Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331938 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  suikoden V does it get better?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: suikoden V does it get better?  (Read 8677 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:33:21 AM »

right now in suikoden V im at the part where you get your base and im finding myself incredibly bored with the game. of course it doesnt help that the graphics look worse than Suikoden 4's. it almost looks like this game was made inbetween suikoden 3 and 4. so if im bored now is anything gonna change to make the game more enjoyable in the future?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »

No.  Save us the bitching and stop now.

SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »

Have you played any of the other Suikoden games? Because you seem like you haven't played one before.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »

I got hooked way beforewhere you got up to, and if you're still bored, well, not much I can say. I played it mainly for the story and characters rather than the gameplay. I don't care much about the graphics either so those didn't stop me.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »

Since it seems like we have almost opposite tastes, and I loved that game, and it's battle system is nothing much to speak of, no, you should probably stop playing now. Seeing as though all that game is is one incredible international political plotline with really well defined characters, I don't think you'll  like it.

You don't strike me as the type who would love Suikoden... and Suiko4 was absolute crap, it's hard to base a comparison off a game that bad.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »

If you haven't, try playing Magna Carta will make you appreciate Suikoden V.

Seriously.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »

I think one of the big reasons people like V is it's similarities to I and II. They basically de-evolved the series with V to be more like the earlier games. I don't think this is nessasarily a negative thing, as I loved suikoden V. But if you didn't like the early games, or never played them, then I'm sure V loses something.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »

Quote from: "Lilim"
If you haven't, try playing Magna Carta will make you appreciate Suikoden V.

Seriously.

I bought Magna Carta, played it for 15 minutes, shut it off and traded it back in. What the hell happened? Everytime I see the game in the store I see the box art and think "Maybe I should give the game another chance." Then I stop myself. I heard the story is good, but battles seem so complicated and slow.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »

Oddly enough, I'm not a patient person yet I finished Magna Carta.  Battles are so freaking slow.  Hell, walking to search for enemies is freaking slow.  Battles are not complicated at all.  It's all about pushing buttons at the right time and then waiting for some other character to have a turn.  Repeat ad nauseam.  The only thing you had to think about were the elemental affinites.  But that doesn't do anything to detract from how boring the battle system is.  No joke: I read manga during the battles because the waiting was so long.  I finished several of them and found they were more enjoyable than the game.  

As for Suikoden V, I'm rather fond of it.  I was glad to see the series get back on track after the stumble that is game IV.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »

I think I was about 2/3rds done when I stopped playing it. It was a mix of boredom and disgust at cutesy shit like the beavers/mole-people/whatever the hell they were.
I actually really liked Suiko I & II, so the similarities certainly didn't bother me.
I may go back to it someday, if only for the story. I really just want to know if(early game spoiler->)
Code:
the original king and queen are really dead.
- don't tell me, either!
I just find it somewhat ironic that Suikoden V has this great adult storyline, but feels the need to interject talking beavers and such. Sometimes talking animals work, most of the time they don't.
Maybe I'm just cranky.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »

I'm perplexed by the great reviews of Suikoden V in the fan community. The game is average at best, and fails in so many ways. Gameplay is made for 5 year olds, load times are the slowest I've ever seen, and the story is so slow it makes Xenosaga 1 seem fast paced.

I think people were just so happy to have a new suikoden game that didn't suck they couldn't help but touch themselves.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:39:33 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
right now in suikoden V im at the part where you get your base and im finding myself incredibly bored with the game. of course it doesnt help that the graphics look worse than Suikoden 4's. it almost looks like this game was made inbetween suikoden 3 and 4. so if im bored now is anything gonna change to make the game more enjoyable in the future?

God with how much you whine and complain about video games lately it makes me wonder why you even pick them up.

Just stop playing it so I dont have to hear you bitch.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
I'm perplexed by the great reviews of Suikoden V in the fan community. The game is average at best, and fails in so many ways. Gameplay is made for 5 year olds, load times are the slowest I've ever seen, and the story is so slow it makes Xenosaga 1 seem fast paced.

I think people were just so happy to have a new suikoden game that didn't suck they couldn't help but touch themselves.

I thought IV was the only one that sucked?

I played one, two and three and they were all good. Skipped four and five because I lost interest. But five generated decent reviews.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »

Dasch didnt like it because apparently you can go through the entire game using only autobattle.....who the fuck WANTS to do that?

Yeah so what if it were easy....not like the other Suikoden games, or hell, fuckin Final Fantasy games werent a piece cake. (XII not withstanding.)

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 08:55:33 PM »

Agreement with Dade.

Suiko V had a "few" failings, but in the overall scheme of things, it was an amazing game.  As both an rpg and Suikoden fan.  I personally put it right next to II in terms of how much I enjoyed it, because both gave me that same feeling.

I enjoyed the battle system, the difficulty, easy or not, didn't bother me.  The load times, *shrug*  I was having to much fun to really notice them I guess.  If I played for an exceptionally long time, they started to nag, but everything does when you play for to long imo.  

Anywho, I say if you havnt enjoyed it already, you arnt going to enjoy it any more.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: