Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 01:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318863 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why not: all time favourite RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Why not: all time favourite RPG  (Read 11379 times)
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »

Legend of Legaia. Don't ask why. I just like it.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »

Quote from: "MartinMM"
3 Tales of Eternia

After Tales of the Abyss, I'd like to check out some of this other stuff... what is ToE out for? I've played Symphonia and Abyss, now... What should I play next?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 04:35:43 PM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
Legend of Legaia. Don't ask why. I just like it.

I liked it when I was like, 13. I never did beat it. I couldn't tolerate the high encounter rate, the long battles and the ridiculously slow world map walking speed. I did love the music and the way the battle system was, though.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 07:17:20 PM »

Prime Mover- Tales of Eternia was released as Tales of Destiny II on PSOne.  Fun game.  A lot of people thought it was crap but I dug it; bad voice acting and all.

I approve of this nonsense!
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »

Tales of Eternia also got a PAL release on the PSP. If you have the system I'd reccomend buying it, or importing it if you are from America. It works suprisingly well as a handheld game.

I played and finished Legend of Legaia when I was around 12. It has it's flaws, but I remember enjoying it a lot (especially the combat).

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2007, 05:16:59 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "MartinMM"
3 Tales of Eternia

After Tales of the Abyss, I'd like to check out some of this other stuff... what is ToE out for? I've played Symphonia and Abyss, now... What should I play next?

I think that all the tales games are worth playing, but i would actually stay a way from legendia for a while :) It's long and a bit repetitive(is that the word?).
saintandsinnerguy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2007, 02:40:20 AM »

First off.....hello, I'm new here.
For me....Skies of Arcadia is the best RPG out there for so many reasons.  Yes, it has a lot of traditional plots going on, but the characters, bosses, and ship-to-ship battle is stellar, as well as the massive world to explore......this is a 60-70 hour game easy, and a total joy the whole way!
I played on both Dreamcast and Gamecube.

Second favorite would have to be the Golden Sun series.  For an exclusive handheld RPG, this little thing is amazing!  In my book, the absolute BEST 2D RPG out there......better than the FF 2D series that was ported to GBA.  Golden Sun does it all so well, and the graphics are amazing for such a little screen.  I'm totally addicted to it right now.

Current RPG addiction:  Golden Sun, FFVI

Greatest RPG Ever:  Skies of Arcadia!
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2007, 02:21:55 PM »

Final Fantasy VII
Skies of Arcadia
Shining Force I & II
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »

Quote from: "saintandsinnerguy"
First off.....hello, I'm new here.

Welcome. I can't argue with your choices here. Skies is also one of my favorites, particularly because of its expansive, exploritory feel. I virtually require that RPGs I play have large, exploritory aspects, which is why I can't stand most tacticle RPGs, which pidgeon-hole you into world maps with dots, and don't let you walk around, in the traditional sense. Very few games without world maps have made it on my "best of" list.

Golden Sun is also a gem. In fact, the second game is probably even better than the first. The dungeons are simply amazing. Unfortunately, my dog got a hold of my cartridge for the second game, when I was about half-way through... and that was the end of that.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2007, 04:27:30 PM »

Suikoden II, without a doubt.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 01:06:09 AM »

Going on pure nostalgia alone, I'd probably say Chrono Trigger, because I was ten when I first played it, and the only other RPGs I'd played at the time were Earthbound and FFMQ, so CT and EB both still have a really special place in my heart based out of nostalgia.

Now, granted, I've tried replaying CT a few times in the past and haven't really found anything enjoyable or redeeming about it. Generic mid-nineties FF clone comes to mind. Only there's even... less gameplay stuff than in, say, FFVI or whatever, so replay attempts have mostly just left me baffled as to why I even liked it in the first place.

So, what other games could I still rattle off on nostalgia alone? Well, Phantasy Star 2, or Earthbound, or legend of mana, or -- hmm. Earthbound's story and writing I still like a great deal. Gameplay isn't much though. i still like and play legend of mana, but that was a long time ago and i've played hundreds of games since. phantasy star 2... or 4, really. Replayed both a bit earlier this year. PS4's story I liked and the gameplay was decentish. PS2 didn't really have anything going on in either the gameplay or story department.

So, I think it's safe to say that my favorite RPG is probably one I've played in the past four years, and probably not a console game

Despite being very recent, I think space rangers 2 is shaping up to be a likely candidate. Deep, emergent, and with loads of personality. Its writing is nowhere near as good as Star Control 2's (Not much is, though) but SC2 was not and RPG, and SR2 is not a game with a time limit. It's also got that whole creepy thing from SC2, inspite of the worse writing (and really, really strange russian translation).

Ultima 7 is another likely candidate. The world is fully realized. More so than in any other game ever, really. Sure, you could pick up everything that wasn't nailed down in, say, Oblivion or Morrowind, but in Ultima 7, you can actually DO stuff with the random crap you find. Is it useful sutff? Hells no. But it's stuff, and that's what count. Oh, what else? The combat thingy wasn't that great but it's not a combat oriented game. The writing was excellent, Iolo is god, etc, etc, etc.

Albion? Sure. Gorgeous spritework in both the front view and top down modes, interesting backstory (which includes, originally enough, a large bit on xenosexuality), and a battle system, while not really being TERRIBLY deep, had a lot going for it. Oh, and the music is great.

SMT:Nocturne, because it imbues the SMT games with the added Pokemonishness that they always really needed. Why does this matter? In SMT1 and 2, the demons were largely just meat shields that spat out lasers. In N, they just feel a helluva lot more important, as individual entities. the number of skills and fact that they're actually *useful* allows all sorts of interesting emergent strategies to develop. Bad aspect ,though, is that items are, really, useless. The dungeons were excellent, though. While most RPGs have dungeons because RPGs are simply supposed to have dungeons so that the game can claim to have gameplay, SMT:N's were like large, organic-geometric sculptures.

Wizardry 8. Rawulfs are adorable. All sorts of fascinating strategies like in SMT:N. Items are useful, unlike in SMT:N. Really likable NPCs. Solid voicework. Colorful world full of sidequests and explorable things. Trynton is f'ing gorgeous. The only negative is that the world, while being well developed, isn't really detailed like in Ultima 7. You can't go around picking up cups and hoarding them.

The UnReal World, if we ignore v3 for a second and focus on 2.9. Clear interface (sort of), deep, flexible, and all sorts of nifty things which most roguelikes just don't have. emergent situations, a lot of crafting, a lot of survival-ish stuffs, and, really, just a lot of stuff to do. It's detailed and realistic but not to the extent that the realism gets in the way of the game (unless you get a lot of puncture wounds to the face in which case the game promptly ends because you've just bled to death).

(Arc the Lad 2 and FFXII are also sort of potential candidates a little if I play them more. Ookami has RPG elements but they don't really matter. Maybe Vagrant story. again, i need to play it more).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2007, 10:14:37 PM »

I was doing some spring cleaning at my apartment and at my folks' house and I wound up junking a whole bunch of my old and semi-old video game systems.  But one system I didn't junk was my SNES.  I only have one game for my SNES and that's Chrono Trigger.  

I hooked up the SNES to a TV in the basement and played from one of my old saves (a new game plus save; characters around level 90).  I realized how much I love the game.  As far as RPGs go, it's damn near perfect in my eyes in all areas.  The story is fun, the characters are endearing, the writing has charm & wit, the gameplay is fun, the visuals are great (it has better sprite motion detailing than some 2D RPGs in the 32-bit era and beyond), the music is stellar... I've played and replayed this RPG more than any other RPG ever.  

Damn fun and addictive game.  And so charming.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/chronotrigger/Chrono_Trigger-7.html this is an old reader review I did of Chrono Trigger.  

Chrono Trigger is easily a top 5 game for me.  (I wasn't a big fan of Chrono Cross.)

I approve of this nonsense!
elmarad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2007, 06:34:50 PM »

Hi everyone, first post here!
Well, favorite rpgs, tough question...
Let's see...
Xenogears for sure, probably my favorite game ever, i think square reached its peak with this title...
final fantasy 7, shining force 2, chrono cross...and probably a couple more i'm forgetting right now...
By the way, i wish there was a ps2 rpg in the list, but unfortunately none i've played can top the aforementioned ones...

The problem with our world is that the fools are always sure about their actions, but the wise men always in doubt and insecure...
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2007, 09:28:59 PM »

I probably still have to consider Final Fantasy VI my favorite game of all time. I've had too many good times with this one, plus since all my other friends used to play it a lot, too, it made it even better being able to talk about it and compare my game to theirs, and such. I love the characters, the music, the story, and just about everything else about this game, so it remains my all time favorite.

I also really love Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire II & III, Dragon Quest IX, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy IX.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

Quote from: "Urban Sketch"
Stuff

I'd deffinitely say that FFVI is probably the most "flawless" game I've ever played... possibly the "best", but not quite my favorite. It's up there too. FF9 similarly. My all time favorite, however, is FF8, although I realize it's an extremely flawed game.

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Skies of Arcadia
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Tales of the Abyss
Metroid Prime
Okami

That's my top tier (I'm including adventure games, Zelda/Metroid/Okami, in there too, because I approach them similarly)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: