Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319168 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  suikoden V does it get better?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: suikoden V does it get better?  (Read 8345 times)
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 11:31:18 PM »

right now in suikoden V im at the part where you get your base and im finding myself incredibly bored with the game. of course it doesnt help that the graphics look worse than Suikoden 4's. it almost looks like this game was made inbetween suikoden 3 and 4. so if im bored now is anything gonna change to make the game more enjoyable in the future?
Well I haven't played V but my experience with III and IV is that Suikoden games just get really boring at certain parts. Mostly because you are forced to find a bunch of characters that you may or may not really want and then level them up and equip them, etc. Then there are the times when you have to do something specific to trigger an event but you can't figure out what the hell it is you're supposed to be doing. I don't know if those are your problems but if they are it's just something you'll have to deal with or stop now. I'd probably keep playing though. Once you get your base decked out with shops and characters the game might get more interesting.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 05:10:38 AM »

you guys got the wrong idea(and for good reason i might add) i dont think the game is horrible or anything. it just lacks that "i can't wait to see what happens next" feeling. that in essence is probally why i didnt like ffxii. i wanted to see what was gonna happen next but the gameplay kept blocking me from seeing it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 05:54:28 AM »

Well to me that seems like a very person to person kind of thing, so I dont think we can really assist you there with any point in the game that might give you the feeling.  I gave you the suggestion I did, because by your point, you should have had that feeling and I dont think you will find it anytime soon.  However, the only true way is to play it to beginning to end. *shrug*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 12:13:19 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Dasch didnt like it because apparently you can go through the entire game using only autobattle.....who the fuck WANTS to do that?

Yeah so what if it were easy....not like the other Suikoden games, or hell, fuckin Final Fantasy games werent a piece cake. (XII not withstanding.)

It's not that the battles being easy was the problem, the fact that they were too easy, frequent, and suffered from long load times, only served to drag the pace of the game down when all I wanted to see was the next story line.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 12:18:31 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
I bought Magna Carta, played it for 15 minutes, shut it off and traded it back in. What the hell happened? Everytime I see the game in the store I see the box art and think "Maybe I should give the game another chance." Then I stop myself. I heard the story is good, but battles seem so complicated and slow.

It is and it isn't.  It's the best thing about the game, but at the same time it was extremely flawed, with one of the worst (and most predictable) plot twists I can recall.  The battle system was a huge and utter mess though.

Suikoden V wasn't completely flawless, but by comparison it practically is by default.  I thought it was enjoyable even though the storyline wasn't really one of my favorites overall (I did enjoy it more than any of the others in the series other than possibly Suikoden III though).  As already pointed out the intrigue sucked me in early on, but that sort of thing doesn't really appeal to everyone.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Calamity

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »

I loved Suikoden V, but i'm a long time fan of the series.  Comparing it to IV is just plain wrong though.

Was boring at parts, but had one of the coolest returning characters (George Prime).  The story was predictable, and recruiting all the stars in this game is a horrendous task.. I still rank it 2 or 3rd best Suikoden and a damn fun game to play.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:50 PM »

I'm perplexed by the great reviews of Suikoden V in the fan community. The game is average at best, and fails in so many ways.

I agree. I'm a long time fan of the series, and while some parts of the plot were interesting and well done, overall the game was really lacking. Whether it was the bad graphics to the loading times, to some of the poor characterizations(Lucretia being infallible for one), it left me unsatisfied compared to the first three games(I haven't played much of four, but I'll agree with Alisha that the graphics were beyond fives).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »

Yeah, I think SuikIV may really have been the best looking 3D installment. SuikIII's comparable to Grandia II while SuikV is just... Really bland and dull looking.

I got bored with SuikV, but mean to pick it back up eventually.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Yeah, I think SuikIV may really have been the best looking 3D installment. SuikIII's comparable to Grandia II while SuikV is just... Really bland and dull looking.

I got bored with SuikV, but mean to pick it back up eventually.

To be honest, I actually bought another copy myself, I sold my previous one. I did have fun with the game mostly, and am willing to give it another chance.
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 04:46:25 AM »

Personally, I loved Suikoden V. I had always wanted to play one, but the first and second are really hard to find these days, the third was never released in Europe and from what I heard from the majority of those who played it, the fourth didn't keep the standard of the previous installments. So I was happy to finally have to opportunity to play V. And I absolutely loved it. It has all the elements that I love in RPG's and I always wanted to see what happened next, and which kind of characters I could recruit to my army. Good fun. The only gripe I have with it is the almost insulting level of difficulty. Had it been much harder, I could have been one of the best RPG's I played. Instead, it's just a personal favorite.

I will find you. Without fail.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »

Suikoden V has one of the greatest politically-oriented plots of any RPG to date.

Now, if Konami could figure out how to make gameplay for their RPGs...
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Suikoden V has one of the greatest politically-oriented plots of any RPG to date.

Now, if Konami could figure out how to make gameplay for their RPGs...

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

I think everything about SuikV feels like a substitute for another part of the series. For instance, Zerase is a great substitute for Luc, but a substitute nonetheless. The Sindar Ruins and hints of the Sindar mythos are a great substitute for the Yuber/Pesmerger story, but are a substitute nonetheless. The Twilight and Dawn runes were a nice concept, and great substitutes for True Runes, but substitutes, nonetheless.

You get the picture?

I guess Konami are in a bit of a transitional phase with regards to the whole Suikoden story and are reluctant to take it further until they are a lot clearer on where they want it to go.

Ho, hum. I'm fully expecting SuikVI to have more of this 'filler' feel to it, too, with it being potentially the most under-played entry in the series since Suikoden I.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »

Well, the Sindar have been talked about since the very first game, and we *still* know bugger all about them. I thought they were going to throw us a bone in Suiko V....but nada. That was a bit frustrating.

SuikoV, overall, is a pretty good game.

I like the graphical style - but the camera is absolutely horrendous. I felt like I was playing the original Diablo half the time.

The battle system is pretty much similar to how it's always been, so either you like it or you don't. I don't understand why people are complaining about it. Suiko 3's battle system was much worse.

Suiko V is a funny beast because there are lots of things in there for longtime fans. I felt a bit like they were relying too much on nostalgia for the game.

Yes, the game starts off slow. Painfully slow. It does get better, IMO. I say stick it out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »

I just picked up a new copy of S5, as well as 3 and 4. Which would the Suikoden fans recommend I play?

Also, is it worth playing 5 with a recruiting guide. From what I hear, the stars are basically impossible to get completely without a guide, and the game is fairly long, 50+ hours. Is there anything that great in the new game plus that warrants another play through?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: