Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 12:57:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341062 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 53999 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 11:33:06 AM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
Something I've realized over the years is that FF games have always seemed more professional to me. I can always tell the game is going to well-made. Ever FF game looks, sounds, and feels like SE put a lot of time and energy into them. Even if you don't particularly like one of the games, you can at least admit that the game wasn't half-assed. I'm sure FFXII will be great, and the demo just made me more excited.

I think that's why FF has become so successful. I know many people who ONLY play FF rpg's because they like the epicness, the love interests, all that junk.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »

I don't believe that's what I mean. FF covers mostly the same ground as other RPG's, but the difference with FF is the execution, IMO. It's done with a lot of work and effort, and it shows. Of course, I'm not saying they're the only games that have that professional quality; it's just that they're a good example of games that aren't half-assed.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »

Well, I do understand what you mean, I guess my reply didn't seem to fit very well :)

I do agree that they are very polished, like Titanic the movie vs an indie film. This tends to attract more casual gamers with the cinematics, great graphics, touching stories, etc.
Skulldead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »

I don't know if its been said, but the game score 40 on the last famitsu issues and  90/95/90/90 in Dengeki.

I fell the hype will start soon....
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 08:09:37 PM »

So, it has been released already. I got the demo waiting to be played, so I can't comment on my expectations just yet. Who is importing?
CHRoNo

gti_boy4u@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 07:07:11 AM »

Ive been playing this game for about 7 hours, about 5 of them levelling up and just exploring.
I dont know a thing Japanese so its very hard to tell whats going on and what to do.
Let me just say if anyone doubted Square for anything about this game, you were wrong.
Especially those who doubted the battle system, which is F*KN awesome, the US demo doesnt do this system justice, and remembering im only genuinly about 1 or 2 hours into the game.

"Hey you better get that red dot checked out, my uncle died of crotch dot !" -Chief Wiggum
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »

Yeah I already clocked in 6 hours in FFXII and although I don't understand Japanese, I'm having a blast playing this game. Never played the demo, so the battle system was a surprise and I like it quite a bit.
So far this game is awesome, really pretty graphics and nice music too.
Can't really say anything about the plot, because I don't understand what's going on, but it sure looks intriguing.

P.S. The opening movie was AWESOME!!!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »

How's the level up system?? I think it's called the judgement system or something...
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »

It's called the License Board, I think.
Anyways you gain XP and LP from battles, so it's actually independent from leveling up.
It's a huge 'chessboard' where you can spend LP to buy abilities and such. Actually it consists of two sections, one deals with your status (you get stat bonuses, I saw one that added +50HP and a whole bunch of other stuff, didn't understand what it said) and Magic (you can buy different type of magic).
The  other one deals with what kind of gear you can equip (guns/bows/armor/hats etc.). Each square usually have a few types (of magic or equipment) and are character specific, so some squares are useless for some characters. Guess that's what makes characters different from eachother, cause each character has the same board.  And each time you open a square, adjacent squares will open up.

Well this is what I think it does, but am not really sure. Really hard to understand when you don't know any Japanese.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »

So similar to the grid in FFX?? That would be cool, I actually liked that.
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »

Almost similar yes, but this one has every character (well Vaan, Balflear and Fran sofar), starting with almost the same squares open. First I thought you could make everybody the same, but it seems some squares are useless for others and are just a waste of LP and usually the same square adds different abilities to different characters, which you can see when something is written in white or gray for that person.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2006, 07:53:08 PM »

I'm not sure if any of you can answer this question, but I'm doing the first monster hunt (for those of you familiar with FF XI.. the beast looks like a mandragora with a tomato for a head)

I found the thing, defeated it and ran back to town to the pub, but it says I still have one objective under that particular little quest. (Two are checked off as completed)

Seeing as I can't read Japanese, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what that last "goal" is.

I've browsed through the sewers(GameFaqs), but I can't find what I'm looking for.. so any help some of you could offer would be most welcome. Thanks :)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:29 PM »

This game sucks.  It's like an mmo lawls.

(I just started, so I don't really have an opinion of the game, yet.  It is pretty, though.)

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2006, 09:31:03 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
This game sucks.  It's like an mmo lawls.

(I just started, so I don't really have an opinion of the game, yet.  It is pretty, though.)

-John

Looks like someone wasted their money....no worries, I'll pay you back.....

IN RAPE DOLLARS!

/Evil Spiderman

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2006, 10:28:20 PM »

Nevermind my previous question.. I asked around the bar and found the person who posted the bounty.. and he paid me. w00t! =)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: