Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 05:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327347 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey  (Read 15841 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2007, 07:53:51 AM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
Quote from: "Fadedsun"
What characters are you using? And what are your character builds? Depending on your builds, resting might not be such a bad idea. You might not have good enough builds for the floor that you're on.

My builds seem alright. Dungeon crawling is mostly hard because I don't have a healer. However, bosses pose no problem even remotely. I don't really feel like going into what skills I have. The root of the matter is deeper than that. While I (maybe) could go all the way down to the bottom with my current party, why would I when I don't gain experience for killing monsters. That's part of the fun for me. And conversely, if I did rebuild, why would I want to spend time regaining levels I already lost in order to do them again, but "better" this time.

It's a game play formula that doesn't really appeal to me. Not to diss the game, I just think that the leveling system is too discouraging for me.

That's fine. Every game has a level cap though, so I don't see what the complaint is. Some are just higher than others, and most games won't let you reset your characters to change them around. Once you reach level 99 or whatever in most games and you allocated your skills, that's it, you're stuck with what you made.

I also just realized your problem. No healer. The Medic's Immunize skill is basically a must have at those levels of the dungeon. It protects against elements as well as physical attack. Pair this with the Protector's Defender skill and you have an ultimate defense barrier.  The protectors anti element skills are also a must have at these levels. But only bring them to level 5, because that's the only level where they null the damage.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
That's fine. Every game has a level cap though, so I don't see what the complaint is. Some are just higher than others, and most games won't let you reset your characters to change them around. Once you reach level 99 or whatever in most games and you allocated your skills, that's it, you're stuck with what you made.

I also just realized your problem. No healer. The Medic's Immunize skill is basically a must have at those levels of the dungeon. It protects against elements as well as physical attack. Pair this with the Protector's Defender skill and you have an ultimate defense barrier.  The protectors anti element skills are also a must have at these levels. But only bring them to level 5, because that's the only level where they null the damage.

Yeah but in most games you don't level cap before you beat the game. I can only think of a few games ever that I have level capped before the last boss (Crystalis and Dungeon Magic on NES). That's the problem.

As for having a healer: fuck that, I hate using healers. But you're are right, they're are probably pretty necessary. As for anti-element abilities, you can also also use the bard's anti-element abilities to great effect and then spend your Paladin's points on physical defense abilities.
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2007, 08:46:20 AM »

COMPLETO.

Now just the 6th strata to do. And the 3 supermonsters to take down. And the ultimate equip to collect. And...

Final party builds were something like:

Landsknecht - Full-on Axe. Crush, Hell Cry, don't need a lot else. Might be worth resting them back to elemental swordblows, but eh?

Survivalist - Okay, so the Survivalist did end up being really useful. Max Ambush and Aware, Bows and Multishot. Forget Apollyon it's a peace of crap that's only useful for the pre-emptive effect. Free turns are good.

Protector - Ended up ditched from my party. :( But will probably be going straight back in: pre-emptive elemental resists are very hax against the optional bosses. To be fair, they weren't ditched for being useless, far from it: pushing every boss to only do 2 damage as I stack Immunize and Defender was funny as hell. But not enough damage output.

Dark Hunter - Ended up REALLY REALLY USEFUL. Asides from general high damage they can boost their damage even higher with any of their base bind skills, for incredibly cheap.

Ronin - Midareba. NEXT

Medic - I still can't imagine not having one. Troubadour's Heal is too slow over time, Protector doesn't get the all-important Cure 3 for my 600HP landsknecht.

Troubadour - OKAY. I admit it. Relaxing 10 is pretty damn hax as my medic recovers a grand total of 30 mp a round or something.

Hexer - Who's that again?

Elementalist - Ditched from my party in main game but immediately put in for bonus strata - for level 26, Jolt is a must.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »

Use a Hexer and Dark Hunter for some bind+Ecstasy fun! It's awesome when your enemy is helpless.

Have you tried a battle medic build yet? A battle medic with maxed attack and Caduceus can out damage a Axe Land and possibly a Ronin if I remember correctly. A medic can still be an excellent healer with a battle medic build. Immunize is awesome, almost cheap since it also counts physical attacks as an element. I can't see getting through the 6th Stratum without it though.

I use a Sword Land myself for Allslash and the elemental chasers paired with my all element Alchemist.

With the Protector, remember to only put his anti element skills up to 5, any points after that there's a glitch. I can't remember what it is. At 5 points they null the damage completely though.

Survivalist. I don't really see any purpose of maxing out Aware. It's pretty useless. I've never been ambushed by the enemy. 5 points into Ambush is enough. Apollon is a very good attack that you should max out, but whatever you want to do. It's the Survivalists strongest attack. Maybe one of the strongest attacks in the game below Ecstacy.

"Oh, a hunter..."
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2007, 04:19:42 PM »

Aware's saved my ass a couple of crucial times. Also, Ambush 10 is utterly worth it. The more completely free turns you can get, the massively more MP you save: vital if you're not Troubadouring.

Apollon sucks, mostly because of so much lag that any FOE I faced pre-6th stratum was dead before it arrived. Multishot is comparable, every-turn damage.

Too many points spread around on the medic already. I'm not having a Medic without Salve 2 10 and Cure 3 10 and at least a little revive for emergencies.

Eh, yes, the Hexer can help the Dark Hunter hit ecstacy, but when the DH has got all their binds at 10 and the Lands is helping out with Silencer, you don't need to devote another slot of the party to someone who throws strange esoteric effects around. I'd much rather have raw damage.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2007, 04:54:45 PM »

A couple times isn't worth the ten points you put into it. Those points would be better elsewhere on a Survivalist if you ask me. One point would probably be good enough to save you from a pre emp from the enemy. But, like, I said whatever you like to do. Everyone plays the game differently.

I like to try different party/character combinations myself. Some from exploring, for bossing, and for fun. They way you and Willy talk make it seem like everything you've done is set in stone and you don't want to try different things. XD

"Oh, a hunter..."
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »

Rise from your grave! (as in Altered Beast)

Anyway, the new Etrian Odyssey III has just been released. If I'm not mistaken some people were interested in it and there was even a thread for the announcement of it but I found this one would be better to dig up since it could cover all three games.

I must say I was interested in this game when I first heard about it but when I found out that you have to draw yourself the maps for the dungeons I was instantly pushed away. I was already bored with the dungeons from SMT Strange Journey and they are automatic, let alone draw everything and make little notes.

Still, I'd like to know if anyone has seen it, played, any kind of first impressions.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »

Ehh, while I wouldn't mind relevant megathreads I'm leaning more towards the games getting their own threads. Then again each MegaTen game definitely deserves one yet there's still the monstrous thread.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:16 PM »

The games are meant more to appeal to people who used to have to draw their own maps for games ANYWAY.  I have fond memories of mapping out dungeons in old NES/SNES RPG's, so I'm pretty much the prime target group for this game.

It's pretty good from what I've played so far.  There's a nice balance of difficulty between the FOE's and the standard monsters, and the dungeon layouts aren't as tedious as they have been in previous games.  There's a lot more party interaction (IE: Skill combos across classes) then in the previous games, although I don't know if I like it more than EO2's yet.

One thing I don't like is that each floor has a standard random enemy that is many times tougher then the other enemies, kid of like mini-FOE's.  Several of them can OHKO anyone who isn't a Hoplite or Gladiator, so it can get annoying when they wipe out somebody after you just start exploring and you have to run back to town.  Luckily, Nectar is really cheap and plentiful, but it's still irritating.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2010, 08:48:30 AM »

So this game is kind of frustrating to the bones. I do enjoy some challenge but one hit ko is too much for me.
A shame because it does looks like it has some charm.

The games are meant more to appeal to people who used to have to draw their own maps for games ANYWAY.  I have fond memories of mapping out dungeons in old NES/SNES RPG's, so I'm pretty much the prime target group for this game.

From this I'm the exact opposite hehe, if I ever felt like I needed to draw a map or anything that is way too complex, I'd look for a guide right away. Xenogears comes to mind! I was so pissed with some dungeons in that game that after I spent so much time on one, I picked up a guide at a store (which later I found out was a one to one translated copy of a faq in gamefaqs) and played half of the game with it.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »

I picked up the first EO this week, as it's gotten alot of love on various RPG sites.

Am I wrong in thinking it's very much like the old Bard's Tale series in that you make characters, but don't really have much control over the battle system? IE things are sort of left up to chance in battle, to a degree?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »

Well, turn order might be random, but you do have some degree of control over your characters, yes.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »

turn order is just based on your agility rating right?  I don't know what you mean about things being left to chance in battle, it really didn't feel that way to me. 

I've only played EO3 though
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: