Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 01:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327153 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Revenant Wings... Fuck.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Revenant Wings... Fuck.  (Read 2587 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »

IGN loony Anoop Gantayat just put up a short preview of FFXII: Revenant Wings, and... well, I'm thinking of canceling my preorder. He does so much jizzing over Final Fantasy X-2 before he goes into the new DS title, with comment along the lines of, "can it live up to its FFX counterpart?" That I'm currently feeling kinda nautious... gonna vom.

What's the gaming world coming to when reviewers make statements like that; automatically assuming that everyone feels that FFX-2 was a great success. Hell, my favorite RPG to date is FF8, but at least I understand that there are a lot of people who don't agree. So, when FF13 rolls around, I'm not going to be going around saying things like, "FF13 is good, but does it live up to the greatness that was FF8?". And even so, FF8 tends to, at the very least, get a warmer reception than FFX: Charlie's Angels. IGN needs to give this guy the boot for his piss-poor choice of reviewing style.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/783/783724p1.html

Still, might be a good game. Although it's "mission based" approach greatly concerns me, it's part of the single reason why I don't play tactical RPGs. An RTS/RPG sounds interesting though, it sure worked well for SuikoV.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »

It's stuff like that that has made me stop even visiting IGN. They're hardly a GAMES NETWORK anylonger.

As for RW? Eh...I'll wait to see what the reviews say.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »

I'm going to avoid it regardless of how it plays, because I never played FFXII.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »

After checking the preview, I think your dislike for FFX-2 is clouding your judgment.  I thought the couple of comparisons he made between X-2 & Revenant Wings were perfectly reasonable comparisons to make (both are set after the main game, are lighter than the main storyline, and use different gameplay systems than the original games).

So he starts the preview off by stating that FFX-2 is a good game?  Well, he's a reviewer so he's allowed to have his opinions and it's not like that's a particularly unpopular opinion to have either (FFX-2 has an 86% average score on game sites according to gamerankings.com).  Plus, it was simply the intro to the preview; the bulk of the preview said nothing about FFX-2.

In short, I thought it was a fine preview.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:45:20 PM »

I'm not at all surprised that Revenant Wings is shaping up to be a completely different animal from FFXII proper considering the team behind it.

If you'll notice in my preview of the game earlier this year (I did that preview back in February), the director of Revenant Wings is Motomu Toriyama who was the director for X and X-2.  Therefore, I would think any X-2 comparisons are semi-valid since that's some of Toriyama's prior work.  

http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/ff12-rw/index.html

I actually was looking forward to the game when I was doing that preview... but not so much any more because though I love FFXII's characters (Balthier and Basch are awesome), I don't find the game fun to play at all; to be honest, I find it an absolute chore to play.  And if Revenant Wings harkens back to FFXII's battle engine, I'll have to pass.

I approve of this nonsense!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 12:37:52 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
IGN loony Anoop Gantayat just put up a short preview of FFXII: Revenant Wings, and... well, I'm thinking of canceling my preorder. He does so much jizzing over Final Fantasy X-2 before he goes into the new DS title, with comment along the lines of, "can it live up to its FFX counterpart?" That I'm currently feeling kinda nautious... gonna vom.

What's the gaming world coming to when reviewers make statements like that; automatically assuming that everyone feels that FFX-2 was a great success. Hell, my favorite RPG to date is FF8, but at least I understand that there are a lot of people who don't agree. So, when FF13 rolls around, I'm not going to be going around saying things like, "FF13 is good, but does it live up to the greatness that was FF8?". And even so, FF8 tends to, at the very least, get a warmer reception than FFX: Charlie's Angels. IGN needs to give this guy the boot for his piss-poor choice of reviewing style.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/783/783724p1.html

Still, might be a good game. Although it's "mission based" approach greatly concerns me, it's part of the single reason why I don't play tactical RPGs. An RTS/RPG sounds interesting though, it sure worked well for SuikoV.

i'm curious why mission based gameplay disuades you from tactical rpg's?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:47:45 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
i'm curious why mission based gameplay disuades you from tactical rpg's?

Because it usually comes at the sacrifice of susinct, plot-based gameplay that progresses in a finely-crafted fashion. It also usually comes at the expensive of all exploritory elements. If I can't walk around, see the world, and talk to people, how am I supposed to get a good grasp of the setting in which the characters are being portrayed? That's the strength video games have over other narrative mediums. I'm not suggesting the abandonment of linear-gameplay... on the contrary, I'm a huge advocate of the pre-determined plotline over non-linearity... but not to the extent that the audience has no chance to get out and take in the world, on ones own terms.

Give me a tacticle RPG that also enchorages exploration, and I'll gladly play it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 02:53:36 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Give me a tacticle RPG that also enchorages exploration, and I'll gladly play it.

Give me a sentence that doesn't confuse two commonly used words with testicles and the Alaskan city of Anchorage, and I'll offer a decent reply. :P

As for the original subject at hand; from the very beginning, I wasn't impressed with Revenant Wings. Hell, I haven't been that impressed with XII in general. But who knows, Revenant Wings could be good.

Also, Mr. Anoop Gantayat may not have been uplifting X-2 so much as saying that Revenant Wings may not even overcome X-2's relative success. Whatever the critics may have said about the game, X-2's US sales weren't half bad, and despite having a not-so-impressive plot, the gameplay was pretty decent. You generally can't go wrong with a good job/ability system, IMO.

Ramza

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 04:27:04 AM »

Because it usually comes at the sacrifice of susinct, plot-based gameplay that progresses in a finely-crafted fashion.

i dont know wich ones you've been playing but plenty of tactical rpg's have nice plots. fire emblems plots can be weak at times,but ive enjoyed the plots of the two super robot taisen original generation games as well as front mission 3 and 4,and to a lesser degree final fanyasy tactics but NOT tactics advance.

It also usually comes at the expensive of all exploritory elements. If I can't walk around, see the world, and talk to people, how am I supposed to get a good grasp of the setting in which the characters are being portrayed?

have you only played NIS tactical rpg's? not being able to talk to people sounds unfounded. as for exploration what can i say? you cant please everyone and not everyone enjoys exploration. i dont need to get out and explore to be imersed in a game world.

um revenant wings looks secret of manish in screenshots so i suppose it has some potential to be fun. and i liked everything about the game(ffXII) except gameplay implementation.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 05:16:34 AM »

The closest parallel I can draw FFXII:RW to is Growlanser. It's sort of a RTS-RPG and the characters each have different jobs and abilities unique to them. You use the stylus to select units either indivdually or as a group and click on the enemy to attack or location to move to and they make their way there at a somewhat slow pace.

It's okay fun, but I loved the original FFXII much more. But then again, I hated Growlanser, so your experience may vary.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 05:24:24 AM »

Well, now I'm interested. And here I was thinking I could blow off this attempt at whoring out FF.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »

Yeah, that Growlanser comment has me all interested for this game suddenly.  I didn't care much for FFXII, but I thought Growlanser 2&3 were great fun.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: