Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331898 Posts in 13592 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 52446 times)
Sartori

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »

Hello again,

Well after playing most of the day today I got the hang of the viewing stick, almost second nature to me now:)

Am very impressed with the game, characters, voice acting, story, pretty much sucked me in for the day.....

Some of the battles where theres a few enemies get a little confusing at times, but concentrating on one at a time seemed to help.

Hope your all having fun too....
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2006, 11:06:32 AM »

I love how you don't have to make stereotypical "Job" characters. I made Penelo a spear-wielding mage, for instance. The only things I wish would have been included are weapon-specific/character-specific abilities (besides quickenings). All my swordsman Basch can do is pretty much attack and use items, and a little bit of low-level white and green magic. I've basically been buffing him up with stat increases.

I'm also still having trouble with Gambits, at least with offensive magic. Either my characters blast through their MP or they don't cast at all, depending on how I've set them up. Maybe I need to wait and get more gambits, but I feel like there should be a way to control it for now.

I'm about 14 hours in. I've gotten into the Tomb of Raithwall.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »

Okay, I'm about 5 hours into this game and actually haven't really done anything. I saw the parade with the new Consul. All I've been doing is hunting. Found the Thexera, but haven't been able to defeat him...just been trying to level up. I think Vaan is level 5...don't have any other party members at the moment. I have to say though the game is amazing. Graphics are gorgeous and the music is so epic. I've heard the music isn't too much of anything special but I actually like it very much. I wish you could block while fighting, but that is the only drawback I've come across in my relatively short time playing.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2006, 12:49:16 PM »

Yeah, I think blocking seems to happen automatically by chance. Once you get farther in the liscense board and get some shields, it'll happen more often.
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2006, 01:48:11 PM »

Blocking occurs randomly, but there are augments on the license board and accessories that increases the chance of blocking.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2006, 06:37:18 PM »

Man, some of the boss fights are just brutal!   Most of my time is spent wandering the desert just to level and gather junk to sell because no matter what, you'll never have enough gil to buy everything you can use.

Don't get me wrong though, it's great to play a FF you can't  just plow through with ease.  

One thing i don't get though is the 'Mist' attack.. Apparently you have to mash the R2 button but nothing seems to happen when i do that...(?)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »

Quote from: "Esper_Crusader"
Man, some of the boss fights are just brutal!   Most of my time is spent wandering the desert just to level and gather junk to sell because no matter what, you'll never have enough gil to buy everything you can use.

Don't get me wrong though, it's great to play a FF you can't  just plow through with ease.  

One thing i don't get though is the 'Mist' attack.. Apparently you have to mash the R2 button but nothing seems to happen when i do that...(?)
Yes, I agree it's just hard so trying to buy all the equipment that you want. I find myself spending hours at a time gaining LP and Loot.

When you press R2 during quickening attacks it shuffles through your characters until you see one with a button next to thier name. When this happens, you can use another quickening attack. You keep doing this until the timer runs out.

BTW, I finally got my first Esper. It took long enough.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2006, 07:53:52 PM »

For the most part, I've enjoyed my time with FFXII.  Some of the appeal is really starting to wear thin though.

I'm really starting to hate the lack of structure in character building.  Basically, all my characters are almost identical in terms of abilities.  All their Gambits are pretty similar.  I can pretty much just sit back and watch them kill everything on the screen.  I have no problem with that kind of gameplay.  The problem I'm having is that just about any setup works for just about everything.  It really makes me miss the kind of tactics that had to be used in FFXI.

I'm enjoying the story and I also like the older main characters.  I really can't stand Vaan or Penelo.
Code:
It's only been 18 hours and it already feels like their development is over.  Especially Penelo who has had no real purpose.
 One day, I would like to see a Final Fantasy game with an adult audience in mind.  I really hate how they just tacked on a typical teenage male hero.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2006, 10:34:56 PM »

I'd say, besides Vaan, the game seems to be tailored to a more adult audience. I know this is said a lot, but there is a much darker mood than previous games. Plus, a majority of the characters are above 18. Vaan and Penelo are the only "young" characters, and Penelo seems pretty mature.

I have mixed feelings about the character building. I do like the freedom to create a character that doesn't follow "Job" conventions, but I don't like the fact that all my characters seem to be the same. I try and make characters learn different skills, but I end up having to learn many of the same things to get anywhere. I really like the idea, but I wish the developers could have done more with it.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »

I hate the camera.

That's all.

[/url]
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"

I have mixed feelings about the character building. I do like the freedom to create a character that doesn't follow "Job" conventions, but I don't like the fact that all my characters seem to be the same. I try and make characters learn different skills, but I end up having to learn many of the same things to get anywhere. I really like the idea, but I wish the developers could have done more with it.
I don't know I guess it's just me, but all the characters learning the same skills doesn't bother me too much. I mean, FF7 was the same way to an extent.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »

It bugs me when I /have/ to, and can't really make each unique. I can do the same thing, for the most part, in the DDS games, but they're each nudged along a certain path, and can only have 8 skills on at a time - ergo, while you COULD do it, it's far more beneficial to develop everyone's unique strengths, and give each unique skill sets. Similar could be said about FFVII, where they were only the same with overpowered Master materia anyway or if you deliberately decided to set everyone up the same.

I'll need to play more FFXII, but theoretically it looks like everyone can be made unique anyway. However, what Merkava noted about making everyone the same anyway is worrying.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:00 AM »

They really shouldn't have grouped all the 'augments' together, that's what hurt customization. It comes down to is your character primarily a melee or a mage? Melee takes the bottom augment section, mages take the topside(And eventually everyone becomes hybrid when you've more points then you know what to do with). Fill in gear/spell/ability slots as you buy/find them and gambits when you realize 'I don't have enough gambit slots'.

Not a game breaking flaw or anything though. I like the battle system and I have one GIANT world to explore so I'm satisfied.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:33 AM »

Plus, a majority of the characters are above 18. Vaan and Penelo are the only "young" characters, and Penelo seems pretty mature.

That makes it even worse in my opinion.  You could almost take Vaan and Penelo out of the game and the story really wouldn't suffer (keep in mind I've only played 20 hours).  Based on how old the series is, I think it's safe to assume that a good portion of the fans are 20+ years old.  Though FFXII does have a good number of adult main characters, a lot of the story is still told through Vaan's eyes.  Based on the importance he has on the plot, It's pretty hard not to assume it was done merely for the sake of attracting younger gamers.

I don't know I guess it's just me, but all the characters learning the same skills doesn't bother me too much. I mean, FF7 was the same way to an extent.

It's not the fact that everyone can learn that same skills that makes every character feel the same.  It's that statistic wise, they're pretty much the same.  A few modifier points of difference really don't seem to mean a lot.  The biggest difference I can see between characters is the HP/MP values.  Even that isn't really all that much.  Also, each character wields each weapon with the same level of skills... same goes for magic and other skills.

There is also the fact that the game design really doesn't encourage different character builds.  I could make an enfeebling magic character... but what's the point?  A meele/healing character does just as good in the same exact situation.
Reunion

elementfayt
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2006, 05:59:19 AM »

Wow. This game is massive. I'm 53 hours into the game, and i've still only scratch the surface. I think im about half way through the story, and only 1/16 through all the hunts/side quests. I'd suggest getting the guide for those who dont have it. It's very helpful.

On another note. (Not Story Related)

Code:
Wasn't sure if this was going to be spoiler infomation or not, but here it goes. My brother was telling me how all the esper arise from all the differant games in the series, a majority coming for Final Fantasy Tactics.  For example Belias the first esper you receive. Is actually the real translation of Velius (sp) the boss in chapter 3 in FFT. Can anyone confirm or deny this. If so what games do the other esper come from, i'd really like to know.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: