Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341181 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFXII what do you think about it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: FFXII what do you think about it?  (Read 8059 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »

Who cares about FFXII when we have Odin Sphere, Persona 3 and Etrian Odyssey right around the corner? All published by Atlus, coincidentally.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »

pop-culture bullshit they threw at us with X and X-2

Yes, quite. FFX was written by 15 year old girls :( This makes me sad because I thought it was rather fun but jesus christ, tidus.

I didn't mind Tidus being all upset about his dad being a massive dick. That's understandable. It's every other thing they did. Tidus is sort of like Vaan, I guess, only in FFXII, everyone is always calling Vaan out for being retarded. I think FFX was trying to make Tidus seem not-retarded or something.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »

I thought Tidus was fine. He was whiny and annoying at first but by the end he was a strong leading role.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
Who cares about FFXII when we have Odin Sphere, Persona 3 and Etrian Odyssey right around the corner? All published by Atlus, coincidentally.

Oh hay there non-sequiter.

This thread is about FFXII, not other games. :P
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 03:06:37 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"

You really gotta learn how to use that term correctly.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »

There's the battle system and the music and whatnot that changed, but ultimately I just think it's a mix of big and small things that create a feel that, yeah, this is still FF, and XII just didn't really h ave that aside, possibly, from that intro movie. I think it's really just the music for me though, if at least a third of the OST was composed by Nobuo Uematsu, the feel would most likely be there.

I should note, by the way, that by no means is this necessarily a negative, and doesn't really matter to me anyway (III has that feel and to me is new, so if I absolutely have to have it I can just play more of that, or play V and VI on the GBA, or restart and actually finish IX, or...), but it simply doesn't /feel/ like a main FF for me.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 04:32:56 PM »

This thread is about FFXII, not other games. :P

Yeah I know, but I can't stand how the FF threads get more posts when there are better games out there. Especially one like this. "Did you like FFXII?" It just turns into a stupid debate and the whole thread goes in circles.

I never played the game myself. I'm sure it's a good game, but for some reason, I have no desire to play it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

Haven't played since January. I was about 20-30 hours in if I remember correctly. It's good, but it lacks that "hook" many of the older games had (at least for me).

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 05:46:52 PM »

Yeah I know, but I can't stand how the FF threads get more posts when there are better games out there. Especially one like this. "Did you like FFXII?" It just turns into a stupid debate and the whole thread goes in circles.

Well, for one some of those games you've listed aren't even out yet. It's still somewhat valid I guess, but there's not really much to talke about except for pouring over assloads of screens and trailers - and I hate doing that kind of crap since I feel looking at EVERY TINY TIDBIT just ruins the actual experince. Secondly... Actually, yeah. It's a bit hard to really get any attention to a game if it's not some OMFG HUGE RPG, and even then. You'll get large DQ and Suik topics, but those who have more than a passing interest in the genre are going to give a crap about those games.

Edit: Eternal Sonata's topic doesn't seem to be doing too poorly, but that might be the 'OMG XBOX RPG THAT DOESN'T LOOK COMPLETELY GENERIC' factor.
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »

guys i am really sorry, if someone has a problem with this thread. But well if you have some more intresting topics, then post them. I just set this one up to get other opinions.

And hell yes put one for suiko, i would love to hear something about it. I just got copies of 1 and 2, but i am too busy studing for my exams to loose myself in a rpg right now.

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

You really gotta learn how to use that term correctly.

It's used correctly. Non-sequiter is literally "it does not follow", and it does not follow that one should need to talk about other games in a thread distinctly created to talk about a particular game. Especially considering the post was not even discussing contrast or comparison with Final Fantasy XII.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 06:51:04 AM »

I looked it up, my bad, you were right. Just for the record, though, it's spelt with a u. :P

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: