Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 11:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337768 Posts in 13830 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Poll: audio samples
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poll: audio samples  (Read 2416 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

Over the years I've had people write in about their inability to listen to our "streaming" audio samples (and by "streaming" I mean "really outdated formatting"). So, please answer this poll and provide any comments alongside it so I can work with this part of the soundtracks section in future updates.

Thanks!
Patrick

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »

Have you considered some other streaming audio format? A lot of people are turned off by Real because of bloated software that is intrusive and aggresively associates all media file handlers with itself, and because the audio quality really isn't that good. Ogg, QuickTime or mp3 would all be much better options.

In my opinion, anyway.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:07:57 AM »

The samples work for me fine, though occasionally RealPlayer freezes up on me. I am not really fond of the program myself, and many people I feel the same way on RealPlayer, and don't like to have it. Like Cauton suggested, try finding a new audio format you can use for samples in order to reach a broader audience. There is bound to be something else or more up to date you can use, and still make it legal if that's the reason you've been sticking with Real. This is your field after all, and I am sure you will think of a good idea to improve the section.

That's my two cents.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 02:32:43 PM »

I just hate Real Player, Patrick....

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »

It's kinda sad, really:  the soundtrack samples are what originally brought me here, yet I haven't listened to them in years because I refuse to put that bloated piece of shit software on my machine ever again.

Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »

Even if I were willing to install RealPlayer on my precious iBook, I can't! I'm running Mac OSX, which as I understand it, is not RealPlayer friendly.

Not that I'd download Realplayer if I could.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:43:50 PM »

Actually Real works fine on OS X. It's sufficiently less a piece of bloatware too. But yeah... I think it's time we looked into things like Flash audio for samples.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:16:50 PM »

The last time I listened was when I was using the Mac. I've not touched them on a PC, didn't really care to install real player. In fact, it seems like no one supports it anymore anyway. :P
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

I am looking into changing all of the sound samples to a standard low-bitrate mp3 format. This would not only expand the sound samples' usability, but would also probably save on file size.

More to come, thank you all for the feedback.

Ramza

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 02:04:01 AM »

Thread resurrection / UPDATE!

It's been to decided that, at least for now, Real Audio will *still* be the format of choice. Why?

Well, after some experimenting, we've learned that conversions from the RM file to other audio types (mp3, flash audio, wma) actually INCREASED file size, and usually created some noticeable side effects (occasional popping and distortion).

We tried a lot of things, but even when starting from the actual WAV file audio, it looks like Real does a decent job at compressing these songs!

However, what we have done is remove all of the "streaming" files (that re-linked to the files themselves) and now have the links pointing directly to the audio file itself. The reason we did this is particularly because we want you to have an alternative:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

"Real Alternative," to be exact. This codec allows RM content to be played. And because we've done away with the "streaming" file system (which was a piece of crap that didn't quite work anyway), this alternative will be very useful to those who dislike the bulky RealPlayer software.

Please take the time to respond and let us know if this makes the audio samples any more functional, or at the very least *appealing,* to you the precious reader.

Thanks,
Patrick Gann
RPGFan.com Soundtracks Editor

MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 12:24:21 AM »

I use RealPlayer and have never had a problem with it.  It's been a while since I checked out the samples, though.  So if I understand correctly, the samples will be downloaded instead of streamed correct?

I do have one question, though.  You mentioned that you converted the RM file to one of the other formats.  How did you initially create the RM file, though?  Were the files provided to you by the publishers of the soundtrack CD's or did you create them from a copy of the CD you already had?  If it is the latter situation, couldn't you try ripping a file from the original disc in multiple formats to see which one is largest?

I just realised you mentioned that the original file is a WAV.  Is that the file you created from the actual CD or is that provide by the soundtrack publisher?

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »

I'd be much more inclined to have slightly larger files that don't rely on super-propriatary evil-asshole file formats like Real Media. I'd rather see WMAs... and I'm a Mac user!

MP3s / AACs are just so much more convenient anyway. But you shouldn't be converting Real files into other things, anyway... start with the originals, THEN try converting them, I bet you'll find that they sound a lot cleaner at lower bitrates.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: