Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327766 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 51437 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2006, 05:52:47 AM »

I actually consider missable items to be a branch off of the linearity complaint - it's because of that linearity and dedication to following a story that makes one able to miss them.

It really depends on the items and the game style - missable items is no biggie for a game like CT or CC where you can get them on a replay anyway, and dungeons that vanish containing items you can buy or pick up later really aren't that big of a deal. But I'm not fond of dungeons that unexpectedly get blown up when I trigger a boss fight I wasn't sure I was going to reach, or doing a sidequest and being boned if I don't do it correctly and missing a one-of-a-kind item or skill. In fact, while I've done it to death, Baten Kaitos inexplicably manages BOTH, though more of the former.
Code:
Lyude's endgame sidequest has you exploring a ghost ship variation of an older dungeon. After you go into each room on it, if you head back to the main area you'll automatically, and with no warning, be thrown into a boss fight. After beating this boss, the dungeon will be gone for good, and if you happened to miss any items on it, you're fucked. I backtracked out of the last room I was in to make sure to loot the place more thoroughly, and wound up triggering said boss battle.

You know, I'm starting to think we oughta carry over this missable item thing over to the RPG complaints thread. :P

Edit: Now that I think about it, that's actually what is most annoying about missable items in RPGs, when there's next to no warning, or even no justification. The boat in FFVII with the Ifrit materia you obviously wouldn't be getting back on, plus that's dropped right in front of your feet so it's your fault if you miss it. But something like vendors simply deciding to not sell certain items anymore just 'cuz, like in Atelier Iris, is stupid. It's good to cover your ass and be on the safe side, but a game shouldn't penalize you for being human or because you're not /neurotic/ about getting everything.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 10:13:39 AM »

That's basically my complaint, and it may seem nitpicky, but my OCD doesn't like it :p

SH:C had an item that you could miss if you didn't do one quest right, some item for lucia I believe. But if you did miss it you could just buy it for a lot of money at the end of the game.

@Hidoshi, what doesn't FFXII have???
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 10:33:48 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
You know complaints are getting more and more inane these days.

People on Grandia 3: "It sucks because Yuki uses a sword."
People on Tales of Legendia: "It sucks because Senel doesn't use a sword."

People on current games: "They're not CHALLENGING enough."
People on SMT games: "They're too hard."

People on FFX: "Too linear, there's no sense of exploration."
People on other games: "I don't want to miss any items, exploration sucks."

Some of you people should just stop playing games altogether.

True.
EDIT: Dasch, random encounters?
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2006, 11:26:21 AM »

Bogatyr got it. :P
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2006, 11:36:13 AM »

Oh, yeah, duh I'm slow. That's one of the thing I enjoyed with the demo, I could just wander around enjoying the environment, then approach enemies at my own pace.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2006, 11:40:46 AM »

People on FFX: "Too linear, there's no sense of exploration."
People on other games: "I don't want to miss any items, exploration sucks."

Actually I find the SaGa series annoying sometimes because of too much exploring (sometimes theres is little to no pace at all).  FFX didn't bother me though, hell, at least FFX-2 had several endings.

I really hope your point about Yuki using a sword (and people complaining) isn't true....  But I liked using Senel as a fist fighter,  he got the ability to throw (for major damage) instead. =P

I find it interesting though how the Breath of Fire series, which went though many changes between the five titles, always ended up as a love-it-or-hate-it title.  In the end, I feel its too hard to please people, especially when games get a big-old reputation slapped on them.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2006, 03:47:47 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
But I'm not fond of dungeons that unexpectedly get blown up when I trigger a boss fight I wasn't sure I was going to reach, or doing a sidequest and being boned if I don't do it correctly and missing a one-of-a-kind item or skill.

This issue and "roach motel last dungeons" are probably my biggest pet peeves if not the only ones that really grind my gears. Ive been had time and again when last dungeons in a game have a "point of no return" or when you enter, your not getting out again. True I could reset and start from the last save point from before I entered the infamous roach motel last dungeon, but sometimes I just plain dont feel like it. Ive only had a few problems with sidequest failure and dungeons being destroyed after you trigger something leaving a very valuable item in the rubble - a few good examples would be:

Final Fantasy VI -
Code:
In the "sealed cave" it was very easy to miss the ever valuable Atma Weapon and various other unique and valuable items since as soon as you reach the end, its not re-enterable.

Final Fantasy X-2 -
Code:
Aside from probably over 50% of the game being missable - my biggest gripe would be the crimson spheres, since a lot of them are easily totaly missable which is a real shame since there is a fair amount of story content behind the door.

Digital Devil Saga 2 -
Code:
This is the most recent game ive played where there is a "point of no return". This wasnt that much of a huge deal since most of the important things carry over with you when you enter the last dungeon, but I would have liked to go back and collect the rings I missed and have a chance to fight the optional seraphs after learning about them.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2006, 08:20:06 PM »

DQVIII Spoiler:

Code:
I missed two items in the last DQVIII dungeon - the one which becomes the monster. They might had been tiny medals. It pissed me.

Admin: If you're listing a spoiler that has nothing to do with the thread's game of choice (FFXII in this case), list the game you're spoiling above the code box.

Trespassers will be castrated.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2006, 10:57:32 PM »

Quote from: "Bogatyr"
Code:
I missed two items in the last DQVIII dungeon - the one which becomes the monster. They might had been tiny medals. It pissed me.

Code:

There's a few extra mini medals....one good thing about the DQ games :D
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »

Moving back to the original topic, someone just put a complete translation of all the essential story scenes up on GameFAQs.  Between that, a complete walkthrough of the game, and a translation of the license board, everything that a foreigner would need to stumble through the game is available.  And it only took about 2 weeks since the game was released... :)

Oh and I saw a copy of the game at the local computer/electronics store for the equivilent of around $65 US so I picked it up.  I've only played it for an hour (about to go into my first solo dungeon/monster area as Vaan), but I like what I've played so far.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2006, 01:43:49 AM »

Being an ass (and since John didn't seem to mind), I'm dragging this up from the abyss since the game's coming out in just 2 days, plus it was the first topic on this forum anyway, so it seems fitting.

Got it preordered with half of it paid off, and hope to make the midnight launch. I'm hoping to enjoy this alot, but honestly I think PSU will, much like PSO before it, eclipse everything else more or less for awhile.
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2006, 10:46:29 AM »

I only have one worry: How hard is it? If it's a cake walk like EVERY SINGLE Final Fantasy title before it, I'll be sad. I want it to be MegaTen hard, or harder. But haha, as if that would ever hapen.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2006, 11:25:39 AM »

I tried the import and played through it a couple of hours (read translations), and it is harder than the average RPG. Think of it like FFXI lite. A lot of grinding, get money off drops only, enemies can come in sheer numbers etc.. At least you get a group easily.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2006, 01:11:30 PM »

I'd say FFXII is one of the more challenging games in the series like TBD said. To describe it as FFXI lite is misleading though. Once you get into things like gambit, have a multiple boss encounter, or anything of the like, it becomes a lot more intense than FFXI ever was.

To be honest, the reason FF can never be as hard as a MegaTen game is because it's the standard. If you make it too hard, you alienate casual and younger players.
B'Jyna

saybapon
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »

When info started trickling out, I was very excited at a Non-Nomura/Kitase produced FF(I hate them so much!). However now that I know all the characters, most of the plot, and have seen so much info about it(including played the demo), I have to say that I am not excited at all.

The characters seem to be nothing special so far, and not sure how I feel about the MMORPG battle system. I am glad they changed it back to non-modern fantasy, but the game just seems dead.

I will probably get it when it is really cheap.

"some girls are bigger than others, and some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: