Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327815 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  suikoden V does it get better?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: suikoden V does it get better?  (Read 8566 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 07:25:41 PM »

Play Suiko 3, Dasch....just be prepared for annoyance with the "Fourth" PoV.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »

Dash... Yes and Yes.

By this I mean, 5 is the best of that lot, by quite a bit. I quite enjoyed S3, but it's kind of an oddball, and it's not nearly as good as S5. I haven't played 4, but from everything I've heard, it's a complete dog (I've been avoiding it like the plague, myself). As for the guide... yeah, if you want to have even a REMOTE chance of getting all 108, use the guide. Between you and me, I used the guide and I still missed 3 of them.

And trust me, you WANT to get all 108, the ending you get when you don't get all of them is... well... let's just say something inside of me died that night, something that I don't think I'll ever get back. :(
Code:
Lyon... oh poor Lyon :(

Be carefull, it's REALLY easy to miss a few of the stars, as many of them can only be gotten during certain parts of the game. Also, wach out because once in a blue moon, a star will DIE (perminantly) during one of the tacticle battles, it's very rare, but I lost one this way (which by proxy, lost me another one as well), read up on this, unless you want to end up like I did. You have to get all 108 stars to get the good ending... all other endings will make you cry.

That said, Suiko 5 was an amazing game. In my opinion, its the first of the truly great "end of generation" PS2 RPGs.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
That said, Suiko 5 was an amazing game. In my opinion, its the first of the truly great "end of generation" PS2 RPGs.

Except DQVIII came out before it.

Edit: You could make a case for DDS2, though that's kinda incomplete without DDS1, which came significantly earlier. Plus it didn't come out a mere week before the X360 launched. :P
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Prime Mover"

Except DQVIII came out before it.

That's starting to push things a bit, though, SuikoV was within a year of the PS3s release, DQVIII was quite a bit previous... it doesn't seem like it came in with the same batch of goodies as SuikoV. I feel like DQVIII came in more with Wild Arms 4, Grandia 3, and ShadowHearts 3. Oh well, we're splitting hairs here.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 02:31:34 AM »

DQVIII also sucks.

anyways.... suikoden V started to become interesting when the recruit ally nations phase died down and the story started to kick into gear a little but the random battles can get rather annoying. i also liked the part where you meet people from the island nations since it reminded me of suikoden 4. her name escapes me but i really liked that pirate girl in suikoden 4.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lovely

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 07:27:28 AM »

Well, if you're getting to enjoy it now, I think you'll continue to enjoy it. You're right though, the encounter rate is indeed way too high.  There's a rune you can equip that basically cuts out most of the random battles that I highly suggest you pick up. It's somewhat hidden in the last room of a dungeon Jeanne makes you go to to recruit her.  (And after you recruit Jeanne, you can use her ability to put on and remove said rune at your convenience.)

Anyways, my favorite Suikoden will always be 3, simply because well... I just loved everything about it. Characters, story, the looks of the characters, heck, I'm one of the few people in the world who loved the battle system.

5 is a close second though, I had a great time with it all the way through. Even with the "slow" begining.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 01:35:22 PM »

DQVIII also sucks.

Wow, you do complain a lot. I haven't played it myself but I'd probably enjoy it. Most people I know that have played it loved it.

i also liked the part where you meet people from the island nations since it reminded me of suikoden 4. her name escapes me but i really liked that pirate girl in suikoden 4.

Kika?

I've only played Suikoden III and IV and although IV was far from perfect it was still fun. I liked the ship battles and wished there was a lot more of them. There would have to be some harder battles though.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
Wow, you do complain a lot.

Yeah, I'm fairly new here, but I've noticed this.

Although I will say that DQ8 was far from perfect. While I loved the style, the characters, and dialog, and the voice acting was GOD, the battle system, encounter rate, and grinding were attrocious. The overall plot was pretty bland, as well... it could have worked better if the game moved at a bit faster clip, but everything just felt so long and drawn out.

But to say DQ8 sucked is just wrong. The game was a pure gem, it just happened to have some real weak points.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
DQVIII also sucks.

I don't care if I'm flaming. You need this:

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »

DQVIII also sucks.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 03:21:36 PM »

DQVIII also sucks.

anyways.... suikoden V started to become interesting when the recruit ally nations phase died down and the story started to kick into gear a little but the random battles can get rather annoying. i also liked the part where you meet people from the island nations since it reminded me of suikoden 4. her name escapes me but i really liked that pirate girl in suikoden 4.
Can you please give us a reason why you think it sucks? I'm pretty sure you're talking about Kika.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 05:58:45 PM »

Eh, compared to old school RPGs like every Dragon Quest that came before it, the grinding in Dragon Quest VIII was practically non-existent.  If you explore the world and dungeons thorougly, are careful (don't try to get everything done in a single trip to a dungeon) and make good choices in your equipment purchases, you can get away without much grinding at all aside from the first hour or so.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 01:04:56 AM »

I hate saying that one reaalll major kill to Suiko V was its long load times...I hate judging a game on that factor...but speaking gameplay was pretty mundane (though good), it didn't help.

While it feels like that game has everything a good Suiko needs, it feels like it was 2/3's of everything it could have been.  The graphics were good, not great.  THe gameplay was pretty good, not excellent.  The music was nice, not wonderful. Etcetera.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:32 AM »

yes kika. basically the only thing i found likeable about DQ8 was the graphics. it was the first DQ i'd played since dragon warrior on nes and it seemed like little had changed in all those years. none of the playable characters were particularly interesting to me. my memory is scetchy on this but i believe it was quite some time before i obtained a method of reviving characters and i think it was one of those games where revival spells have a % chance of working.....lastly i think i only ever found one mp recovery item wich lead to multiple trips back to town within the same dungeon.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 02:14:50 AM »

...-facepalms- You are the most irrepressible fuckwit, you know that?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: