Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:00:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335204 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix Press Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix Press Conference  (Read 3562 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 05:25:36 AM »

Thought it was worth noting that they also said that SO4 is a "high-end" project. So it probably means it'll be on next-generation console(s).

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on 360 since tri-Ace made an engine for it already since they are currently working on Infinite Undiscovery.
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »

The thing I'm wondering most about Star Ocean 1 is whether or not they're going to create a world map, or keep the old traveling system.  I mean, Star Ocean 1 looks like it's going to be Star Ocean 2, just with the Star Ocean 1 characters, story, and setting.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 02:52:11 PM »

Anyone play a rom - how different is SO1 from SO2?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 04:41:59 PM »

Extremely.  For one, the world map was somethig only in SO2...which is rather bizarre, but whatev'.
Other than that, actually, everything is pretty much a dummed down SO2.  THeres skills, just not as many.  Target-run-attack battles, but not covering a massive field.  Item creation, but fewer items.  Etcetera.
IMO, however, I like the story better.  Feels a bit more intense.
Code:
With not only the present having a disease that petrifies everyone, but saving that past and future and then learning (from what I interpreted) the planet you're on branched off from Earth.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »

Story-wise, I'd definitely say that Star Ocean 1 was the better one.  But I found the characters in Star Ocean 2 to be much more endearing.  I really liked a lot of parts about Star Ocean 2's story, but a lot of it just felt like fluff.

And I'd actually say the games are pretty similar.  Star Ocean 2 feels like just a super-expanded, and more fleshed out version of Star Ocean 1.  It's sort of like comparing A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time.  Ocarina of Time basically just built on ALttP, as does Star Ocean 2 with Star Ocean 1.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »

Exactly.  Pretty much why I can't complain about the new SO1 looking like SO2.  

Agreed, SO2 characers were wicked... a good mix of every stereo type and done well (can't go wrong with barrel fettishes either).

EDIT:
Except, I'm not really digging the cheap generic portrait...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
There's nothing wrong with a little cut-scene downtime, here and there.

Oh god no. I might feel differently if it didn't seem like every game anymore has piles of cutscenes, but nowadays it's /refreshing/ when a game doesn't give a shit. And if you can't tell a worthwhile story, better to just focus on making the game better in it's absence. Of course, if the story IS good in any way, then it's not really a big deal; I just don't like crap like Rogue Galaxy that spends so long on cutscenes or fucks up my gameplay for the sake of some stupid story I don't care about.

As for WFC: The explanation was mentioned in this preview. It might really just be technical problems, but rather than say that they make some lame bullshit about seeing the smiles on each other's faces while playing together. As for the flower eaters... Uhhh, it just seemed amusing and fitting for their uppity 'RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINE' reasoning.
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 08:45:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Exactly.  Pretty much why I can't complain about the new SO1 looking like SO2.  

Agreed, SO2 characers were wicked... a good mix of every stereo type and done well (can't go wrong with barrel fettishes either).

EDIT:
Except, I'm not really digging the cheap generic portrait...

Well, I'd certainly rather have that instead of this (I am pretty sure this was the original artwork for him):

http://www.tales-cless.org/starocean/starocean/triaceartwork/ratix.gif

Both aren't to my liking at all, but the generic Tales looking artwork is much better, in my opinion.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »

Look at that stare. HE HAS NO SOUL.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »

Hell yes for more Star Ocean. That remake looks really nice, and I don't mind the "generic" art; it actually looks a lot like the art in the Tales series.

I don't have a PSP, unfortunately. I forgot; can PSP games be transferred to and played on a PS3? I have a friend with a PSP, and I really want to play the remakes legally.

EDIT: and yes, I would rather have this art than a 403 error. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »

Nope. That applies for the PSP downloadable games now, thank god, but the PSP games still have to be played on a PSP.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: