Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 12:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327302 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix Press Conference
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix Press Conference  (Read 3414 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:38 AM »

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/gemaga1985/
http://www.famitsu.com/blog/express/

They revealed some of what they are showing at the S-E Party this weekend.

- Star Ocean 4 is in development for unspecified platform(s) they emphasized that this project is being done by tri-Ace
- Star Ocean 1 and 2 remakes coming to the PSP with redone art (images on blog)
- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - The Crystal Bearers to be playable at the event
- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates is coming out on August 23rd for the DS in Japan
- Chocobo's Dungeon title coming to the Wii
- The Last Remnant is coming out for the PS3 and 360 in NA and JP simultaneously (images on blog)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:27:31 AM »

hot hot hot.

SO1 (?) looks like an SO2 clone...interesting, I suppose.  Can't wait for more stuff ont he other titles/

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »

Ooo I'm really curious to which console the new Star Ocean game will come out on. Why are they keeping it a secret? Maybe it will be multiplatform? Or the Wii?
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:35:46 AM »

Can't spill all the details before the party next week. :)

After the lukewarm port of VP:L and less than stellar impressions on FFT Shishi Sensou, I don't want to get my hopes up too high for the SO 1&2.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »

Star Ocean is definitely a remake, so I don't think we have to worry about the typical PSP porting problems.

No word on Star Ocean 2 though.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:55:39 AM »

I wonder if it'll be a direct port with like more dungeons and peeps...or a remake-remake.....hell, my hearts already turned to mush... x)

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »

As long as they get new voice actors and retranslate the entire game (SO2), I'll be happy. Not looking forward to SO4, though, as SO3 was a huge letdown for me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »

S-E Pre-Con Summary:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159370
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »

It's official, I'm now stoked for the FF:CC releases. I didn't like the first one all that much, but it showed some promise, and I felt like the team was at least TRYING.

These two really sound like they're on the right track, ie: I get a good feeling from what I'm hearing. Chrystal Bearers being along the lines of Skies of Arcadia (in overall presentation), is GREAT NEWS! I think this is EXACTLY what the series needs. Skies was full of grand exploration, fun excitement, and had a great overall sense of wonder. I think it's a great source to take influence from when you're putting together a fun romp like a CC game. I'd like to see more games take on this grand sense of adventure. Similarly, what was said about the DS sounds like a "smart" move. It may not be a big "wower" like Chrystal Bearers, but what they said made sense to its appearance on the DS. After all, if there are going to be two different releases, I'd rather that they come at the series from very different standpoints, and do well to utilize the advantages of each system. It sounds like, as a portable title, the DS version is on the right track, being a more tightly defined game. This sounds like the REAL spiritual sequel to Seiken Densetsu 2&3 to me.

I just hope that both have very strong single player as well as multi-player versions. Usually games like this are one or the other. Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu 3, were some of the rare games where their multi-player was simple enough that it was just an extension to a great single-player game. I think this worked back then, it should work great now.

I'm much more excited about this than the Star Ocean news. While it's cool, Star Ocean doesn't strike me as a series with a great future ahead of itself.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »

I haven't been this giddy since...well...tri-Ace randomly announced the development of VP2.  But still.  I was just expecting one Star Ocean title.  Not three (even though two are remakes).  

I hope Star Ocean 4 has more universe exploration, and that the remakes aren't too bad.  But either way, I really, really can't wait.

Hopefully Star Ocean 4 doesn't hinder the production of Infinite Undiscovery, though.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 07:04:32 PM »

this may be an unpopular opinion but i hope star ocean 4 has some returning playable characters. or maybe they could pull a fire emblem and have decendants of previous characters. im not particularly interested in any of these final fantasy games yet except for the final fantasy fighting game i heard about.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

I'm sure the game will be fun, but I thought SO3 was supposed to be the last game? Whatever, the reasoning for why to end it with that was kinda stupid anyway. And I want to hear more about FF:CC before I actually give a crap, as in how the reviews and the general impressions are. FF:CC was alright, but I'm feeling oddly pessimistic about those games. Probably because the flower eaters in charge of the DS version dropped WFC in favor of some bullshit about playing together and seeing the smiles on each others faces.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 07:39:53 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I'm sure the game will be fun, but I thought SO3 was supposed to be the last game? .

$$$$$$$$$

I think FF:CC can be a succcess because at least with the DS you already have dual screens and no need for some gay connector cable.  The game on GC was fun, but only in multi-player- and only when you bought the rest of the shit you needed for it.

Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 08:31:24 PM »

tri-Ace is developing Star Ocean 4, so even if the game is purely being made for money, it obviously won't be just a hackjob like a lot of the Square-Enix developed games.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 09:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Dice
Quote from: "Eusis"
I think FF:CC can be a succcess because at least with the DS you already have dual screens and no need for some gay connector cable.  The game on GC was fun, but only in multi-player- and only when you bought the rest of the shit you needed for it.

There were more problems with the game than just the method though. There was no plot and the dungeon crawling was incredibly excessive (it's nice to have cut scenes and whatnot, throughout... ESPECIALLY when playing with multipul people).

What I'm really hoping is that, at least with the Wii version, they'll stop approaching the game as if its supposed to be a party game. There's nothing wrong with a little cut-scene downtime, here and there. This is the same psychographic which watches anime together and watches eachother play Final Fantasy games. I'm currenting LOVING replaying Tales of the Abyss with a friend, when he's controlling all of the cut scenes.

I mean, I've spent hundreds of hours back in college watching friends play RPGs, and I loved it, but sometimes I thought it might be cool if I could also interact with it a bit. The Tales series gives me this option, I'm hoping that Square will come at it from the same standpoint, except even a bit more involved... but not sacrifice the wonder of adventure. But I'm optimistic. I think the problems with the first game were noticed, and S-E has been quick to voice their percieved flaws with the first game. They've also been quick to make a big deal about how these ones will be much more story driven and adventure-game like.

BTW, What's this about the "Flower Eaters" abandoning "WFC"? What are we talking about here?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: