Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 05:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341238 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Top 14 Guilty Pleasures for Gaming
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Top 14 Guilty Pleasures for Gaming  (Read 3276 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:40:17 PM »

I kinda feel insulted by this list, since only two of them really apply to me.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-top-14-guilty-pleasures-of-gaming-31174.phtml

Thoughts?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:26:36 AM »

About 10 of the things listed apply to me and honestly, I still like them regardless.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:47:17 AM »

The only one that nailed me is playing oldschool NES or SNES games. But I can't help it sometimes. Whenever it happens that I get a Wii (hopefully in July or August!), well, let the good times roll!
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 02:52:40 AM »

Heh, only retro gaming applied to me, but their reasoning didn't really fit me. I don't have 1000 dollar plus current gen stuff sitting around not being played. Just a second year ps2, and 2 games for it.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:41:37 AM »

Why is retro gaming even on this list? I also like old movies, music from over 100 years ago, and old photography... why should gaming be any different? It's called "not just following the latest fad," or "noticing that games from all eras have value." I really really hate it when people refuse to look at anything but only the very latest things.

I got into a discussion the other day, after a friend of mine was going to go see "Disturbia". I was kinda pissed because I told him that it was basically a Hitchcock film re-packaged in contemporary america. I asked him if he wanted to go rent "Rear Window", instead. And he looked at me like there was something horribly wrong with me.

People who are unable to enjoy work created throughout the ages have usually just been sucked into the corporate trends of the age. But on the flipside... I know a lot of gamers who always think the golden age of gaming is over. I believe that gaming, film, music, and all genres are just as strong now as they have ever been... they're just different. if you believe that the golden age of gaming is past, you're probably just over-correcting AGAINST the corporatist trends, and blinding yourself to a large body great works.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:55:10 AM »

A lot of those listed apply to me, but... This really just seems to be a list to apply to the 'typical gamer'. The kind that's more hyped up over the latest big game like Halo, GTA, GoW (either) and whatever. I don't really see most of those as being real guilty pleasures except with the aforementioned crowd. In fact, what's WoW doing at the top of that list? I don't care for it, but I somehow doubt that's a guilty pleasure if you're seriously devoted to games as it is, since half of everyone plays it anyway. Maybe it's the same way as junk food being a guilty pleasure, I dunno.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »

I felt like the writer was really grasping for straws on a lot of things.  However, I agree with Hentai games being on the guilt list.  Seriously, even merely reading about some of the H games out there SHOULD make you feel icky enough that you want to immediately take a shower, brush your teeth, and gargle with an extra helping of Listerine.  

I'd probably put dating sims/love adventures in the guilty pleasure category too.  I don't feel guilty about it here in this gaming community as those and non-romantic visual novels are my niche on the site, but when the guys in the locker room are talking about Halo or Gears of War, I'm likely NOT going to mention my fascination with Memories Off.  

One interesting thing is that the guilt we feel regarding our guilty pleasures is fleeting.  I'll feel a shred of guilt for about 15 seconds when I think about how much I enjoy love adventures, but then I just shrug and play them.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »

Pffft. It's just gaming. Nobody should let gaming let them feel self conscious. :P

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »

Oh noes Pokemon.

Seriously, what the fuck is the obsession with "top 25... 10... whatever" lists these days? "Top 25 worst games!" "Top 25 best games!" "Top 25 games you'd never play unless you were wearing a viking helmet on your ass!".

Like Neal said, this is pretty reaching.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Top 25 games you'd never play unless you were wearing a viking helmet on your ass!"

Now that's a top list I'd actually WANT to see.  :P  Lost Vikings and Norse by Norsewest better be on that list.  Those games are fun, but they'd be hella more fun if I wore a viking helmet on my ass while playing them.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 10:29:49 PM »

Man, only two of those apply to me: Retro games and music games.

Not that I've played DDR in like two years..

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:21:48 AM »

Mine would be the DDR and Animal Crossing ones.  I use DDR as a way to get my daily exercise, so I don't feel guilty about that one at all.  Animal Crossing is fun, but once I got my statue/bugs/fossils/fish/house decked out, I quit.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 07:58:42 AM »

I bought Pokemon Diamond when it came out. I haven't played a pokemon game since Blue.

I played Animal Crossing DS for a while, but I cheated by getting free money from people using the wi fi. So, I got bored and felt like there was no point to playing anymore. I did like the game a lot though. I've wanted to buy it again, but I keep talking myself out of it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »

Yeah, not too much applies to me here.

Retro gaming.... and is it so wrong to love Harvest Moon? Newer games in the series have more story and goals to accomplish now. It's gotten a bit better with each new installment. It's improved since the days of SNES.

I guess the secret desire to snuggle a horse gets the better of me every time. Well played, Natsume.
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 02:23:44 PM »

Retro Games and Anime Games are the only 2 things on the list that apply to me.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: