Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 02:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341130 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey  (Read 16727 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2007, 12:12:36 AM »

Yo, Fadedsun, what floor are you on? I'm at the end of floor 6 (finally got a wallpaper change, the green forest was getting boring) and I've put some serious time in to get this far. Are you any farther? Any guess as to how deep the dungeon goes?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »

I've been taking things kind of slow because I've been leveling other characters. I'm on the 5th floor right now. That's the floor Fenrir is on, right?

I plan on kicking his ass tonight, and moving onto the second stratum.

I'm not sure how big the dungeon is. I'd rather be surprised. But from what I've been reading, a normal play through should last 50+ hours.

"Oh, a hunter..."
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 09:13:34 AM »

This game is fucking awesome compared to Izuna. ^_^
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2007, 06:59:29 PM »

I just played this with headphones on for the first time and WOW! The music sounds so much better. I heard little bits and pieces in the music that I couldn't hear just playing it normally.

"Oh, a hunter..."
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2007, 06:31:01 PM »

Don't listen to Ash and John. They just don't know a MANLY MAN'S RPG when they see it, because their muscles are weak and flabby.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »

Quote from: "TSG"
Don't listen to Ash and John. They just don't know a MANLY MAN'S RPG when they see it, because their muscles are weak and flabby.

This game gets particularly manly when you get to the quest where you have to stay on level 8 for 5 days of game time without returning to town. It took my about 4 hours. The reward? A crappy item you can buy in the town shop...

Oh, hell yeah, I did that shit.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
This game is everything I hate about "old-school" RPGs rolled up into one game.

Then don't buy it?

Guess what?  I don't make negative comments about games I haven't played in one form or another.  I'm reviewing this game for the site, and I'm pretty sure I'm welcome to talk about this game on my own boards.  I'm not spewing random shit in a text box and hitting the submit button - this game has just about every element I hate in old-school RPGs, and one or two I didn't realize I hated until I played the game.  The graphics are subpar to the point where you have to rely on the map to figure out where you are, the battles are tedious and not entertaining, and are very, very common, and the character customization is supbar compared to, say, Eye of the Beholder or Mazes of Fate for the GBA.  It doesn't even have the randomization of a roguelike going for it.

EO's character customization is inferior to EotB's? I heard that you can only reach level seven in that game!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2007, 12:51:09 AM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
EO's character customization is inferior to EotB's? I heard that you can only reach level seven in that game!

Yeah, D&D has less character building than Final Fantasy because that only lets me get to level 20! Final Fantasy lets me go all the way to level 99, MUCH deeper!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007, 02:21:30 AM »

I hope that was sarcasm >:(

Anyway though, EotB's character customization isn't really that great (Nonexistant?), unless the GBA version really is that different from the PC ones.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2007, 02:27:34 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I hope that was sarcasm >:(

Ofcourse, I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is to simply use how many levels you can gain as a measure of just how deep a game is.

... I can't really compare EO to EotB myself. I'm more familiar with 3rd Edition, I only have some basic knowledge of AD&D via Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, and first... Uhhh, it has dungeons, with dragons too? EO just has leveling up characters than their skills and acquiring abilities that way, so it's certainly not a shallow system.
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »

2nd edition D+D was horribly uncustomizable. Base stats, and that was it. So much for Eye of the Beholder.

Meanwhile, would you like your Etrian Odyssey protector to be a Defence Buffer? A Backup Healer? How about a Parry Build? Or an Elemental Defender.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2007, 03:40:08 PM »

2nd edition D+D was horribly uncustomizable. Base stats, and that was it. So much for Eye of the Beholder.

Meanwhile, would you like your Etrian Odyssey protector to be a Defence Buffer? A Backup Healer? How about a Parry Build? Or an Elemental Defender.

I dunno, you look at kits and the like, and it becomes much more customizable.  It's not D20 D&D, but it's more customizable than, say, (not Advanced) D&D.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"

I dunno, you look at kits and the like, and it becomes much more customizable.  It's not D20 D&D, but it's more customizable than, say, (not Advanced) D&D.

Yeah, I'll agree with KeeperX on this one. You've got a handful of base classes, a ton of "kits" (basically, subclasses under each base class), and few races to choose from (and if you are utilizing the Complete Book of humanoids, there are many more races). Then, you get to select your weapon and non-weapon proficiencies (much like skills). In the end there is a good bit of customizing to do. Most video games don't have the level of customization that AD&D has.

On a different subject, I made it dungeon level 15 in Etrian Odyssey today. How far is everyone else?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »

I'm only on floor 7. And I haven't even started mapping it yet.

I set aside my original team to make a Sword DH, Whip DH, Troubadour and two Survivalists team. They're now finally caught up to what my original teams levels were, so now I can start exploring again. I find I'm having a lot more fun playing this team than I was my original. Which was:Landsnecht, Protector, Medic, Survivalist, Alchemist.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2007, 11:21:25 PM »

I think EoB was based on some bastardized 1.5 thing SSI and Westwood made up that had a few classes from D&D 2 but none of the ones people actually like. I have no idea. I always liked Dungeon Hack more. Better customization, and that sort of real-time setup just works better with one character.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: