Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 10:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338429 Posts in 13854 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why not: all time favourite RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Why not: all time favourite RPG  (Read 11810 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »

until recently it was valkyrie profile lenneth-psone version however it has recently been overthrown by super robot taisen OG2. 2d orgasms all over the screen and i just love the feeling that many of the characters are actually friends. too often in rpg's the party members just seem like aquantences(sp?) that will go thier sperate ways after the journey.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »

Oh hell, if we're going to throw a few in the ring....

Suiko 2

SMT Nocturne

Pool of Radiance (the original on the C64)

Wasteland (precursor to Fallout - also on C64)

Battletech (for C64)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »

I recently hit the big "100" mark for RPGs completed. I attempted to rank them 100 to 1, and guess what hit #1?

Xenosaga III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

It perhaps shows that I am favorable to things i've played recently. If you'd like to know, #2 went to Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and #3 went to Chrono Trigger. #4 went to Star Ocean: The Second Story, and I don't know offhand what got #5. The first FF to appear on the list was FFVIII, which took the #6 spot.

I have very...unique tastes I guess. :P

Ramza

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 01:55:45 PM »

Whenever a question like this comes up, my mind gets clouded by nostalgia, and I pick SNES rpgs like FFIV, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana.
Like DR already mentioned, many SNES games like those above still look good, and are perfectly enjoyable. It's the early ps1 games that need to be avoided.
Right behind these would be the likes of Lunar I & II(Sega style), Y's I & II, PSII(too hard, though. This game is not all that playable nowadays) & PSIV(minus the lame final dungeon).
"Modern" rpgs I've enjoyed include Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia, but neither would in a top 5 list or anything.

Looking over the games listed, I see a recurring theme. Great music! Proves to me how important a games soundtrack can be. Too bad developers seem to have forgotten this in the current era.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »

Oblivion. It's by no means perfect but it's also by no means an infinitely large crap. Perhaps I'm drawn to it so much because of my D&D roots have instilled in me whenever I play a game I like to make a lot of the choices and be able to roam off the main story line whenever I please.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »

Quote from: "Alexander"
Oblivion. It's by no means perfect but it's also by no means an infinitely large crap. Perhaps I'm drawn to it so much because of my D&D roots have instilled in me whenever I play a game I like to make a lot of the choices and be able to roam off the main story line whenever I please.

Oblivion is the only game I've played where I've actually felt like I was in another world. I love that game. Maybe it's because I'm listening to the music right now.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »

Hmmm...I guess I'll go with FFVI since it's one of the first RPG's I really "got into".  I did fiddle around with The Shining Force and ShadowRun games on the Genesis and SNES before VI but it defenitely stood out from the pack.  There really isn't a FF that I don't like above another except for X-2 but VI was my first so...

Other notables to me would include DQVIII, Chrono Trigger, Shadow Hearts : Covenant and Star Wars: KOTR.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »

Shadow Hearts 1. The artistic style, masterpiece music, amazing gameplay and gritty, dark plot are just...wow.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 02:01:16 AM »

I'm pretty fickle when it comes to these topics. It just depends on my mood when I post them I guess, but I can generally narrow it down to these games in no particular order:

Final Fantasy IV - I was sold the first time Kain jumped. I know that sounds stupid, but I was seven years old and thought it was awesome. Now I appreciate its fast-paced battles, and the fact it has a plot when a lot, if not most RPGs at the time didn't.

Breath of Fire II - For a long time, this game was my favorite RPG, but I just can't play it anymore because of the slow-paced battles and high encounter rate.

Chrono Trigger - I don't think I really have anything to say that others haven't already said.

Final Fantasy VI - It took most everything I liked about IV and improved on it. Another thing I liked about this game is how it lacked a central protagonist...aside from maybe Umaro :P

Final Fantasy VII - Despite still having some unresolved issues with the game, I still enjoy it for the different direction it took from most games that came before it.

The most recent addition to my list would probably be Tales of Symphonia. I liked how it was comical throughout, and it had a great battle system. Playing with co-op was pretty sweet too. Though if Grandia III hadn't gone to complete shit 1/3 of the way through the game, it would probably have beaten ToS out of this spot.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:09 PM »

It's an upopular opinion, but Breath of Fire III,IV and V are three of my favorite RPGs. Especially IV. I liked how IV presented itself. The characters were awesome, the settings, the music, the battle system. The game was a little slow paced, but that's not really a problem. And I liked the two different story lines.

Vagrant Story is another favorite. Everything about that game was awesome.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 05:32:48 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
I recently hit the big "100" mark for RPGs completed. I attempted to rank them 100 to 1, and guess what hit #1?

Xenosaga III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

It perhaps shows that I am favorable to things i've played recently. If you'd like to know, #2 went to Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and #3 went to Chrono Trigger. #4 went to Star Ocean: The Second Story, and I don't know offhand what got #5. The first FF to appear on the list was FFVIII, which took the #6 spot.

I have very...unique tastes I guess. :P

Ramza

I haven't played Xenosaga, but choices 2-4 would definitely make it in my top 5.

As for my favorite, I like Final Fantasy IX, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, and Star Ocean: The Second Story among others, but I couldn't say for sure which is my absolute favorite.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 11:14:23 AM »

Grandia II. Not much I can say about it that hasn't already been said, so I won't try. Instead, I'll mention my favorite game of the past five years or so: Romancing SaGa. I know many of you disagree with me here, but I love that game. The battle system could be better, but the character customization is absolutely peerless, the graphics and music are majestic, and it's really not as confusing as a lot of people seem to think it is.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
But if we're including action RPGs, Secret of Mana.  I'm ashamed at the lack of it in this thread so far, you fucking teenagers (and Dade =^.^=).

I already mentioned Secret of Mana! It's the best game Square made for the SNES.
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 07:27:15 AM »

1 Tales of the Abyss

2 Star ocean : the second story

3 Tales of Eternia

Thats my top 3 rpg list. With the original Star ocean and tales of destiny + phantasia in the top 6.

God i wish i could find a new series to play :)
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50:02 AM »

If we include action rpg,s my choice would be terranigma cuz was my first rpg, and i really like all in that game.
If don,t maybe withouth any order: dds 1&2, xenogears, arc the lad 2, xenosaga 3, suikoden 2, shadow hearts 2, final fantasy VI....

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: