Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332853 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFXII what do you think about it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: FFXII what do you think about it?  (Read 7885 times)
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »

I personally think that square enix made up for the mistake of X-2. XII is a pretty good rpg, most people wont agree due to the bad reviews. But it has a quite enjoyable story and offers longterm motivations with the 28 sidequests.

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »

Bad reviews? FFXII has an average score of over 92% across 101 reviews online. So I think 'most' people actually liked it.

It's FFX-2 which isn't really well-liked... but me, I liked both. Not that FFX-2 and FFXII share anything in common, least of which being development teams.

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »

Actually, it does seem like half of this board doesn't like FFXII to some degree. I think it's fun, but just not absolutely gripping to play for hours on end, blasting through ASAP. Though I've been wanting to play it again recently...
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 05:38:25 PM »

I liked FFX-2's gameplay, but everything else was completely horrible.  ESPECIALLY the ending you get for 100% completion.  I found the game far too corny (which was my complaint with FFX also, I guess).

FFXII felt like the polar opposite of all of the other FF's, though.  Instead of a focus on storyline, 90% of the time I found myself just wandering, and I grew out of the story far too many times.  It had too much focus on gameplay, and that drew me out of the story (which wasn't that great to begin with, in my opinion).  But luckily the battle system was awesome.  I just wish it wasn't so boring at points.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 05:42:48 PM »

I gave up on FF12 at about the point where I set it up that I could walk away from the screen for hours on end and let the game play for me and yet I still wouldn't have reached the next town because there was just that much empty, featureless wilderness between two locations.

Nice game, works well at lower levels, completely breaks and gets boring at higher levels.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »

FF12 had great environments, great story, great characters (esp. Basch; most people go OMG at Balthier's cool, but Basch was my favorite)... but I didn't find combat fun and the license board thing felt like needless tacked on complexity.  Had the character growth interface been a more intuitive, streamlined, simpler one and the combat been more like console RPG combat than PC RPG combat, I'd have liked it more.  

I can dig complexity in RPGs (I'm a huge Megami Tensei fan), but this felt like busywork complexity simply for the sake of it and it made zero sense within the context of the game's world.  

I hated Contact's battle system.  FF12's battle system felt like a gussied up version of Contact's battle system.  

FF12 is a game I'd rather watch than play.

EDIT: And the music was very hit or miss.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »

I certainly liked the game overall, but did feel the quickenings made the game pretty broken imo. That and thought the characters were dull overall, mainly the protagonists. Being a fan of good characters, that made me a sad panda. I am bound to pick it up again in the future.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 09:09:57 PM »

Haven't touched it. Couldn't get interested in it no matter how hard I tried.

I'll beat it this summer, since I have a personal commitment to beat anything with the words "Final Fantasy" on the box...but yeah, lots of people at this board don't seem to think too highly of XII.

Which is fine with me.

Ramza

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »

The game's great, but my big beef with it is that it doesn't feel anything like a Final Fantasy game.  Instead, it feels like exactly what it is:  an RPG made by the Final Fantasy Tactics team.  That's why, even though FFXII is a somewhat better game overall, I'll always prefer FFX as the penultimate Final Fantasy of the PS2 era.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I'll always prefer FFX as the penultimate Final Fantasy of the PS2 era.

Thanks - nice to see someone else finally saying that.

FF12 was....okay. It felt more like a PC/western RPG - heavy on grinding and light on story. Probably the weakest story since FF3 (or FF8).

It wasn't terrible but far from my favourite.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 12:49:09 AM »

It had too much focus on gameplay,

Yes. How dare a game focusing on being a game.

and the combat been more like console RPG combat than PC RPG combat

If you take out the ability to walk around during fights, it's basically Chrono Trigger's battle system.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 12:57:27 AM »

Actually, what might've been a simple addition to appease people who either want more traditional FF battles or just don't like this style of automated combat is for the game to pause and go to whoever's turn just came up. Trying to do this manually is a pain, and as such I think the 'well you don't HAVE to use gambits' argument is pretty damned weak. I'm happy with gambits, though that might not be a bad idea to easily experiment with mostly manual combat and get a good idea of what does/doesn't work best rather than just kinda winging it like I normally do.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:27:36 AM »

had i never played ffxi i might not of hated it so much. its a shame too because when i stopped the story was starting to get interesting. in a nutshell ffxii's battle system seemed like a nerfed version of ffxi's and i was consistantly frustrated with the difficulty wich lead to me not seeing the story as fast as i would like. however that could be due to a failure on my part to embrace the gambit system and poor decisions made by me on the license board early in the game that i never recovered from.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »

One of the best games I've ever played.
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »

Although I somewhat enjoyed the gameplay, the story failed to interest me at all, which is what I look for most in an RPG.  Had it not had "Final Fantasy" in the title, I wouldn't have given it the benefit of the doubt and played it to completion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: