Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329868 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A new Star Ocean?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: A new Star Ocean?  (Read 6475 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 02:22:09 AM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
No DS game. Please. I was already let down by Dragon Quest; Star Ocean better not follow suit.
DQIX isn't out yet.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 02:46:12 AM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
No DS game. Please. I was already let down by Dragon Quest; Star Ocean better not follow suit.

It's not even out. What the fuck is wrong with you?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 06:28:32 AM »

i fail to see how star oceans battle system would be suited tot he DS? please explain yourself or are you just being a fanboy?

also i thought heard on the irc chan that tri ace left square enix?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »

Tri-Ace was never a part of Squareenix to begin with. I'm surprised to see they are coming out with another Star Ocean game. I thought the series was finished after the 3rd game.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
i fail to see how star oceans battle system would be suited tot he DS? please explain yourself or are you just being a fanboy?

I can see the DS touch-screen control system being far more intuitive than push-button scenarios for any action-based battle system. For instance, character switching could be much more intuitive this way. Perhaps an overview of character positions on the bottom screen that allows you to quickly swap between them at a touch, etc. While clearly feasible with a controller, it'd take less time and be less hassle with direct input.

I can also see the inclusion of gestures for different parts of a combo, or even for different spells. Maybe instead of a single set of attacks per character, you could have branching sets, etc.

I'd be very interested to see how this sort of interface opens up the SO battle system.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »

I think SO2's battle system is a little too chaotic for the DS, personally. I'm hoping I'll be proved wrong. Here's hoping it's a new SO rather than a re-release.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 11:51:36 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"

I can see the DS touch-screen control system being far more intuitive than push-button scenarios for any action-based battle system. For instance, character switching could be much more intuitive this way. Perhaps an overview of character positions on the bottom screen that allows you to quickly swap between them at a touch, etc. While clearly feasible with a controller, it'd take less time and be less hassle with direct input.

I can also see the inclusion of gestures for different parts of a combo, or even for different spells. Maybe instead of a single set of attacks per character, you could have branching sets, etc.

I'd be very interested to see how this sort of interface opens up the SO battle system.

good point. something else i thought of is that you could set one screen to track a specific character so you can see if they are in trouble. or a radar so that the screen wouldnt have to be zoomed out.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 05:05:41 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"

SO would be crap on the DS. For proof turn to Tales of the Tempest, another real time action based RPG that was utterly ruined on the DS.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 10:49:48 AM »

Maybe it wouldn't be half bad if it went to a battle style similar to SO1... but that would seem a bit like a step-backwards for Tri-Ace, and they seem more inclined to improve.

Either or, I personally find Tri-Ace masters of creating some sort of new and innovative battle system.  With that and my bias for them, I'm sure it'll be fine. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

SO would be crap on the DS. For proof turn to Tales of the Tempest, another real time action based RPG that was utterly ruined on the DS.

The defeatist attitude aside, we are talking two different companies. Just because Namco-Bandai couldn't cope doesn't mean tri-Ace won't be able to.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 10:48:24 PM »

While they might be able to rig something that kinda works, I just don't think realtime, "almost" full roaming battlefields with fast almost action-game like character controls of multiple character would be best on the DS.  If Tales' 2D-plane realtime battles aren't well suited then I can't see how SO's style of combat would be "better" since it's even more complex (in terms of openness and things you can do, not necessarily combos since that's subjective), unless they changed the combat system to something different from what they've been refining thru SO3.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 03:47:29 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Crap Bandai-Namco outsourced to Dimps doesn't constitute as proof of anything, I'd rather on DS with a decent setup than on Wii with waggle (unless they can make it work without slashing every second... Zelda controls won't work here). I doubt it's on 360, that'd be a nice surprise, but S-E told Nintendo fans to look forward to new announcements at the party.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 07:47:27 AM »

Quote from: "Kos-mos"
If Tales' 2D-plane realtime battles aren't well suited then I can't see how SO's style of combat would be "better".

We're talking about completely different companies. Just because the company that made Tales on DS couldn't make that type of battle system to work, doesn't mean Tri-Ace won't.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »

Sure it does. It stems from the DS innate design.

The reason ToT has a crappy battle system is because they attempted to make it into a 3D battlefield - pretty much exactly the same as SO's actually, with a few changes. The reason it was bad is because the DS's screen size was way too small to accomodate the real time battle system set on more or less a 3D field. The DS's screen is such that a side scrolling Tales game would work, but one with a 3D field would be absolutely horrid - and that's what happened with ToT, and what will happen with SO, considering that a field where you can move in more than two directions has been its main feature of battle system since its conception.

Also, in regards to Mark's ideas for battle flow: that would be HORRIBLE. If you do the whole character switching thing on the touch screen with battles on the top screen, all that would make for is a clunky interface where you have to either run around like a headless chicken while looking at the bottom screen and using your thumb to touch the corresponding character, or using the stylus and stopping dead in your tracks leaving yourself open to attack. Bad idea, and would make gameplay a terrible hassle. And gestures for different combos? In a game that's dependant on twitch reflex that would be insanely annoying and, again, clunky as hell. You'd attack, and then you'd take your eyes off the top screen while you attempt to perform the appropriate gestures on the bottom, again leaving yourself open for attack.

The DS's hardware design, along with my general distrust of tri-Ace's competency, makes me completely lacking in any faith that a SO game on the DS will be anything but a complete pile of horse shit. The DS is not a be all, end all system; there are games that'll work on it, and there are games that won't. Star Ocean belongs in the latter.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »

TotT just didn't have very good overall design.  Usually I stick with my Japanese RPGs for a couple of hours, but I just tossed TotT into the "fuck that" pile after half an hour.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: