Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 10:05:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331726 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey  (Read 16214 times)
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »

Landsknecht and Hexer are both german words, looks like japanese still have their faible for german ^^. Xenogear/saga and some older rpgs also have this german influence.

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »

From what I've read, there's an item that unlocks the Ronin class and another one for the Hexer.  On floor 11 (Ronin) & 16 (Hexer) if I remember correctly.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »

I saw this video in a blog.

WTF IS THAT?

Also, I think stuff like Landskrecht or whatever may've been sprucing up in the localization. Just as well, seeing 'fighter' and 'warrior' all the time gets boring. :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »

Landsknecht is apparently some sort of mercenary and the proper english words is Lansquenet or something, so that's its own thing. But Hexer instead of witch is sort of... odd.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 01:38:56 PM »

Having fun with this. I can see alot of grinding in the future. I just got to the second floor and its brutal. The first time I started out I royally messed up my skills. I got a game over before I had the mapping quest done. Mapping things out yourself is surprisingly fun for me though, maybe im just OCD that way

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »

So uh, how are the dungeon designs?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
So uh, how are the dungeon designs?

So far, it seems like a combination to room-based layouts and corridor mazes. Nothing terribly interesting. Although there are a good amount of little events such as mysterious sounds in the bushes to investigate, flora to eat or not eat, the occasional NPC to interact with, and secret passages, among other things. Also part of the overall dungeon design are non-random enemies that show up on the map and can move around that you have to fight or avoid.

It's not the most creative dungeon design ever but the events keep things moving and the layouts are tricky (and occasionally clever) without being terribly frustrating.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »

My copy of Etrian came in the mail today. I'm pumped! I'm not going to play it right away. I still need to finish Digital Devil Saga 2. I don't want to start a new game and forget about DDS. I've done this one too many times.

I was thinking. For you guys that really are enjoying the game, you should shoot Atlus an email telling them that you like it. If a lot of positive response is seen towards the game, that might make them think about making another RPG like this.

"Oh, a hunter..."
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 05:39:52 PM »

This game is everything I hate about "old-school" RPGs rolled up into one game.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »

Then don't buy it?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »

No need to quote something directly above you.  Also, there's a good chance he didn't buy it, despite that fact he's more than welcome to share his input on it.  No need for the sixth-grade response.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »

Masamune's correct. We get games as advance releases, for free. That's one perk of working at this site.

And yeah...again, like Masamune said, don't be giving rude snarky comments to the site's webmaster. That's just a terrible idea.

And, IMO, the game isn't very good.

Ramza

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2007, 12:05:03 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Then don't buy it?

Guess what?  I don't make negative comments about games I haven't played in one form or another.  I'm reviewing this game for the site, and I'm pretty sure I'm welcome to talk about this game on my own boards.  I'm not spewing random shit in a text box and hitting the submit button - this game has just about every element I hate in old-school RPGs, and one or two I didn't realize I hated until I played the game.  The graphics are subpar to the point where you have to rely on the map to figure out where you are, the battles are tedious and not entertaining, and are very, very common, and the character customization is supbar compared to, say, Eye of the Beholder or Mazes of Fate for the GBA.  It doesn't even have the randomization of a roguelike going for it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2007, 02:26:25 AM »

Sorry. I don't tend to read the little sidebar about who's making the posts. My initial reaction was that he was just some guy that bought the game, in spite of it being something he wouldn't like -- and the information about the game and why such a person wouldn't like such a game is clearly visible on the official site and has been discussion many times over.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 02:35:24 AM »

Even then though, it's possible a guy thinks 'well damn I won't mind this stuff!' and finds out he actually abhors it. Plus it's kinda hard to not buy what's already bought in such cases.

Edit: And the spiel's made me interested in the review despite already owning the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: