Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 02:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327314 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPGs based on story alone?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Best RPGs based on story alone?  (Read 14804 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

Yeah, FFX was a big letdown for me. I actually started playing RPGs (and video games), during college because of it. I'd been watching my friend play FFX when it first came out... I'd watched him play FF8 and FF9 as well, but I hadn't been in a place in my life where I could really play games. Seeing FFX was the last straw though. I downloaded FF6, loved it, then got FF8 for the PC (loved it even more), FF7, and then went on from there. It wasn't until almost two years later, though, that I actually bought a PS2 and played FFX... and I was quite dissapointed with what I finally saw. Before that, I had been playing the previous games because they were the only ones I could play on the equipment I had. It taught me a good lesson about how newer, and better hardware didn't always make the better game.

Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things, FFX is a fine game... I just had higher hopes for it than what it delivered. I was expecting it to be one of the best in a series of incredible games, when it was only a "good game", I was pretty put off.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »

I have great affection for the story of SaGa Frontier 2. It could have really used some fleshing out, but the way you went through the history of the 2 families, and got to know each person was well done I thought. They just needed to expand upon certain things, and add more scenarios for certain characters.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 11:45:01 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Yeah, FFX was a big letdown for me. I actually started playing RPGs (and video games), during college because of it. I'd been watching my friend play FFX when it first came out... I'd watched him play FF8 and FF9 as well, but I hadn't been in a place in my life where I could really play games. Seeing FFX was the last straw though. I downloaded FF6, loved it, then got FF8 for the PC (loved it even more), FF7, and then went on from there. It wasn't until almost two years later, though, that I actually bought a PS2 and played FFX... and I was quite dissapointed with what I finally saw. Before that, I had been playing the previous games because they were the only ones I could play on the equipment I had. It taught me a good lesson about how newer, and better hardware didn't always make the better game.

Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things, FFX is a fine game... I just had higher hopes for it than what it delivered. I was expecting it to be one of the best in a series of incredible games, when it was only a "good game", I was pretty put off.

i realize this thread is about story but that doesnt change the fact that FFX is easily the best game in the main series on the merits of the battle system alone. but im gonna stop at that because this is probally a discussion best left for another thread.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:05 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
i realize this thread is about story but that doesnt change the fact that FFX is easily the best game in the main series on the merits of the battle system alone. but im gonna stop at that because this is probally a discussion best left for another thread.

I'll buy that. I don't really play Final Fantasy's for their battle systems (I did enjoy FF12s though), but FFX did have a very deep one, in terms of tactical strategy. Still, for me, a great battle system, a great RPG does not alone make.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"

Not really, while X's might be the one I enjoyed the most you can make a perfectly fine argument about V, X-2, or XII being better, so it boils down to personal preference just like anything else. Plus for what's most imporatnt in an RPG, I wouldn't pit it as just battle system or story.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 07:11:46 AM »

And one thing that I certainly overlooked and probably was pointed out by others and only got a cursory glance is what people value most in a story.  

Is it a series of epic world spanning events that makes a story compelling to you?  Is it a tightly knit tale of highly developed/well written characters that makes a story compelling to you?  Is it the quality of the writing that makes a story compelling to you?  

I realize that though I may hail a game like Hourglass of Summer as one of the best video game stories I've experienced (and I've been playing video games for around 2 decades), if your idea of a great story is a sweeping world-spanning epic adventure with knights, jousting, and chivalry, then Hourglass may disappoint since it's a love adventure.

ASIDE: some PS2 RPGs that have involved and interesting storylines but not the best gameplay mechanics would include Magna Carta and Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army.  Magna Carta has a sweeping incredibly epic storyline, but the gameplay mechanics are clunky and the load times can be horrendous.  Devil Summoner has an interesting story (it has more sense of humor than other MegaTen games), but the realtime battle engine is a bit loose and capturing demons is a pain in the neck.

I approve of this nonsense!
Calamity

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
And one thing that I certainly overlooked and probably was pointed out by others and only got a cursory glance is what people value most in a story.  

Is it a series of epic world spanning events that makes a story compelling to you?  Is it a tightly knit tale of highly developed/well written characters that makes a story compelling to you?  Is it the quality of the writing that makes a story compelling to you?  

I realize that though I may hail a game like Hourglass of Summer as one of the best video game stories I've experienced (and I've been playing video games for around 2 decades), if your idea of a great story is a sweeping world-spanning epic adventure with knights, jousting, and chivalry, then Hourglass may disappoint since it's a love adventure.

ASIDE: some PS2 RPGs that have involved and interesting storylines but not the best gameplay mechanics would include Magna Carta and Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army.  Magna Carta has a sweeping incredibly epic storyline, but the gameplay mechanics are clunky and the load times can be horrendous.  Devil Summoner has an interesting story (it has more sense of humor than other MegaTen games), but the realtime battle engine is a bit loose and capturing demons is a pain in the neck.

I wish i had an answer to that, the game just intrigues me or it doesn't. There isn't one magical story formula that makes me love the game. Also, I don't look for games with good stories and bad gameplay.. just so happens there arn't that many games with awesome stories AND gameplay.  If the gameplay is unplayable, but the story is top-notch.. I'm not going to want to play it.  I just want a good story, that keeps me guessing.

I'm noticing that having good villains is essential.  I'm playing Atlier Iris 2, about 5 hours in.. the game is good, and I like the villains already.  I want to fight them. If they can make me hate them, even if they are cliche I'll still enjoy playing.  For example, Ghaleon.  He had such a cool demeanor, always kept me guessing and had cool lines.  Wasn't the same boring crap I experience with most endgame bosses.

All the Suikoden games have this charm to them (tactics and IV aside) where the story is so unlike everything else.  Not the typical save-the-world formula.  Lots of political unrest.  Ovbiously lacks in the character development line, seeing as there's 108 recruitable members.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 06:33:45 PM »

The things I like to see most in a story are unique or at least frequently unused themes/concepts/settings. It was appealing in the MegaTen games (pretty much all of them) and Snatcher, and the whole dying earth thing was fascinating for me to read in the Book of the New Sun. With that said, I don't think there's really many stories that are great for just doing the one thing well without anything else being good. DDS wouldn't be the same without the great characters it has, afterall.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

Very good points. I like an RPG that tries to do something different.

The first Shadow Hearts had an interesting story and is the only game I can think of besides SMT Nocturne that's set in the present day.

I like the Xenosaga series for its epic scifi "big concept" story.

I liked FFX because it felt like they genuinely felt like they tried to do something different from past FF games - and I thought the characters were compelling and interesting.

I like Suikoden (the series) because it's well written with interesting plots and generally good characterisation.

I liked Legend of Mana and Tsugunai because they took the RPG formula and gave it a twist - like a short story anthology rather than a full length novel, as most RPGs are.

There's good things about lots of RPGs - just have to look for them.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
The first Shadow Hearts had an interesting story and is the only game I can think of besides SMT Nocturne that's set in the present day.

1915 is present day? :)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 03:39:25 PM »

92 years ago it was.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 04:52:02 PM »

Hm. Wellllll, Earthbound kind of takes place in the present. Also, the Ultima games technically all take place around 1989 or so, although, obviously, not on earth, although that route is sort of silly to take. I think the rest of the SMT series got mentioned already. Jagged Alliance 2 was as much of an RPG as FFT was, and that's modern times. Then there's the second Vampire: The Masquerade game...

Phantasy Star 3 (the graphics were grainy, the music was grating, and the gameplay was slow and clunky

The gameplay wasn't any different from PS2's... The only changes in the battle system were completely aesthetic, as far as I could tell.

Oh, right. The topic. I don't think I'd give it to Ultima 7 'cos good as Ultima 7 was, Big Red was sort of silly, and the racial tension could be a bit heavy handed. Some of the sidestories are totally boss, though.

Had I played Ultima 6 at all yet, I'd probably say that, except odds are that all the people who are telling me it has the world's most amazing story are, in fact, fanboys or liars or just trying to be contrarian to annoy the Ultima 7 kiddies.

Say, Jerry -- Can't we do this based on writing quality instead of story? That's a more intersting 'proach.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 08:11:13 PM »

Shadow Hearts 1 doesn't take place in 1915.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
Shadow Hearts 1 doesn't take place in 1915.

... It's off by only about, what? 2 years? Maybe just ONE?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 12:43:32 AM »

Sorry - I meant in the "real world" not "modern day". (IE In Europe instead of some fantasy land)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: