Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 3 has all the charm that so many RPGs miss
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 3 has all the charm that so many RPGs miss  (Read 4610 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
If by "charm" you mean "outdated game mechanics that would have been doomed to oblivion years ago were it not for the tendency of older gamers to look back on the games of yore through rose-colored glasses and lament the long-gone days of monotonous level grinding to artificially inflate playing time through sheer repetition", then I guess it has charm out the fucking ass.

thanks for stating what i wanted to but couldnt quite put into words. when rpg's started healing at save points they basically are saving you the trouble of using tents or whatever. i think thats one of the reasons i hated DQ8 since basically the only way you could fight a boss fresh was too warp back to town heal up then run from every encounter till you get back to the boss.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 04:32:26 AM »

I'm really with you here. Darkrider is exactly right. Older gamers (myself included) have a tendancy to gaze, stary-eyed into the abyss of old rpgs lovingly, failing to realize that many of its short comings are... in fact... short comings, and NOT features (as we would like to think of it). In-dungeon save-points simply hadn't been invented yet, there was no larger reason as to why they weren't put there. There's a reason that after in-dungeon save-points first caming into being, before long, they were everywhere... they were a GREAT THING to have invented.

Personally, I don't play RPGs for a challenge, not much anyway. If I want a challenge, I'll play an action/adventure, or a platformer, or something like that. I just want enough of a challenge to keep me feeling like I'm progressing through the game, but I don't really mind if a game is unbelievably easy (Grandia II, I'm looking right at you, my precious). I absolutely hate level-grinding, I REALLY hate level grinding. If I want a challenge, I'd like it in the form of a CHALLENEGE, not a trial to see how many hours I can rack up in doing the SAME GOD DAMN THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN! Let me go on side-quests that involve interesting mind-puzzles and mysterious plots, that end up netting me some kind of adventagious ability or equipment... make it different, unique, don't make me do the same thing I've been doing for the rest of the game, just at higher frequency. What level grinding is is laziness, on the part of the game designers, and on the part of the audience. It takes no skill, it just takes tedious amounts of time.

That said, I'm interested in giving FF3 a chance, because I've heard great things, and from the few minutes I've played, I really liked what I saw. But I think this poster has his head up his ass in terms of what he appreciates in gaming... get a life, dude.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 02:41:10 PM »

I agree completely that RPGs shouldnt have a factor of challenge. What the hell, why even have combat in an RPG at all? We can just bake cakes with the bosses instead. And god forbid you don't like what you see after a few minutes of gameplay. It must be that artificial challenge kicking in again! Damn you Sakaguchi, why must you make your games one big blatant lie! Don't you know RPGs are about convenient save-spots and battles where items are completely unnecessary?

I mean, RPGs arent even about the gameplay, and Squeenix has to let those 12 year olds play video games too! And if anyone DARES disagree with my Opin.. no, factual statements, they MUST have their head up their ass.

RPGs are about being interactive movies and books with visuals! I love when I can get attached to the emotional, prettyboy main character! Hes such a sweetie, this is really how someone should appreciate video games!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »

I think you misheard me... I said I LIKED what I saw after a few minutes of gameplay, and am wondering what it is that everyone seems to not like about it. IE: I'm willing to give FF3 a try, with fairly high expectations.

As for the rest of your post... I'm not following you here. What's wrong with interactive movies, again? It's not like we have another medium for them to fall under. Sure, I'd like enough of a challenge to keep myself moving forward, but I'd prefer it in the form of strategy, or intelligently designed puzzles. Grinding isn't a challenge, it's a tedious attempt to waste as much time as possible. I can think of better ways of wasting my time. Thankfully, modern jRPGs seem to do away with needless grinding.

Slow down dude; sound like someone's got some serious homophobic issues they need to get off their chest.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 01:26:30 AM »

the problem with rpg's being challanging is that because most rpg's are turn based a challange usually equates to enemies being cheap. like in one of the lunar games didnt ghaleon steal all your characters mp? or was that zophar? thats why i think action rpg's are better if you want to challange the player since you are less likely to feel out of control and can use skill instead of stats to overcome obstacles

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 04:45:11 AM »

I agree with the people saying that level grinding is boring but the trouble with the newer games is that they lack the level grinding AND the intelligent puzzles. I hate it when i enter a new room in an rpg, the camera zooms in on a wall and one of the character says "THIS SEEMS TO BE A DEAD END", another one says "THAT LOOKS LIKE A BUTTON". So well, even if you are a three year old you will walk up to that wall and push x. Wow, you found a door. (it's even more annoying if it is a trap, because you had no way possible to know that beforehand).

Stupid puzzles everywhere :(

Although it's hard to balance puzzles so they don't become near impossible (as in you have to talk to one NPC 3 times to learn how to progress).
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 10:10:39 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
the problem with rpg's being challanging is that because most rpg's are turn based a challange usually equates to enemies being cheap. like in one of the lunar games didnt ghaleon steal all your characters mp? or was that zophar? thats why i think action rpg's are better if you want to challange the player since you are less likely to feel out of control and can use skill instead of stats to overcome obstacles

In DDS, I've always felt like I was relying more on strategy than stats. Of course, the stats are important because you need to get stronger, but I didn't think they were as important as coming up with a good strat to win.

The upcoming DS RPG, Etrian Odyssey, is another turn based RPG that will seem to focus more on strategy as well.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »

I've been playing it - though I'm not very far yet....I have to go to the water temple and pacify some dragon that's terrorising some Vikings.

It's okay.....but it definitely feels outdated in its game mechanics.

I do like the fact you can switch jobs on the fly, depending on the situation.

To be honest though, (comparatively),  I enjoyed playing through FF5 on the PS1 for the first time more.

I say give it a chance - but be prepared for level grinding.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: