Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 03:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335315 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy IV remake for DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV remake for DS  (Read 6793 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »

Given how crappy TOSE handled the GBA port I'm glad it's being remade by the same company who did FFIII DS and DQVr, Matrix Software. I'll actually buy the game this time. :P
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 12:22:28 AM »

Dragon Quest V for PS2 was re-made by Arte Piazza (unless you're referring to a different remake).

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:34 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Dragon Quest V for PS2 was re-made by Arte Piazza (unless you're referring to a different remake).

The relationship is similar to Genius Sonority/8ing's current DQ project, Dragon Quest Swords. Arte Piazza did the planning and Matrix Software did the developing.

Edit: Thought I'd add that with these remakes S-E has been putting a few internal people who made the original games on the projects so there is no need to outsource the planning like they did DQVr.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 12:34:17 AM »

A Remake, about fucking time.  If they make one for Final Fantasy VI as well...I will die a happy gamer. =)

EDIT:  Personally, I'm hoping for wicked 2D graphics rather than kinda cute-lame 3d ones (a la FF3 for DS)

EDIT EDIT:
DAMMIT
...ah well, cool looking anyways.
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff4ds/propaganda/ff4ds1.jpg

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 01:01:13 AM »

I thought it was weird that FFIII would get a full-on 3D remake, when FFIV, V, and VI would get simple re-ports with a few tweaks. I knew 3D remakes had to be on the horizon.

I don't about you, but it's really hard for me to take a game seriously when they use these super-deformed graphical art styles.

Romancing SaGa ~ Minstrel Song just looked silly, FFIII DS looked silly, and FFIV DS is going to look silly. I'd rather they'd done a similar thing as they did the FFI & II remakes, with improved 2D in-game graphics with 3D cinema scenes.

A potential FFVI DS would just look silly in super-deformed graphics, and would definitely detract from the seriousness of the game.

Of course, if they wanted to make the characters look more anatomically correct, as they first did in FFVIII at least, that'd definitely be more than welcome.

Other than that, I don't really care, because I can just stick with the original ports. That, and I don't care for getting a DS anyway!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 01:05:49 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
I don't about you, but it's really hard for me to take a game seriously when they use these super-deformed graphical art styles.

I find it hard to take seriously when everyone dies, everyone mopes, then everyone who died turns out to have NOT died. Except for two or three, they actually kicked the bucket.

I dunno. It's easy to go 'well damn I can't take this seriously with those giant monster fetus heads or all this bright color and comedic relief', but sometimes that crap just makes whatever tragedy that happens hit harder, or at the very least you don't really give a damn when the shit hits the fan. And these games stared super deformed characters in the first place. 3D does change things, but they're closer to anatomically correct now if anything. I think it's more poor execution that can ruin the moment than how big their head is.

Plus did anyone give a crap in FFIX? I mean, seriously, I heard of people not liking the style, but not that the designs ruined the story or anything, and that's filled with retarded hippo people. And I know that when major stuff happened in FFIII, I didn't really give a crap about how deformed they were.

And not expecting 3D? Pft, even without the current obsession with 3D (Which, admittedly, is a bit screwy with the FF1 and 2 PSP remakes), this is the same team behind FFIII. What'd you expect? :P
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 01:09:28 AM »

Well, y'see, back in those days, we didn't expect anatomically correct characters. We didn't have the technology for such graphics back then. But now we do. And we should use it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Well, y'see, back in those days, we didn't expect anatomically correct characters. We didn't have the technology for such graphics back then. But now we do. And we should use it.

Bullshit. The DS isn't a 3D powerhouse despite how some companies like to try to treat it as such, and so I think it's 3D capabilities are in-line with the 16-bit systems and their 2D presentation. Yes, you CAN have realistically proportioned characters, but you'll have poor detail in their faces and whatnot if you do - PSIV had realistic proportions, but all the faces were shown with portraits and manga-style panels. Admittedly, this is slightly above the PSX, and games like MML DID have good facial emoting... But MML was anime-ish in design and not overly detailed, and seemed to be slightly deformed anyway. MGS and FFVIII both are more realistic in comparison, and there's jack shit in the way of facial expressions in either.

It also helps, however, if they're not designed to look realistic either. FFIII only did that for the CGI opening, and likewise FFIV seems to be doing similar. You cited RSG, but that's the faces had a more realistic design to them, and as such it was just bizarre to look at. I haven't actually played it though, so who knows how I'd feel when I actually do so.

Edit: There's something to be said about stylistic design too. I don't want all games looking realistic or whatever, it's nice to see how realistic they try to make the in-game graphics look with MGS4, GoW, and FFXIII, but I still want my Wind Wakers and Killer7s.

Edit 2: Actually, I forgot about VS. Nevertheless, I doubt that's what they're going to seriously try with this, and the stylistic thing can be applied to making IV's remake faithful to the original version.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 03:26:52 AM »

I didn't really like FFIV, but the story and setting intrigued me, so maybe giving the game different gameplay would make it more to my liking.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 07:43:55 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Quote from: "Lard"
This remake is a cash grab - and pointless.

Yes, as opposed to every other game's goal of losing money for the company that develops it. Games aren't meant to make money, no sir.

There's a difference between releasing an original title and wanting it to be successful and releasing the same game four or five times. Squeenix is turning into Nintendo for god's sake.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 08:10:54 AM »

I can't help but thinking 'Again?' Yet despite that, since it's a remake and not just another port with a mediocre bonus dungeon tacked on I can't wait for it. Nostalgia mixed with something new at the same time is a great combination.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
There's a difference between releasing an original title and wanting it to be successful and releasing the same game four or five times. Squeenix is turning into Nintendo for god's sake.

You're basically saying you would prefer shitty origial titles over remakes that might actually be worth a damn. Besides that, if you're so against this you could... I don't know. Not buy it. What a novel idea.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
You're basically saying you would prefer shitty origial titles over remakes that might actually be worth a damn. Besides that, if you're so against this you could... I don't know. Not buy it. What a novel idea.

Was the original that shitty to begin with though?

Granted, the SNES translation was horrible - but there have been two different versions with two different translations (well a new translation and a tweak since then).

Do we need this? No.

I bought FF3 because it was never released in NA. I'll do the same with Star Ocean 1. Constant remakes of games are just unnecessary.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 10:48:57 AM »

Then, like I said before, don't buy it. Some of us don't mind reliving old games in newer presentations.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »

Ah poop, I bought the FFIV port a year and a half ago. That is kind of annoying, but I'll be purchasing the remake in spite of that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: