Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 02:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329910 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IX battle system revealed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX battle system revealed  (Read 2333 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »

It's not what we thought it was.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:17:13 PM »

Well not like this is a bad thing. I don't think Dragon Quest /should/ be an action-RPG, because quite frankly I find it as fun as it is. I do wish they'd get rid of the transition screen and just go straight to battle a la Chrono Trigger, but at least you can see the enemies now.

If it's anywhere near as good as DQVIII was, I'll buy it.

In before the "more of the same" commentary starts flying.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:54:07 PM »

So, that trailer we saw a long time ago, was that them just messing around with an action style battle system? Or maybe that's how multiplayer battling will work?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:02:53 PM »

They could've also changed it because of the reaction japanese players gave it upon seeing it. If that's the case... Hmm. On one hand, I'm disappointed they'd back off from trying something different just because people are afraid of trying something new. On the other hand, this is the most traditional of JRPGs - this isn't like BoF transforming with Dragon Quarter or anything, just another series.

Ofcourse, if they didn't change this due to the backlash, then I want to know WTF's up with what we originally saw.
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »

I think it's better off staying with the traditional turn-based system. I really couldn't see Dragon Quest with an action-based system.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »

I don't mind either way really. I would have liked an action oriented battle system, but as long as the turn-based system retains the polish of DQVIII I'll enjoy it.

I really dig the fact you get to customize the appearance of the Hero this time too, but I have a bad feeling it won't be all that deep. One can hope though, right?
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »

Customization also usually leads to bland storytelling. I hope they're JUST talking about the main character... because I'd like some really well worked-out characters I can sink my teeth into. Otherwise, forget it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »

There's a picture on IGN of the current version. Looking at that then the older screens, yeah, I think this was changed due to backlash.

I've reached 2000 posts! What a completely unmemorable post to achieve that with.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1141.html

I'm glad it's turn based also.  Various recent RPGs I've played that eschewed turn-based systems for more real-timey action oriented systems have been clunky and not fun for me to play.  For example, I'm not at all fond of battling in FF12 or Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army.  I'd have enjoyed those games more if they were turn based (in DS:RK, it'd have made demon captures easier and less twiddly.)  

I'm glad that Dragon Quest is remaining a last bastion for good ol' fashioned turn-based RPG gaming.  I prefer turn-based battling to realtime battling since my reflexes ain't what they used to be.    

As for customizing the main character, I like that.  This way the character seems more immersive/me.  So long as the supporting cast have good dialogue and everything, I'm not worried.  I've played many awesome RPGs with "mute" protagonists and if I can make the protagonist's appearance in my own particular idiom, great.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 12:19:19 PM »

Aw, Square-Enix succumbs to their fans way too often these days. I was hoping for something really unique!

So does this mean there's no more multiplayer?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 12:25:19 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

As for customizing the main character, I like that.  This way the character seems more immersive/me.  So long as the supporting cast have good dialogue and everything, I'm not worried.  I've played many awesome RPGs with "mute" protagonists and if I can make the protagonist's appearance in my own particular idiom, great.

I think you've forgotten that we're still dealing with Toryiama.  You just know that, no matter how long you spend customizing, it's still gonna look like a Dragon Ball castoff. :P

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
So does this mean there's no more multiplayer?

Here's what the article says: "In the case of multiplayer, each of the players will select commands for their characters shown at the bottom part of the screen."

I think it'll probably be something like the multplayer battle system from Swords & Serpents. It might be fun, but I can imagine combat being pretty slow.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »

Maybe they'll still do something creative and interesting with it even though it sounds like a generic turn based battle system. I mean, SMT:N had a pretty standard battle system but because, like, status immunities and most of the spells were actually USEFUL for a change it came off as pretty interesting.

Then again, unless it's really well made, I can't see myself having an interest in this. Something like Phantasy Star 2's battle system doesn't really pass as gameplay for me anymore.

The multiplayer setup sounds really !@#%ing retarded and useless, but millions of people will probably love it anyway for some reason.

Aaalso just 'cos you can walk around during the battles in FFXII doesn't mean that's it's not basically the ATB system the series has been using since FFIV~~~

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »

Online has been removed.

Son of a bitch. Also, I consider DQVIII's battle system entertaining despite being the basis of every other JRPG's turn based system. But then that was more due to making status ailments and the like genuinely useful, while other RPGs... They're there just because they're supposed to be an obligatory addition or something, even though they're useless.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 12:22:02 AM »

YAY! No more random battles AND a turn-based system, anticipation just went through the roof.

Also, since it IS turn based now multi-player would be boring as HELL, glad they are focusing on the single-player now. :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: