Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327271 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  16:9 PS2 RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 16:9 PS2 RPG?  (Read 5339 times)
fuerstma

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »

Hey all,

I just started up Dragons Quest VIII and much to my surprise it can play in 16:9 mode, sweet.. I love using my full screen.

Is there a list of PS2 games that are 16:9 compatible?

Thanks!

Matt
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:02:59 PM »

While it's not specifically RPGs, here's a list of PS2 titles that take advantage of HD or 16:9 aspect ratio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Progressive_Scan_PS2_Games

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »

Interesting, I was unaware that the PS2 was capable of doing HD resolution... I guess this means that ALL game systems have the capability of doing HD resolution?

BTW: I noticed that no actually decent games are HD capable (except for GT4, which still isn't "my thing"). I was a bit miffed that Okami and Tales of the Abyss weren't at least 16:9 compatable. After playing Twilight Princess and FF12, it was a bit of a letdown.

Funny thing, I just discovered that Smash Bros. Melee, on the Cube is Widescreen compatable, I guess you have to hold down the shoulder buttons on start up. My friends all did it by accident the other day, and there we were, playing SBM in all it's widescreen non-stretched glory!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:37:42 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Interesting, I was unaware that the PS2 was capable of doing HD resolution... I guess this means that ALL game systems have the capability of doing HD resolution?

BTW: I noticed that no actually decent games are HD capable (except for GT4, which still isn't "my thing"). I was a bit miffed that Okami and Tales of the Abyss weren't at least 16:9 compatable. After playing Twilight Princess and FF12, it was a bit of a letdown.

Funny thing, I just discovered that Smash Bros. Melee, on the Cube is Widescreen compatable, I guess you have to hold down the shoulder buttons on start up. My friends all did it by accident the other day, and there we were, playing SBM in all it's widescreen non-stretched glory!

16:9 is not HD resolution...merely an aspect ratio.

BIIIIIIIIIIIG difference.

*Hd requires HD output and an HD TV...which currently only the 360 and PS3 can only do.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

Dude, Dade, I'm aware of that... I am a TV producer, after all. I just happened to mention them in the same sentance. But the list also showed which PS2 games ran in 720p and 1080i... that's what I was commenting on.

No, so far I have an HD TV which has never seen anything past EDTV resolution :(

Sad... isn't it...

I guess I'll just have to bend over and pick up a 360... "ouch, my back"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"

Dude, Dade, I'm aware of that... I am a TV producer, after all.

OOOOOOH

Well mr. Tv Producer...then why does

sound like you have no idea what you're talking about?

Yeah, you're done.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »

Yeah, you're done.

Dumbass, the wiki entry lists games that have HD resolutions.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:28:45 PM »

Dade is wrong.

PS2 and Xbox are both capable of high definition resolutions - when Tourist Trophy came out, we played it in 1080i.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Dade is wrong.

PS2 and Xbox are both capable of high definition resolutions - when Tourist Trophy came out, we played it in 1080i.

Wasn't even the GameCube capable of doing HD? Wasn't that the purpose of the earlier versions having a DVI port or something like that? Sorry, I'm not a hardware expert.

Which means, even the Wii is CAPABLE of doing HD, it just probably won't because of its horsepower. IMO, the jump from ED->HD isn't nearly as big as the jump from SD->ED... interlacing is fucking foul.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »

The GCN has the same capabilities as the Wii - the ability to output into 480p and 16:9 aspect ratio, but not to output any other HD resolutions (720P or 1080i/p).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 04:53:22 PM »

I imagine it could handle it, Nintendo just doesn't wanna enable it. Not sure whether that's to ensure quality, it requires some extra crap in the hardware and all (early versions of the PS2, as far as I know, can't handle anything above 480), or if Nintendo's just being stupid.

And I think 720p and higher is a MUCH more noticeable difference than 480p, but that's just me.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »

Most Wii interactives in Gamestop and EB stores are running in 480p.  I honestly can't see much of a difference.

Edit: Although playing God of War II in 480p did make a lot of the effects slightly prettier.  Then again, there's not many good games to test 480p out with on the Wii.  Zelda looks almost identical on the Wii and the GC and stuff like Paper Mario doesn't really matter if it's run in HD or not.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 05:39:37 PM »

Well, from what I've noticed, LCD screens automatically deinterlace interlaced footage anyway (they run both fields similtaneously), so you don't get the bad flicker effects that are the result of CRT displays. So the difference between an interlaced signal and non-interlaced signal on an LCD is not really that different.

But, to make many games with fine text playable on a CRT, you must switch on an interlace reduction filter (some games have them, like FF12), which virtically blurs the screen by about 1 pixel (thus getting rid of hard horizontal edges that cause flickering). But makes the picture blurry. With an LCD or progressive scan CRT (like a computer monitor), you don't have to blur the screen.

I dunno... I just can't stand interlaced video, it's just so dirty-looking. I don't really mind 640x720 resolution, with moving video, it's bearilly decernable pixel to pixel anyway. Now, maybe after I've watched HD for a while, I will feel differently... but only one station in my town puts out an HD signal, and I don't have any HD capable game systems or media, so currently, my HDTV is just being used to do EDTV... which I see as a huge improvement over my old CRT.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »

I see a lot of people complaining that games don't support HD or widescreen or whatever.

Me?

I just wish I had a TV that had stereo sound.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »

Stereo's overrated.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: