's Choice.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »

@Dincrest: How did you play Innocent Sin? Do you know how to read Japanese?

Eternal Punishment is another one of my favorites. The first Wild Arms too. I got that game when I first got my PS1, I'll always have fond memories of it. I was never interested in the remake though. I don't know why. I think I just like the little sprites better.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:43 PM »

I mostly muddled my way through Innocent Sin.  I can read hiragana and katakana, but my kanji isn't that great.  I also knew a lot of the personae and their spells and menu commands from having played EP.  

Plus, after I beat the game, a group of translators called Oracle of Maiya did an entire translation of the game's dialogue.  I loved Innocent Sin, but reading this made it that much more awesomer.  

http://www.chthonian.net/persona/oracle/script/

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 11:28:43 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Fallout 2.

Oh hell yeah. No other game is even comparable. A nice PC runner up would be Wizardry 7. As for console games, it's all about Shadowrun for the Genesis. It's a console-style RPG with action based combat but its got an open narrative and some nice customization - plus the Shadowrun setting is cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: