Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 10:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327920 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell Trailer and scans (56k=no)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: New Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell Trailer and scans (56k=no)  (Read 6951 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »

Actually, you can get good samples for how the VA is by staying at the title screen, they'll start looping some cinematics. Personally, I think it's fine, about on par with most games and anime nowadays, though I only saw the scene with the girl talking with Chopin. I guess if you're overly picky or elitist or whatever and hate the rest of these dubs still, then yeah, you won't like this either. Of course, battle VA gets annoying, but that's unavoidable. Games should just shut the fuck up unless appropriate and save it for grunts and stuff, but it's a tolerable level for me unlike AI, probably because the monsters aren't screaming cheesy one liners all the time.

I wouldn't really want it in Japanese personally. This is a /European man's/ dreamworld and whatnot, why the fuck should they be speaking Japanese? I'll stick with authenticity, or something that resembles authenticity, for the game's place and situation.

As for the game itself: I think it's pretty fun. Kinda reminds me of ToS, and the battle system's fun. I kinda wish I could move the camera (one of the big reasons it reminds me of ToS, fixed camera and similar angles), but then I pretty much think that about any of these RPGs.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »

Eusis... Sounds like you're kinda of the same opinion as myself on these things. I'm not an elitist when it comes to voice acting, in fact, if it's in english, I like it to be as western sounding as possible... I don't think it works when the voice acting is in one language, but the construction of the dialog is very much in another. Ar Tonelico strikes me that way at times, and it bugs me... where-as the Tales games do a great job at just forgetting the fact that the games are originally Japanese, and moving on from there. For anime, I generally prefer which ever voice acting sounds more realistic to the characters... be it Japanese or English. Previously, that meant it was always better in Japanese, but that's changing.

This is really sounding good. I'm now set on getting a 360 in September, at the latest. That's sooner than I expected, coming from something that hasn't even been released yet in Japan... I'm used to waiting 8 months to get a US release.

BTW: are any of the female characters Georg Sans? It wouldn't surprise  me, but seeing as though Chopin is just a kid, it would be a little strange.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Actually, you can get good samples for how the VA is by staying at the title screen, they'll start looping some cinematics. Personally, I think it's fine, about on par with most games and anime nowadays, though I only saw the scene with the girl talking with Chopin. I guess if you're overly picky or elitist or whatever and hate the rest of these dubs still, then yeah, you won't like this either. Of course, battle VA gets annoying, but that's unavoidable. Games should just shut the fuck up unless appropriate and save it for grunts and stuff, but it's a tolerable level for me unlike AI, probably because the monsters aren't screaming cheesy one liners all the time.

I wouldn't really want it in Japanese personally. This is a /European man's/ dreamworld and whatnot, why the fuck should they be speaking Japanese? I'll stick with authenticity, or something that resembles authenticity, for the game's place and situation.

Your last point is really stupid, he's wasn't British anyways. This isn't about authenticity, but the quality of the voices.

I agree that the dub is on par with anime dubs, but those are generally poor as well. They are not however on par with good video games, take Psychonauts or Gears of War for example. They simply need better talent, or hire different voice actors than the saturday morning cartoon voice actors. The voices just aren't realistic or sincere. If I could get Psychonauts or Gears quality voice acting with JRPGs I would prefer them over the Japanese orignal voices, but with the kind of quality the game has I'll gladly take the original language, which even has Japanese voice actors that I recognize.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 11:20:27 PM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
Your last point is really stupid, he's wasn't British anyways. This isn't about authenticity, but the quality of the voices.

Hey genius, I said European not British and also 'authenticity, or something that resembles authenticity'. It's a smaller stretch for a Polish man to speaking and, uh, dreaming in English than Japanese. But that's kinda beside the point.

I think anime dubs have gotten better too, though. But whatever, everyone's got their own preferences I guess. Keep in mind though these games and anime share talent with some of the most celebrated dubs, like those of Cowboy Bebop and DDS, and there's the factors of the writing and directing quality, even Farleen's voice actress was fine in GitS:SAC, and that's one of the best anime dubs I've ever heard. This isn't the mid-90's anymore where these dubs genuinely were shit more often than not.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 02:31:43 PM »

Not sure if it's been said on the forums yet, but there's a demo up on the Japanese marketplace for those interested.

Also, it's in English (of you have your console's language set so).

[/url]
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: