Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 52978 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2007, 12:09:45 AM »

I'm loving FFXII so far! I played the demo and thought, to put it nicely, that it was immensely shitty, so I don't know if they changed something, or what, or if it's just something you need to be there from the get-go to get.

Anyway, Vaan's the main? I thought it was like in FFVI where there wasn't supposed to be any main character. But, um, I know I'm not very far yet, but other than breaking into the palace and being related to some dead guy, Vaan's not really done anything important yet. And those two things he's mostly be passively involved in. I don't THINK he had to make any special effort to be related to Reks, unless he went back in time and somehow became his own father. As I said, I'm not that far into it yet.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sarcasmorator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »

Vaan's really not the main character. He's your avatar in towns, but it's really Balthier, Fran, Ashe and Basch who the story revolves around.

So long, Scorpex!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2007, 05:26:11 AM »

I'm really enjoying it so far too. Yesterday I spent like 11 hours playing it thanks to the flu, but it's been a great flu experience so far. I'm trying to stay on top of all the Hunts, but now they're putting up Rank V hunts and I doubt I'm ready for those. In terms of customization, I'm trying very hard to make all my characters go different paths on the License board, but I find myself spending license points on Augment licenses, stuff like Battle Lore and HP+. At least I'm getting them all to use more or less different weapons.

20 hours in, just visited the Garif-people en route to wherever I'm supposed to be next, some jungle/forest I think.

phan1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2007, 01:41:42 AM »

Major complaint about the game (spoiler free):

I think the the biggest problem is that even though the story is good, it isn't implemented very well.  I've never played a game for so long and felt like having accomplished so little.  If you run through the story in your head, this should really be about a 35-40 hour game.  The main problem is that the game is just chock full of hours on hours of "meaningless battles".  Most of the time, you're going to be wandering around the world exploing and fighting enemies that have no direct relevence to the story.  To sum it all up, this RPG isn't plot driven at all.    

In general, there is just too much meaningless stuff in this game.  The "core" of the game is fantastic (battle system, main story, artwork, environment ect.).  But there's too much excess material in there for me to handle.  Vaan and Penelo are pretty meaningless characters and there are hours and hours of battles just to travel to your next destination.  Like I said, this game should be a 40 hour game that has been blown up into an 80 hour game.  Half of the time, all you're doing is just traveling to your next destination.  It's like in WInd Waker where half of the time, you're on your boat sailing to your next destination.  BORING!

It's a shame because it's one of the most flawless RPGs I've ever played.  But for some reason, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  It just didn't have the "it" factor that some RPGs have.  But kudos to Square for keeping the FF series progressive and fresh.  They're definitely pushing the series in the right direction.  It's a good game, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2007, 03:06:34 AM »

Doesn't that complaint basically apply to, um, every RPG, ever?

[/url]
phan1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2007, 05:30:43 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Doesn't that complaint basically apply to, um, every RPG, ever?

No.  It's a bit hard to explain.  I don't spend hours and hours "traveling" in any other RPG.  I go through dungeons and missions that are task oriented (like finding the orb or scroll, solving a mystery ect.), but I never had to spend half my time "traveling" in an RPG.  Like I said, I'd really compare it to Wind Waker.  The game is fun, but half the time, you're sailing in your stupid boat.  The dungeons are great in FF, but the "traveling" part really feels like work more than play.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »

I like the traveling. It's a nice alternative to, say, Star Ocean 3, where it's like, "We have to take a carriage between two incredibly distant town!" and in reality there's all of ten minutes of plains between.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2007, 12:41:37 AM »

On Vaan and Penelo: I think the deal with them is that the game's trying to say that you don't have to be important or well known to want to make a difference. Vaan and Penelo just want to protect their home, and even though they're just your average citizens, they're doing all they can to make a difference. You don't have to be some knight or a prince to want to defend your homeland.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2007, 12:52:22 AM »

That's true Ash, but just because they aren't in the same social strata or what have you as Ashe or Basch doesn't mean they couldn't have gotten even a little bit of back story.  Sure, nobody outside Ashe and Balthier gets much anyway, but they could have gotten some.  Especially Penelo, the poor bitch. :P

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2007, 12:56:51 AM »

Penelo's backstory is, like. I AM ORPHAN. HOW DO I SHOT STEALING? Giving them some sort of convoluted backstory is sort of at odds with the whole normal person thing.

I guess they're sort of Allen Beardsly, only, like, not trying to date some worthless psycho bitch.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »

Re: Vaan and Penelo's lacking backstory.

From what little I've read on the web about the upcoming Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings for the DS, that game will allegedly be centered more around Vaan and Penelo and give insight into both of them.

Let's hope this offshoot is good.  Square Enix hasn't had the world's greatest track record with main series offshoots.  Dirge of Cerberus was not very good at all, though it did give backstory into Vincent, whose was lacking in the main game (I thought.)  I kinda dug FFX-2, but many thought it was complete fluff and took away from the mystique of FFX's ending.  FF Tactics was a masterpiece but many thought FF Tactics advance was not as dynamic.  

But, yeah, it seems that Revenant Wings will give Vaan and Penelo the development they didn't get in the main game.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
phan1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »

Actually, I think all the characters are lacking some back-story.  We really don't know too much about the characters outside the main plot.  I would like to know more about Fran and how she met Balthier for example.  Most RPGs, you end up knowing just about everything about the characters.  Heck, there are usually sub-plots dedicated to each character in your party.  The FFXII story is very good; I just wish there was more of it.  You could actually fully explain the story in just a few paragraphs.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »

Do you REALLY need to know every little detail about the characters, though? I mean, at that case, you run the risk of the thing become a massive info dump. I wouldn't even say that most of the stuff you end up learning about a character's backstory is really important anyway. It's fun trivia, but nothing really more. Also, it has to be considered that some characters' backstories aren't going to be really known by anyone but them, and in that case, they might not being willing to talk.

And, of course, the other option is that their backstories really aren't anything interesting beyond what they appear to be. Not everyone has a dark and troubled past.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2007, 09:03:40 PM »

Well, for what it's worth, here's the official Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings site.  

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw/

And from what I gather from it, some RPGfan news snippets, and an RPGfan interview
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1511.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/features/kamikokuryou-interview/index.html

it seems Vaan, Penelo, and others who didn't get big roles in FFXII may get some spotlight in Revenant Wings.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »

I've played a bit more. It seems like there's less an less making the characters distinct. As far as armor goes, it STILL looks like you need to have characters specialize somewhat to get anymore. However, weapons... have issues. I've noticed that certain types of weapons (guns) are completely useless so far (doing... much, much less damage than everything else). Also, I've noticed that... at that Tomb, whatever Axe is being sold is doing substantially MORE damage (20~) than everything else. So I'm starting to wonder if there's even a point in specializing in different kinds of weapons..?

Skills... that side of the board is bugging me. Within a certain bounds, you HAVE to play everyone as a jack of all trades there just to get them out of the starting box. The three main paths there are... magic, techs, and accessories, with all the magic types being mixed up and pretty close so there hasn't been much point in specializing yet. And given that any char with the skill can cast any purchased magic...

Quickenings aren't that interesting. They're visually different, but so far, that's it.

Basically the license board reminds me of a mix of two things -- the karma grid from DDS2 and the skill panels from unlimited saga. These both put limits on the number of skills you could use, keeping the characters distinct. US had a finite number of skills you could have at once. DDS2 made its karma hexes a lot costlier than licenses are in comparison*, and more importantly, even if you DID max everyone out, there were a finite number of skills you could have *in battle*.

I don't know. A cap on what everyone could get would be nice, or more unique limit break type things would've helped.

* The fact that you have to buy the hexes still sort of bugs me.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: