Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nintendo buys Monolith Soft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo buys Monolith Soft  (Read 6261 times)
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »

I thought the Xenosaga series ended quite nicely.  As for Baten Kaitos,  BKO was an amazing game.  I would jump for joy if they made a new one for the Wii.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »

Ooooh, Xenosaga party game.

This feels sudden.  Mind you, I kinda like both companies.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 01:55:27 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
I smell a Baten Kaitos 3 for Wii.

So THAT'S what that aweful smell was... I was beginning to wonder.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 03:11:57 PM »

Ouch with the BK hate.  I'll admit the first BK had its problems.  Have you played BKO?  That game is so much fun.  IMO, they improved the battle system and the characters/story were pretty well developed.  BKO was my second favorite game of last year behind XSIII.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 03:21:24 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
Ouch with the BK hate.  I'll admit the first BK had its problems.  Have you played BKO?  That game is so much fun.  IMO, they improved the battle system and the characters/story were pretty well developed.  BKO was my second favorite game of last year behind XSIII.

Admittedly, no. Maybe worth checking out... maybe not. BK still holds my record for the only video game I've ever returned and demanded my money back. Also, the only video game I've ever played that was almost completely ruined by bad voice acting (well, bad dialog too). Usually at 7 hours in, I'm hooked on a game, whether or not it ends up being a great game or not... 7 hours in, I just about wanted to put a pistol to my head, I was so bored and fed-up. Oh, and it didn't help that it felt like it was constantly trying to pay homage to Chrono Cross, graphically and sonically. So yes, I only played it for about 8 hours, but I could see that it was going to become pretentious, which I have no patience for.

So yeah, I'm kinda weary of BK titles. Someone will have to give me a DAMN good reason as to how the series has somehow turned itself around.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »

Ugh...I don't like that news.  Now not only can't I hope for a cinematic next-gen Xeno (unlikely but until now still possible) now I can't even hope for a next-gen Baten Kaitos.  I'd rather not have a motion-sensitive real-time combat 60hr RPG in place of one even if it were possible, just like how I much prefer traditional RPGs to Action-RPGs when I have to choose what to buy.  I still would have bought my copy of Twilight Princess for my Gamecube even if I had a Wii.

I liked the idea of a high-def KOS-MOS action game, and was still holding out some faint hope that one day we might see the second cinematic trilogy for Xenosaga, especially after Xeno 3 was actually a pretty damn good all-around RPG, but I guess not anymore.

I don't see how Namco wouldn't still own the rights, since they published both series of games worldwide.  That'd be like Bungie getting sold by MS to Nintendo and MS allowing Bungie to keep making Halos with Master Chief for Nintendo wouldn't it?  Then again Naughty Dog seems to be allowing another developer to pimp Crash Bandicoot to every system under the sun with terrible games so who knows...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »

Quote from: "Kos-mos"
Now not only can't I hope for a cinematic next-gen Xeno (unlikely but until now still possible) now I can't even hope for a next-gen Baten Kaitos.

Uhhh... Nintendo published BKO in both the US and Japan anyway. I'm pretty sure they (Monolith Soft) own the rights, or Namco doesn't give a shit and would just hand them off with Monolith Soft anyway. And I heard it mentioned that the XS characters had a separate copyright attached to them in NamcoXCapcom - to me that implies they own it, not Namco.

Edit: And it's worth noting a few things with the motion control. TP =/= Warioware in regards to usage. WarioWare is the game that you'll be spazzing out while playing. TP is the one where you're sitting down just wiggling the controllers every so often. If that's your concern, then stop worrying.

As for the whole cinematic angle, you wouldn't have flashy HD graphics, no, but the Wii is still more powerful than the PS2, so there'd still be a quality jump.

Edit 2: I just realized how ridiculous it is to say "I heard blah blah blah" in the thread I heard said blah blah blah. Whoops. :P
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
As for the whole cinematic angle, you wouldn't have flashy HD graphics, no, but the Wii is still more powerful than the PS2, so there'd still be a quality jump.

That's what I've been saying. Somehow... people feel just fine continuing to purchase PS2 games which suffer from no-smoothing, low poly count, terrible (non-existant) lighting effects, and low shader count... yet someone announces they're doing a Wii title, and suddenly it's the end of the world.

Play Tales of Symphonia... and you'll become a convert, trust me. And the Wii is about 2.5 times as powerful as the GC, and has much more advanced graphical capabilities.

For instance, FF13, released on the Wii, in comparison to FF12, would likely be the largest graphical jump in the series since FF6->FF7... even the difference between Playstation and PS2 didn't turn out to be all that big a deal, PS2 -> Wii, is going to be a huge improvement.

I dunno, sounds like another "Wii is for ADD kids" type of post, to me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 06:30:44 PM »

Ok, I think FFXII to XIII on Wii is blowing the Wii's capabilities out of proportion. Hell, unless I'm surprised when I get the game I'm pretty sure the jump from PS2 to PS3 won't seem that huge. Still though, the Wii, at least on paper, is comparable to the Xbox. And Xbox games still look pretty good compared to the PS3/X360.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Ok, I think FFXII to XIII on Wii is blowing the Wii's capabilities out of proportion. Hell, unless I'm surprised when I get the game I'm pretty sure the jump from PS2 to PS3 won't seem that huge. Still though, the Wii, at least on paper, is comparable to the Xbox. And Xbox games still look pretty good compared to the PS3/X360.

How is this possible when the GameCube was comparible to the XBox (maybe about 80% power, or something, but it sure looked just as good in practice), and the Wii is quite obviously a few times more powerful than that, with a number of added graphics capabilities? 2.5x as powerful may not be a very substantial processing boost... but that's not taking into account the new lighting effects, of which the GC surpassed the XBox in that area.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 09:26:42 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
How is this possible when the GameCube was comparible to the XBox (maybe about 80% power, or something, but it sure looked just as good in practice), and the Wii is quite obviously a few times more powerful than that, with a number of added graphics capabilities? 2.5x as powerful may not be a very substantial processing boost... but that's not taking into account the new lighting effects, of which the GC surpassed the XBox in that area.

I'll quote myself here.
Still though, the Wii, at least on paper, is comparable to the Xbox.

I won't argue with the GC's graphical capabilities, while it didn't have as good looking of the multi-console titles, it still was just a few steps shy of the Xbox's level, and that's mostly just because of lower polygons. HOWEVER, on paper they are pretty much evenly matched up. The diffences in specs, however, are largely neglible. The only clear cut advantage the Wii has is some extra ram, and even then that's about 10-20 MB more overall (I think the Xbox had 64 MB). And developers have said both systems have unique strengthes and weaknesses.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 02:57:56 AM »

My feeling, and I've stated this before, is that hardware anti-aliasing provides just about a generations-worth of graphical enhancement, as it is. To me, the difference between PS2 and GC are almost as large as the difference between PS1 -> PS2. Also, Nintendo's insistance on the Nth degree of cleanliness and polish is a big one too.

I've always been a firm believer that the biggest variable in quality has less to do with quality than it does with the manufacturer's ability to get the very best out of their developers. Nintendo has always been a monolith, when it comes to this... demanding the Nth degree of perfection. Sega used to be up there too... but Sony and Microsoft seem to have a bit more of a laissez-faire attitude towards requiring the best from their developers. Games for Nintendo systems, no matter the complexity of their graphics... just feel so damn polished.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »

Monolith is already making a game for Nintendo, it's called Disaster Day of Crisis, where you are a guy running around saving people under different circumstances
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I've always been a firm believer that the biggest variable in quality has less to do with quality than it does with the manufacturer's ability to get the very best out of their developers. Nintendo has always been a monolith, when it comes to this... demanding the Nth degree of perfection. Sega used to be up there too... but Sony and Microsoft seem to have a bit more of a laissez-faire attitude towards requiring the best from their developers. Games for Nintendo systems, no matter the complexity of their graphics... just feel so damn polished.

I think you mean first party games from Nintendo feel polished, which I totally agree with on their big titles like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc..  The same can be said for many developers who care about what they are doing and tend to focus on one console at a time.  And I still think it's an overexaggeration since the Gamecube had only a handful of games that meet that description (though they were just as awesome as the best efforts on the other consoles, just not as many games reaching that level) and the N64 fewer, I think we can count on one hand the number of "polished" games.

Graphics are only one piece of the puzzle but that said I really don't see how anyone can say that the jump from PS2 Final Fantasy to PS3 Final Fantasy isn't going to "that big" graphically.  That's like saying that MGS4 looks like a pretty PS2 game...which would be a transparently fanboyish statement or that the FF7 tech demo wasn't wow-worthy even though they're probably going to surpass it.  I realize that Wii isn't exactly a GBA in terms of graphical power but that's no reason to downplay the awesome graphics of the PS3 and 360 that are completely unattainable on the Wii and how great a role they can play in the hands of the right developers.  Especially in a genre where presentation (visual style, sound, music, etc.) and story are some of the most important aspects like in JRPGs.  The Wii may be a nice console but IMO it's best features do not coincide with traditional JRPGs (that's not to say that it can't make some PS2/Gamecube level ones if pushed hard enough), they coincide best with other genres of gaming.

But then again, I also really like the early story hints we're getting about FFXIII's plot and Lightening's place in the game world and the fast-paced cinematic ATB system they've been describing seems like exactly what I want from the next FF (FFX-2's only good point was it's fast-paced version of the standard FF system, so if it's something like that but enhanced with new features and minus the dress-spheres then it might be one of the best FF battle systems in ages).  And if they can use the advanced graphical abilities of the PS3 to enhance the scale of the story and make a more lively game world then I'm all over that for a big-budget RPG series like Final Fantasy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 04:32:14 AM »

Actually, I do think the same about the jump from MGS3 to MGS4, at least from what we've seen. It looks fantastic so far, certainly, but you can't possibly tell me that's as big of a jump as going from pixalated, bobbing heads to highly detailed faces with actual facial movement.

As for your point with the first party games... That'd kinda by proxy extend to second party ones too more often than not, like Monolith Soft is now. In fact, regardless of personal opinion I'd be a liar if I said Baten Kaitos wasn't one of the best looking GC titles there was. If you'll argue that, I'll just point out Metroid Prime's developer, Retro Studios, is also 2nd party. I can't really argue with 3rd parties though. I suspect many developers are thinking that since Wii = less powerful, they don't have to even try like they did on the GC.

And fuck the focus on presentation/story in JRPGs... and video games period as of late. I'd care if more of the stories were worth a damn or at least didn't get in the way of gameplay, but instead it's a constant stream of dumb corny crap that takes itself too seriously, and we have to spend half an hour hearing about the power of love or friendship or whatever the fuck before I can actually play again. In fact, it's basically presentation that's the problem here - if the story's good, it'll remain good as long as there's enough to convey it. But a bad story will just be made worse when it's conveyed in a movie-like manner, and even the better ones can have their flaws made more evident that way. Plus particularly crafty developers can make do with weaker hardware - VS is leagues ahead of most PSX games there, even MGS in ways.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: