Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:40:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334689 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Starcraft MMO?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Starcraft MMO?  (Read 2019 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:11:13 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159248

I'm sure you guys have seen the rumors lately... but we havent discussed what another Starcraft game would mean. I highly doubt it'd be an MMO in the WoW genre, but I COULD see an MMO in the style of Planetside (only done right and not recockulous).

I dunno, what do you guys think? I doubt it's going to be another RTS, because really...the RTS genre is kinda getting overdone. EVERYONE has one (dont get me wrong, Blizz does the best ones) but I think it's time for innovation.

Someone commented to me that maybe it's an MMORTS.

Hmmmmm....

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »

Well, there's no way it'll be a full-blown MMO.  Blizzard's not about to compete with themselves, nor should they.

A new RTS would be great, as long as they stayed the fuck away from the small-scale shit seen in WC3.  I'm sure they wouldn't go that route, though; a zerg rush wouldn't be a zerg rush without 30+ units. :P  And since Starcraft is still played on a constant basis all around the fucking globe, it's quite likely they'd capitalize on that popularity with a true sequel.

Personally, I'd like to see Diablo 3, but that's just me. :P  But a Starcraft game along the lines of Planetside would be nice...as long as they let me be a fucking High Templar.  Fuck it otherwise. :P

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:16:39 PM »

I still wish they would make World of Starcraft.  It would be nice to have a sci-fi MMO as well as a fantasy MMO, but given the quality of Blizzard's games, they could make it a bunny fetish MMO and people would still abandon their personal tastes and jump to it.  Basically, I agree that another MMORPG would pit them against themselves.

Shattered Galaxy from Nexus basically is an MMORTS verson of Starcraft.  I think it's free to play if you're curious as to how such a game would operate.  I'd rather not see Starcraft incarnated that way, but again, even if it were Starcraft: Bunnies it would still probably kick ass.  I mean that as objectively as possible.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »

I don't think it would be bad to compete against themselves, since the money would go to the same place. I think Blizzard quickly found out that MMO market is a money maker, if done right... and they really did it right with World of Warcraft. Sure, WoW has it's flaws, but in the end, it's more casual-friendly than most games, so they get more people to sign on, which makes them more money.

A Starcraft sequel will still get people interested, since Starcraft is still a good game, even though it is old. At least if they did that, they could still get a good amount of loyal fans to purchase that game and not cancel their WoW accounts.

Thing is, a World of Starcraft game would be the biggest news, ever. We all know it would be the most talked about game to hit the scene. Like Fei said, I would love to see a Starcraft MMO, because I really liked the story and it's futuristic. I'm kind of tired of the whole D&D or Final Fantasy lore. Plus, I don't think Blizzard would be competing since I think The Burning Crusade expansion is probably the only expansion that will come out for WoW. I mean, what other mega enemy is there to fight after the Legion?

If Blizzard decided to do a Starcraft MMO, they should definitely announce it soon, but wait to release it. Folks might think it would be competition for WoW, but if you think about it, it's still going to the same company... Plus, they still need something fresh to compete with the upcoming MMO that Square-Enix is trying to put out (at least if they are still trying). Despite FFXI having it's flaws, I still thought it was a great MMO, and I would think SE would want to improve upon it. So a Starcraft MMO would definitely be a force for them to compete with.

Besided, what's better than being a Ghost nuking the piss out of things? :P

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »

Honestly, I would personally be interested to see them create a new franchise altogether.  Yeah Starcraft 2 should come around, since its so massively popular, especially in Korea and whatnot.

Starcraft MMO...I dunno, possibility, but it would be low on my list.  And Id crap a chicken if they used graphics like WoW's for it.  WoW's graphics work for WoW because its fantasy.  Sci Fi in my opinion would not work as well, though again, my opinion.

Diablo III...meh, Ive never been a fan of the Diablo series, so I could care less about it, and would hope thats not it.

Lost Vikings...never played it, most who have say its not bad, but again low on my list.

My best guess is either Starcraft 2, WoW Expansion (Get everyone hyped about something, and just have it be an expansion is just something I see happening :P) or a new Franchise.

But we shall see.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »

I was just thinkin last night at work.....what if they decide to unveil that all of a sudden Starcraft: Ghost is coming back?!

Well....it was worth a shot.

Would be cool if it's SOMETHING in that realm.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »

I actually agree with you there Dade.  I mean, assuming it doesn't go through what it did last time ><.  I really had high hopes for it, and then it pretty much just disappeared, and I was like...."I wanna nuke zerg with my hot stealth psion babe!"

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »

Question answered.

Not that it was obscure in any way, shape or form. :P

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »