Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 05:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331351 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy IV remake for DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV remake for DS  (Read 6724 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 02:10:03 PM »

FFIV and FFV will work great with chibi, disproportionate characters because the games tend to be very fantastical and lighthearted, almost childlike. FFVI, on the other hand, should have something along the lines of FFVIII style graphics, or at least up to snuff with FFVII, as the setting and overall feel is much more serious, and the characters are much more realistic.

I can't imagine FFV with ANYTHING but chibis, though. The whole game is ludicrus... and fun, it would totally ruin it to make it photorealistic.

The bottom line here is that games, as an extension of animation, need to fit the style of their overall portrayal. If a game is light and childlike, then the graphics should follow suit. The same goes for more serious, "mature" content. FF3 made sense with the graphics it had... it's a romp. Now, FFII or FFVI on the other hand, wouldn't make sense.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »

FFIV was far more mature than V, and almost as mature as VI.

Considering the main cast is not children, this shift in looks is...disheartening. I won't be picking it up. I'll stick with my Advance remake.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 12:16:51 AM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
Considering the main cast is not children, this shift in looks is...disheartening. I won't be picking it up. I'll stick with my Advance remake.

So you like your heads bigger.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:09 AM »

FFIV was far more mature than V, and almost as mature as VI

Possibly moreso. FF4 was just filled to the brim with drama, though perhaps in a medium that couldn't convey it all that well. It's way off from 'lighthearted'.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 05:03:36 AM »

It's those little legs that get to me.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 11:42:12 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

So you like your heads bigger.

No, I would like them to be taller.

You know, like real adults.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 06:05:44 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"
Possibly moreso. FF4 was just filled to the brim with drama, though perhaps in a medium that couldn't convey it all that well. It's way off from 'lighthearted'.

Bullshit. Yes, I'll except that FFIV is easilly more dark and dramatic than FFV... that's not hard... FFV is a story about a young boy, a princess, a pirate chick, and an old geezer king. But FFVI is a totally different ballgame. FFVI actually has REAL character developement and portrayal, the drama, while mellodramatic, has some sense of sophistication. FF6 is probably one of the darkest and most serious games in the series. FF4s resurrection sequences, alone, make it sorta laughable.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »

I'm excited for this. These DS games keep on coming, and I love it. Square Enix is showing the DS much love. Respect. Since FF4 is a great story, it will be cool to see it re-done in 3D, with new story added to it. It's refreshing, anyway.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 07:32:40 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "Raze"

Bullshit. Yes, I'll except that FFIV is easilly more dark and dramatic than FFV... that's not hard... FFV is a story about a young boy, a princess, a pirate chick, and an old geezer king. But FFVI is a totally different ballgame. FFVI actually has REAL character developement and portrayal, the drama, while mellodramatic, has some sense of sophistication. FF6 is probably one of the darkest and most serious games in the series. FF4s resurrection sequences, alone, make it sorta laughable.

It feels suitable for the time the game was released in.  Movies then always brought the action star back from the grave.  Today, we applaud un-dramatic deaths (see: The Departed).

I saw a note on FFV's lead earlier and just wanted to add...worst fucken name ever for a hero.  Butz can go suck it.  Thank you.

I wonder if FF6 is in their scope to remake in the future?  And if so, you can easily admit the game is worth higher production value with the many grandiose events within the game.

I'm not really concerened about the big heads for the FF4 remake....moreso the script.  The FF3 script, even though they claimed to have reworked it, had less exciting dialogue than a story written by a 10-year old.  The main chick was afraid of frogs, and yeah thats cute, but everything else was pretty mundane.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »

DUDE i can't wait to hold it in my own to hands. FFV was the first of the series which realy could hold me banned till the ending.

PS FFVI will come, but as far as i know it will take some 2 years. I am a little sad, but well we have enough to do till it comes.

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »

FFV was the first of the series which realy could hold me banned till the ending.

.... huh?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: