Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:59:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338760 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Taking the cue: Most Frustrating RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Taking the cue: Most Frustrating RPG  (Read 8083 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »

Threads of Fate.

Cute characters? I can handle them.

Soundtrack? Pretty good.

Paper thin story? Mmmmmmm I can live with it.

Absolutely sloppy, frustrating and out of place platforming elements? -

Cue cursing like a sailor so loudly, my neighbours actually came over to see what was going on.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »

Has any ever played Sword of Hope? It's a 15-year-old Gameboy RPG by Kemco.

It has:
-swords that do random damage. It might damage a foe for 1HP one turn and 50HP the next.
-the hero, Prince Theo (most likely horribly inbred), sometimes accidently hits himself with his own magic. He commited suicide multiple times during one playthrough.
-First person view + identical cave walls + seeminly random teleportation
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 11:14:52 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"

It has:
-swords that do random damage. It might damage a foe for 1HP one turn and 50HP the next.
-the hero, Prince Theo (most likely horribly inbred), sometimes accidently hits himself with his own magic. He commited suicide multiple times during one playthrough.

This is actually high on my list of GB games to get. Based on what you said, Sword of Hope doesn't sound all that bad. I don't expect much, but I love first person RPGs and also have a soft spot  for RPGs that are way hard and cheap as hell. In fact, when I badmouthed Dungeon Magic at the beginning of this thread, honestly, my heart wasn't really in it...I kind of like that game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 11:26:35 PM »

Baten Kaitos and XSII come to mind, but I was trying to rush XSII, and BK's were more annoyingly long than genuinely frustrating (with some exceptions). Most likely some older RPG, like 7th Saga, would frustrate me several times more than either of those or any game I could name to completion.

Edit: Also SuikIV, but that's mostly because of the awful sailing system - how the fuck can people compare this to Wind Waker? At least that had an illusion of speed and tried to mix up the sailing, not to mention lacking the traditional random battle annoyance. However, a group of enemies that will revive automatically the VERY NEXT TURN if everything else isn't wiped out is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 02:31:43 AM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
Quote from: "Tomara"

It has:

This is actually high on my list of GB games to get. Based on what you said, Sword of Hope doesn't sound all that bad. I don't expect much, but I love first person RPGs and also have a soft spot  for RPGs that are way hard and cheap as hell. In fact, when I badmouthed Dungeon Magic at the beginning of this thread, honestly, my heart wasn't really in it...I kind of like that game.

I'll be honest, I can't hate Sword of Hope either. It had it's moment, the beginning was actually pretty good.

Sword of Hope II is the better game though, since it's actually playable.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 02:32:13 AM »

Any fucking obligatory sewer dungeon can lick a hairy ass.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »

Any SRPG with two or more of the following:

- Erratic jumps in difficulty/forced grinding
- Permanent deaths
- In-battle saves that disappear after you load them
- LONG fucking battles

Hoshigami, Stella Deus, Fire Emblem, and Tactics Ogre come to mind. I still love them, but there's nothing more frustrating than losing an hour of my life because an enemy attack with a 10% chance to hit crit'd and one-shotted my main character. I miss easy-mode SRPGs like Shining Force.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Any fucking obligatory sewer dungeon can lick a hairy ass.

Desert dungeons are just as bad, if not worse.  Lufia: Ruins of Lore easily had the worst sewer dungeon IMO.  Worst desert dungeon IMO was in Stupid Invaders.  There's no humanly way to get through it alive without a walkthrough.  

I'd personally take a sewer dungeon over a desert dungeon any day.  The absolute worst would be a randomized desert dungeon.  That'd make me want to lobotomize myself.  

But that's taking into account annoying elements rather than annoying games.  I've played many an RPG/adventure with crap-tastic desert dungeons but ultimately thought them good games.  

Either way, there are too many RPGs that combine elements of boring, clunky interface, cheap difficulty, lousy music, bad writing, and more into a crap-tastic game.  One of the first that pops into my head is Dragon Quest 7.  "Friendship is like a plant and must be returned to grow."  God, that game did EVERYthing wrong.  Not a single redeeming quality in that turd pile.  I swear that RPG must have been made to intentionally piss off the gamer at every single turn.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »

Since we're also talking about gripes in a game. Here is one I find to be really annoying.

I really don't like any Ice-sliding puzzles or puzzles that involves sliding around. Even the easy ones kick my ass, and gives me hours of frustration. Go away sliding puzzles!

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
Since we're also talking about gripes in a game. Here is one I find to be really annoying.

I really don't like any Ice-sliding puzzles or puzzles that involves sliding around. Even the easy ones kick my ass, and gives me hours of frustration. Go away sliding puzzles!

Well said.  I love puzzles; but I thought it was REAALLLYY weak when Tales of Symphonia had like 8 variations of the thing.

I've been a sucker for WA's puzzles though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Either way, there are too many RPGs that combine elements of boring, clunky interface, cheap difficulty, lousy music, bad writing, and more into a crap-tastic game.  One of the first that pops into my head is Dragon Quest 7.  "Friendship is like a plant and must be returned to grow."  God, that game did EVERYthing wrong.  Not a single redeeming quality in that turd pile.  I swear that RPG must have been made to intentionally piss off the gamer at every single turn.

I don't recall ever being pissed off at DQ7. I played it for 100+ hours, but never beat it. I got bored.

Alundra, now there's a game that pissed me off. This was before I had a computer so I couldn't look at FAQs to help me get past ridiculous puzzles.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
I don't recall ever being pissed off at DQ7. I played it for 100+ hours, but never beat it. I got bored.

I have to agree. But then I recognized that it was pretty old school styled game and liked the throwback it was. I hated that job system though, way way too much grinding. It didn't help that only two characters who stayed from the time you got access to the Job system, so you'd have a bunch of characters that're way, way behind.

Overall though, I liked DQVIII more for the throwback. I wanted old conventions more in this generation than the last, plus it looked nicer and didn't have a pain in the ass job system.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 08:13:05 PM »

For my pick, it's a close race with Fire Emblem(7th) and Baten Kaitos. I've borrowed FE from my cousin, and to me, it seems to me to be harder than 8 and 9 were, which I've beaten both of them. I gave up on it after chapter 16x, I couldn't arena abuse it like I did with FE 8. But yeah, FE 8 had some ubercharacters(Ewan, Ross, Amelia; Ephraim kicked a bunch of ass, so did Marisa and Gerik, etc.) and FE 9 had Ike's "cheap" ability....maybe that's why I think FE 7 is pretty frustrating.

Baten Kaitos, just some of the boss battles piss me off. Like the most recent one I had with a certain character, it took me 20 minutes to get where I did and I just gave up on it. On a previous boss fight,
Code:
fucking Geldoblame would instantly KO a character or two in the few times I tried that battle
and the fight with
Code:
Giacomo, Ayme, and Folon probably took me 25 minutes to beat, and I even level-grinded my characters to level 30, wasting about a week, before I even attempted the battle.

I had some frustrations in the earlier FF titles, especially 1, because sometimes I had no clue where the hell I was supposed to go at all....
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 11:05:49 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"

Tru dat. Chip's Challenge already did ice sliding puzzles, and frankly, they weren't that good of an idea to begin with. I'm pretty bored of block sliding/crate pushing puzzles too.

Runner up: conveyer belt puzzles. Yawn.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 12:18:43 AM »

I can't think of a particular RPG, but whenever you're in a battle with someone who keeps attacking the same guy. You revive them, they die. You revive them, they die. Again. And again. And again.

[/url]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: