Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 04:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340860 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy Tactics PSP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Tactics PSP  (Read 3284 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2007, 01:33:17 AM »

Okay, so I got ahold of the game.

The port job is fucking TERRIBLE. The sound is horrible; if you've ever played FFT on a PS emulator, you'll know what I mean because it sounds exactly the same. The orchestrated music is now 'one dimensional' so to speak; at any point there is only one musical note playing rendering the music completely horrid. The sound effects, which where awesome in the original, fucking suck now; in the original if an archer shot an arrow, there'd be a whizzing sound. In this, the whizzing has been replaced by a fucking BEEPING SOUND. Imagine this for pretty much every relevant sound in the game. It gets annoying as hell real fast.

And then there's the slowdown. You'll hear an attack execute, then one second later the attack will actually execute on screen.

Fuck you, S-E, for this horrible port job.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:37:02 AM »

The fucking PSP had so much potential for good ports and good RPGs, and it's failed in just about every regard so far! Wooo!

I had meant to buy quite a few PSP games from the time it debuted, but I still only actually own Lumines and Gitaroo Man Lives.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:56:53 AM »

It's really surprising which games get awesome ports and which games get shit for ports.

Sid Meier's Pirates! has one of the finest ports I've seen on the PSP - little in the way of loading times, and it has most everything its PC and Xbox big brothers did.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:02:20 AM »

How do they do such an awesome job with Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and fuck up one of the most talked about Final Fantasy games?!

Squeenix is going downhill.....

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:15:24 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"

You just noticed? They've been milking the cash cow for ages now. They'll think up anything, do a half assed job, and slap Final Fantasy on it. I haven't been satisfied with a Final Fantasy game since the merger, and can't be bothered to beat FFX-2 or FFXII.

Also, why is the PSP such a huge dumping ground for RPGs? You would think more developers would make the jump over to the DS by now.
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:03 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
How do they do such an awesome job with Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and fuck up one of the most talked about Final Fantasy games?!

Neither of the games were done by S-E, but instead were outsourced to TOSE a Chinese company. Funny enough through, I heard the VP:L sucked according to some Forums.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:41:16 PM »

The people who bitched about VP:L were just looking to nit-pick; for the most part, it was a great port.  The people who were talking about the 'stretching' of the pixel or whatnot were talking about something really insignificant.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 05:29:06 PM »

Man.. I was hoping for some better feedback about the PSP port. :(

What the hell? VP:L wasn't horrible, it definitely has flaws but it wasn't a chore to play through if it was an abysmal port. It was still the same great game I played when it came out in 2000.

I wonder if running the game directly from a memory stick would solve some of the execute pauses. Not that I'm endorsing doing such, but it'd be faster than loading off a disc obviously.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »

I found the stretching was  a touch of laziness on their part.  A game is a product, you'd hope it wouldn't be half-assed.  Nevertheless, you're right, its a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things.  The port was excellent and the additions were pretty damn sexy.

A shame to hear about the SFX and BGM transition...a shame speaking the game has such a good soundtrack. =/

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »

Here's what flabbergasted me. I didn't realize that FF1 and FF2 are being released as SEPARATE GAMES on the PSP? WTF? It's already been through three ports: WonderSwan, PS1, GBA, each of which they were grouped together into one medium. From everything I've heard and seen, the PSP version are just minor tweeks of the PS1/GBA remake. And they're charging $30 a pop for each!

I call money grubbery at its most pathetic.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:29:42 PM »

if you've ever played FFT on a PS emulator, you'll know what I mean because it sounds exactly the same.

Sound was always fine in ePSXe for me.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:37:52 PM »

The zooming (it's not really stretching) IS a genuine problem at times. But I can only recall one dungeon where that mattered, and that was because it obstructed what I would've seen on the top of the screen if they had just dealt with the black bars on the sides. Maybe it matters in the Seraphic Gate too, I never did seriously go through that.

I've never been the biggest fan of FFT's music. However, that combined with the sound issues could fuck up the /feel/ of the game to me. I'll just wait and see the impressions/reviews.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:48:32 PM »

Its a bummer that they screwed it up. I was kind of hoping that it would be halfway decent so I would have another reason to convince myself to buy a PSP.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »

I'll still play it (I never got to play the original), but it's dissapointing to hear that it plays worse than the original. Tales of Eternia and Valkyrie Profile work so well on the PSP.

And I think you're missing out on several really good games Marshmallow, the PSP has really beefed up it's library in the past year or so.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »

Comparison of the PSP remake & the PS1 version emulated on PSP:

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/957-Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Inferior_On_PSP.html
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: