Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340981 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Sofa Company Ships Racist Couch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Sofa Company Ships Racist Couch  (Read 6523 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »

No, this isn't about a couch that screams racial slurs whenever you sit on it, it's a couch that's called a racial slur.

And of course the executives at the company play the usual blame shifting game. Spineless wimps.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »

I wish I had one of those to go along with my chink yellow beanbag.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »

And with Don Imus calling the Rutgers womens' basketball team nappy ho's and jiggaboos then passing the buck and refusing to be responsible or accountable...

Yeah, not being accountable and blaming "rap music" or whooziwhats for X,Y, and Z and refusing to take accountability is the norm rather than the exception with racist shit.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:11:33 AM »

AHAHAAHAAA

Oh god, you know, I can't even eat Cracker Jacks anymore. The obvious racial slur is killing me.

Her face was priceless. I mean, I really can't believe a company would use that as a color, the might as well make a matching foot rest that's Clan White. Seriously, I would actually want to purchase a couch if it was "Cracker White" colored. IMO words like that only have power when you give it to them. Telling her daughter that it was a word that should make you feel unimportant, is just as wrong as the company labeling her couch Niggar-Brown. She's perpetuating the word's power just as much.

Grow some thicker skin.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:50:15 AM »

Yes, you do add power to the word, but she definitely did the right thing by telling her daughter it is unacceptable because it is.  I wouldn't want my 7 year old daughter spouting off that word because it LOSES power.  Everything about the situation is absolutely unacceptable. It isn't about growing thicker skin, it's about a word used to oppress an entire group of people for years.  That isn't just going to dissappear so easily, especially if people start using it so freely and then use the excuse that you are just adding more power to it by getting mad.  There has to be a line drawn.  And that word while I don't get mad when people use it...depending on the context...it shouldn't be used to label the color of a couch...that is in every way extremely racist.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »

Since I have a feeling this topic is going to "go there" I would just recommend that if you fine folks can find a way to watch Lee Mun Wah's 1993 documentary "The Color of Fear" do it.  It's 8 men of different ethnicities having a group discussion on racism and deeper aspects of it like what it means to be white.  

There was a Color of Fear II and Walking Eachother Home, but the first Color of Fear is easily the most powerful.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 09:10:36 AM »

I have seen it, and I am actually currently taking a class dealing with race and issues faced by different races, as well as a class specifically devoted to Asian Americans.  I just think it's important to realize that some things like this, are far too powerful to just try and shrug off.  The problem is that not everyone will think that oh, it's just a joke.  They influence people in powerful ways.  For instance the incident from 10 years ago, wow actually it was 10 years ago yesterday, at Denny's.  Or, things like what happened in that article I posted some time before about the Filipina who was attacked because "She looked Chinese."  That woman definitely did the right thing by making sure her daughter knew that word was unacceptable.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 08:25:55 PM »

Quote from: "Murdoc"
might as well make a matching foot rest that's Clan White.

Hahaha, sorry if its insensitive to laugh at that, but...wow. xD

I agree, thats pretty low for the company.  If they were so insistant on making a joke on the colour of furniture, keep it to yourself, they should seen this coming to bite them in the ass.

How the hell does something like this happen to begin with?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:29:56 PM »

You're absolutely right that the word is wrong to use, it speaks of years of hatred and abuse, however it also speaks of ignorance. It was very insensitive to use the word, however in context was it really that offensive? I admit, i'm not black nor do I experience a lot of rasicm (well not the kind that's looked down upon), but I think that thinking critically about the situation and picking your battles are important.

I do however think it was very wrong for the mother to tell her daughter how to feel when the word was said. She brought all of the pain and hatred that word carried back into another generation, instead of trying to move on. I would have agreed with her if she had told her it was a bad word ingorant people use. Not that it should make her feel bad, the only person who should be able to do that is yourself. If you give a word meaning and power then it will make you feel bad.

Also, I doubt this will "go there" because no one here is being racist, just differing opinions. I don't think my ideas are offensive in the least.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:33:56 PM »

That word is as offensive today as it was back then.  The daughter should understand what it means so that when she hears it, she understands the power it has.  It's not something to move on so easily from.  Ignorance is not an excuse.  When people are allowed to get away with it, they will just continue to push things further and further, to test their limits.  How far are they supposed to be allowed to go?  As far as picking battles...with racism, you have to battle everything.  If you let the little things go, they just compound and compound.  No, the experience is not the same for everyone, but I've certainly experienced it, and I fully agree with what the mother told her daughter, and would do the same for my kids.

And in that context it is EXTREMELY offensive.  So now all black people are the same color?  Or maybe just people of that shade are the "bad" kind of black people?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 11:31:54 PM »

I dunno... Murdoc- by your logic, that's like telling a Jew to almost deny the Holocaust and just "get over it."  That's pretty insensitive.  That's something that population holds as part of their cultural identity, for better or worse.  And identity, no matter how twisted it may be, is something we as humans are always seeking and never quite let go of.  

There are certain historical and cultural traumas that folks really can't get over.  You can tell people all you want to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but a fat lot of good that's going to do when the white corporations running America keep pushing you down and even pitting races against each other (i.e. the whole Blacks vs. Koreans thing in parts of LA esp. during the riots in the mid 1990s).  

Murdoc- you REALLY need to watch "The Color of Fear."  It will probably explain Azrael and I better than we ourselves could.

But regarding Don Imus' "nappy headed ho's" comments and the couch label, the sucky part of it for me is not so much the content itself, but the fact that, as Ash said in the first post, the couch company and Imus are cowardly passing the buck, cowardly offering insincere apologies, and refusing to take responsibility and accountability for their words/actions.  It's the whole lack of responsibility and accountability among the perpatrators that truly irritates me.

Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
But regarding Don Imus' "nappy headed ho's" comments and the couch label, the sucky part of it for me is not so much the content itself, but the fact that, as Ash said in the first post, the couch company and Imus are cowardly passing the buck, cowardly offering insincere apologies, and refusing to take responsibility and accountability for their words/actions.  It's the whole lack of responsibility and accountability among the perpatrators that truly irritates me.

Yeah, but...
Getting mad at the store who simply sells the product won't accomplish anything.
They're not so much passing the buck as they are asking people to get angry at the correct folks.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »

Except they didn't say "We are truly sorry this has happened and we will ensure this will never happen again in the future." They said, "Whoopsie, someone dropped the ball. Don't look at us!"

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »

The couch was made by a Chinese company. I'd say it's very offensive Engrish and it isn't exactly unique. Did you know there is a Racist Park? Or was, I think they changed the name a little while ago.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure GENIAL MEMBER OF ETHNIC GROUPS THAT ORIGINATE IN THE AFRICAN CONTINENT OR CLOSEBY THEREIN means black in another language.

Uh, I didn't realize RPGfan edited that word out. XD

I've seen that word before on other labels describing colors in other languages.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: