Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 01:11:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330204 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 52085 times)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2006, 03:12:06 PM »

I've got a Collector's Edition preordered, but I'm not so sure I want to spend $10 on some stuff that I may never look at.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2006, 04:29:13 PM »

Quote from: "B'Jyna"
When info started trickling out, I was very excited at a Non-Nomura/Kitase produced FF(I hate them so much!).

While I don't really hate them or anything, it is nice to take a break from their styles every so often.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2006, 04:34:14 PM »

While I did not like Final Fantasy VIII and was rather indifferent to Final Fantasy X-2, I still greatly prefer Kitase's work over the job the fourth production team has done recently. Final Fantasy IX at least was a stellar blast from the past combined with PlayStation eye-candy, but Final Fantasy XII? In the time it took them to make that damn game, Square Enix usually makes two (OK, almost) Final Fantasy main series installments.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »

This game looks like it'll restore my faith in the series. I thought FF X was really not good at all, after having just before played FFs 8 and 9. It looks like this has got certain things borrowed from other games, like a battle system which is uncannily similar to Secret of Mana's, and a successful sphere-grid-type system that's rather like Digital Devil Saga's. Shows Yasumi Matsuno really does know what makes an rpg good...

And come to think of it, this is only the 2nd main FF since the PS-era to be set in a fantasy world. Says something, doesn't it?
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2006, 09:13:49 PM »

The License Board is nothing like Digital Devil Saga's Mantra system.  I'm not sure what gave you that impression.

I agree w/ Chris - Final Fantasy XII was interesting.  It's good that they're [trying to] be innovative, depart from the norm, etc... but really, the results were less-than-stellar, especially in the storytelling/character development departments.  And it's true... Square-Enix could churn out almost *two* normal, decent Final Fantasies in the time they used making that "experiment" known as Final Fantasy XII.  There's much to love in FF12, mainly in the gameplay... and I wanted to love it on the whole, but the dissatisfying story and characters were just plain unacceptable.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2006, 09:53:52 PM »

Is there any way someone could give more detail regarding why the story/characters were less than stellar?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2006, 10:47:59 PM »

FWIW, people who don't have it preordered yet can apparently pick up a copy of FFXII at Circuit City for $37.99.  Not sure if that's a local price or a nationwide price...but that's what it's listed at on the site too: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Final-Fantasy-XII-PlayStation-2/sem/rpsm/oid/159407/catOid/-16481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
Is there any way someone could give more detail regarding why the story/characters were less than stellar?

It's pretty much the first non-character driven Final Fantasy.  The characters themselves are extremely cliched, and frankly, Vaan and Panelo barely fit into the story at all.  Balthier frequently comments in the game, "Stand back, boy... I'M the hero of this story," and it's true.  The storyline itself is extremely predictable, and the game makes it very obvious who the last boss is within the first ~2 hours of the experience.  

Granted, there ARE a few powerful, emotional scenes which made me think, "Wow!  This is Final Fantasy...!" but overall, the whole package was sadly lacking.  When the vast majority of the story unfolds in "Meanwhile..." scenes, there's a problem.  It's yet another Final Fantasy X-esque "Follow the heroine around the world while she collects all the artifacts/summons/whatever to save everyone," and that formula's gettin' real old in my book.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2006, 11:33:19 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
FWIW, people who don't have it preordered yet can apparently pick up a copy of FFXII at Circuit City for $37.99.  Not sure if that's a local price or a nationwide price...but that's what it's listed at on the site too: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Final-Fantasy-XII-PlayStation-2/sem/rpsm/oid/159407/catOid/-16481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

That may just cancel my pre-order. Whatever the case, I'm definately checkin' out my local Circuit City first. Hell, I might as well order it online if they don't have it in stock, because $12 or $22 is a lot in my book. Thanks for the info Ryos!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »

Superflat -  If you got it at Gamestop, you can always do a price challenge.  You just have to bring the flyer from CC (it was in this Sunday's paper).

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2006, 03:28:38 AM »

Got the CE at GameStop. I'll post impressions sometime tomorrow.

Edit: Actually, technically later today. Shut up.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2006, 03:36:45 AM »

Hey!  I can talk about the game now!

To be fair, I only got a week headstart over the rest of you, as I was busy with school, but I'm digging the game; the combat seems a bit hands-off at first, but I still like the game overall; the politically-driven story is pretty good, as well.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2006, 04:32:04 AM »

If my PS2 keeps acting up, it might be awhile before I play it. And I went out for the fucking Midnight launch too.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2006, 08:38:33 AM »

The review of the game is up. Hate me for loving the game as much as I did, but I enjoyed the characterization, especially in comparison to FFVII-X. They could have done more with their development, but that would have really kept players off focus from the main storyline.

I really dont understand why you were disappointed in the storyline Shig/Gast. Granted that it wasn't the mind fuck Xenosaga was, but compared to what's out there, its pretty commendable in my book. Honestly, the main storyline aside, the sheer amount of gameplay content was what kept me enthralled. There's probably more to do in the game outside the main quest anyway. I'm also thrilled that they didn't pull an end boss out of their asshole like they have for the last few games. I do regret that they didn't delve more into each character's back story, because they had alot of potential. But alas, this is Final Fantasy, not Days of Our Lives or the McNeil Hour.

I advise people to enjoy it for the sum of its parts and try to shed the "jaded RPG gamer" badge we all seem to covet.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »

Yeah, I think the PS2's dead. Fucking wonderful, I try to get the game at midnight, and come home to the system conveniently crapping out on me just as I get the game at the dead of night. Guess I'll have to replace it; if what I heard about the number of pre-orders at my local GameCrazy's right, I may just have to give up on the Wii for the time being and use that money to get one of those silver slim PS2s.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: