Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What to play next? Suggestions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What to play next? Suggestions?  (Read 5300 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »

I have a stack of games to get through once I finish Okami and asking for suggestions on what to hit next - my friend went back to Canada and picked up some stuff for me.

I have:

Sega Ages w. Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4 (never played any of them)
Bard's Tale - bought purely on the nostalgia for the old C64 games
Unlimited Saga
Xenosaga 2 and 3 (edited for dumb assedness)
Zelda - Twlight Princess (GC)
Grandia 3
Suikden Tactics

Suggestions?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

You don't even really have a choice there:

Twilight Princess

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 04:52:38 PM »

i would go for Grandia, though i didn't play the 3rd yet.

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »

Grandia III is boring. You have English-only voiced-over cut scenes without subtitles every so often, to break up what is essentially a dungeon crawler with a little more plot than usual. Don't expect the rivetting character development you find in the previous games, namely Grandia II. The cast includes some of the most boring character archetypes yet, the only real exception being the protagonist's mother, who I'd say is supposed to only be about twice the age of her son. Imagine your mom nagging you while you're playing video-games. Yech.

It's definitely the most challenging Grandia game yet, but then again, they really make you choose between either healing your characters, or cancelling your enemy's upcoming super move, so they really force you to strategize, and if you make the wrong choice, you're screwed. Definitely more of a level-builder this time around.

If I were you, I'd go with Gust/Banpresto RPGs, like the Atelier Iris and Ar-Tonelico series. Interesting characters, settings, maybe a little plot, awexome music, and some of the dialogue can be pretty hilarious. Best thing is, they play really fast. You may only log up to 30 hours per game, but that's because they're quickly paced, and if you're tired of slow-trodding RPGs, then that should be your kind of thing.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »

I'll echo everything Bernhardt said. G3 is not a good game... well, at least it's not a great game. G2 is one of my favorite titles, and G3 really let me down. Yes, the only interesting character is the protagonists mother, and her relationship (note: not neccessarilly romantic) with the ship captain. But... low and behold... the two of them jump ship about 1/3rd the way through the game, and you're left with boring as hell character architypes and bad dialog. G2 had cliche story and character architypes, but there was a lot of subtlety in the characters and dialog... G3 practically forgets all they learned with G2, though. It had the potential to be so much... something like Last Exile meets Grandia... I finally gave up on it about 2/3rds the way through. Even if the story picked up, the complete lack of originality in characters and dialog killed it for me.

Yes, I'm playing Ar Tonelico right now, and I love it... although probably not quite up to par with Twilight Princess, Okami, and Tales of the Abyss (which I all played in a row), it's still a damn good game, and the soundtrack is absolutely stunning (and this is coming from someone who generally hates choral soundtracks), it's very uniquely done, with a lot of intensity and original flare. It's characters are nothing to write home about either, but they seem to have a real charm to them.

Still, Twilight Princess... if that's on your list of not yet played... I'll just say this: "Zelda + meaningful characters & dialog = Twilight Princess". TP has more heart than any other RPG/Adventure game this year, excluding maybe Tales of the Abyss.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »

I haven't really played Grandia III, but I considered the original AI to be a slightly above average RPG that's really not that exceptional. Playing it over half the listed games, namely Zelda is, to me, just ridiculous unless you want to go from worst to best (in which case, Unlimited Saga would probably be choice number 1 to play).

Something else to note however: PSII and III have not aged gracefully. If you want a oldschool, grindfest with some interesting story ideas thrown in, then by all means play II and III. II is less story and more /plot twists/, and most of them you wouldn't catch any game doing these days, and III's generation idea has been used by very few RPGs. Only DQV and Fable come to mind, and DQV more or less covers as your character grows up from a young child to a parent, while Fable only counts on the technicality that your character physically ages over the course of the game. The latter however is more or less just for aesthetics, and the game would've been the same without aging - in fact, the fact you age while no one else does (outside of that child to grownup bit at the start) is just preposterous.

IV however has aged just as well as FFIV-VI and CT. It doesn't have quite have the 'holy shit' plot twists PSII has, essentially recycling a key one, but the presentation is much, much better all around (including said key plot twist) and the characters are actually developed. It's fun to go and figure out all the possible comboes too, though that can get a bit frustrating.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »

I liked Grandia 3. The battles were extremely fun, and for me that aspect overshadowed the lackluster plot.

Suikoden Tactics is also extremely fun, and stands today as one of only about three SRPGs in which I've stayed interested long enough to beat. If you played Suikoden IV, it gives more depth to some of the characters, while bringing some semblance of "closure" to that era of the Suikoden timeline.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 03:58:15 AM »

FFIV is interesting in the sense that, while you CAN level grind past certain points, the fact that you have a locked party forces you to strategerize more. And the characters are quite unique -- PSII and III characters are sort of unique but uh... not much.

PSII and III also have relatively lame dungeon designs (Not Persona I bad, but...) and its really, really not recommendable to play through PSII without maps (Hint: Game came with maps. You're supposed to use them). PSIII's dungeons aren't hard. They're just big and empty.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
PSII and III also have relatively lame dungeon designs (Not Persona I bad, but...) and its really, really not recommendable to play through PSII without maps (Hint: Game came with maps. You're supposed to use them). PSIII's dungeons aren't hard. They're just big and empty.

Phantasy Star 2 has some seriously poor ass dungeon designs. While I love big, maze-like dungeons (I'm a huge fan of Wizardry, for instance), Phantasy Star 2's layouts were lazy rather than clever. Many of the floors had very similar quadrant-style layouts. And often, entire dungeon sections would go unused because there was nothing in them and no reason to be there.

I agree about Phantasy Star 3's dungeons. They were pretty forgetable. I only remember the last one, honestly.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 11:54:55 AM »

PS3's dungeons weren't... long or annoying at least.

Wizardry dungeons were cool because they had *stuff* in them. 6 and 8 both had really excellent puzzles, and the entire series benefited from having really unique and uh... interesting characters and special encounters. Toga Llama much?

Basically I'd say the biggest sign that a dungeon is bad is if the main/only puzzle is "Is this fork a dead end or not?" Those games tend to punish exploration. That is bad.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »

Funny, I thought the PS games were generally well regarded....

So you're saying if there's one PS to play....it would be PS4?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

TP is fun, but you are just finishing Okami.  Perhaps you might o.d. on adventure games featuring wolves.  Personally I don't like to play similar games back to back.  I need something different to keep things fresh.

As for your list:  XS3 is great but for the love of god, don't play XS2.  Only if you are a masochist, should you try it.  Just read a summary provided in XS3 or online.  Seriously, XS2 is like torture.  

Grandia 3 -  Such a big dissapointment.  It's a shame since I'm a big fan of the series.  

Bard's Tale -  If you want something funny to play, give this a try.  It's kinda hard though, definitely not a cake-walk.    

Unlimited Saga -  I want my money and my hour of playtime back.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:40:59 PM »

Ahhh, didn't notice that you were coming off of Okami. Actually, I played Twilight Princess and Okami pretty close together, and I didn't really OD, but I could imagine doing so. So yeah, if you're worried about wolfy-action-adventure-overload, I'd either go with PS4 (seems to get good reviews), or look elsewhere, as pretty much everything else on that list is fairly so-so.

Actually, it's pretty funny how my game playing went around christmas. I started Okami, then when FF12 came out, I jumped on board (I was about 1/3rd the way through Okami), then when TP came out, I jumped ship again to start that (I was about 1/2 way through FF12). I then beat TP, then went back and finished Okami.

Okami
--->Final Fantasy XII
------->Zelda: Twilight Princess
--->Final Fantasy XII
Okami

Before Okami, there was a swath of games that I didn't finish: Star Ocean 3, Dragon Quest IX (great game... but was getting so long and tedious, I was about ready to strangle myself), Wild Arms 3, Wild Arms 4, and Grandia 3. Only game I did finish in the middle of that bunch was Suikoden V, which was amazing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »

Zelda and PS4 first. As someone who didn't play PS4 until maybe two years ago I can say that barring the graphics it's aged incredibly well. Grandia comes distant 3rd for having a story that will make you puke, but otherwise being a fun game to play.

Xenogears...well it's a odd case. I would recomend xenogears 3 right after zelda, or at least have it tied for number two with PSIV. It was actually a pretty damn good game. There's just one little problem in that you'd probably want to play 2 first as the games are directly related. And actually that problem is not so little as XG2 has the worst battle system I've ever seen in a rpg. The combo system is kinda cool and I'm all up for taking a few turns to power a super attack and all now and then, but the problem is you MUST use it to do any worthwhile damage, even on non boss battles. So it's have each character boost 3 times and just sit there getting your ass kicked for 9 turns, attack repeat. It's excuricatingly bad.

If you're willing to read a summary or find some videos of 2's CS's you might be able to get some enjoyment out of 3. Though I'd feel a bit odd myself going into such a plot heavy game skipping 2. But regardless, avoid actually PLAYING XS2 at all costs.

Haven't played the other games on your list except PSII...hasn't aged well at all, skip it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:39:16 PM »

I think PSI has aged better than II. A bit faster paced, and the characters are sort of more interesting. The dungeons were also... I dunno, you could get out of them with the right hand rule, and the encounter rate seemed lower, too. The game also had a few more adventure game elements, and you never really had to level grind past the initial, pre-Odin bits. Entire thing just felt more well-rounded, I guess.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: