Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 07:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327456 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dawn of Mana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dawn of Mana  (Read 2158 times)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2007, 07:47:20 PM »

So the game is coming out next week along with Odin Sphere on the very same day. I've played it, beaten it and written a review that will be posted pretty soon.

I know many of you guys are looking forward to Odin Sphere, but what's everyones thought's on the latest Mana game coming soon. It's the fourth main installment in over a decade, and there is some talk.

Some of you may give it a whirl or too worried on the bad rep it's recieving? Share away!

*zips my thoughts for now* :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »

I haven't heard anything good about the gameplay...  a damn shame.  I was hoping to travel around a warld and do fun things.  This looks a bit too Kingdom Hearts-y for my taste.  Music and graphics are gorgeous though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:00:45 PM »

Fuck it. Maybe I'd actually really like it, but even without "AHHH IT'S NOT SOM WAHHH", it really just sounds like the kinda game that'd bore me to death. I'll just get Odin Sphere, that sounds like innovation I can give a crap about.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:47 PM »

The main complaints aren't from being divided up into levells or having a weird level-up system. From what I've heard, the camera sucks, and the physics are completely broken.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Persona2007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »

It was either Dawn of Mana or Odin Sphere, and Odin Sphere won the battle.  It's not so much of a money issue but a time issue.  I'd rather spend my time playing something that's really cooking with innovation instead of another Mana game.  I also figured Odin Sphere would become a bit more obscure at some point, and Dawn of Mana will go 19.99 in the future.

And they shall know no fear...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »

Quote from: "Persona2007"
I also figured Odin Sphere would become a bit more obscure at some point, and Dawn of Mana will go 9.99 in the future.

Fixed. Yeah, it looks like it'll be a game that's so ignored it doesn't stay at the 19.99 point for very long.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:40:56 AM »

Maybe this will get Square's attention for them to think, "Hey, all the Mana games we've been releasing suck. Maybe we should go back to the original formula. One that actually works."

"Oh, a hunter..."
Persona2007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 11:39:15 AM »

I've been a bit disenchanted with some of Square's older franchises lately.  The Mana/Final Fantasy series has become somewhat of a snorefest recently.  Final Fantasy XII ended up boring me to death and the new Mana title looks worse.

Square still hasn't lost all of their magic, however, VProfile2 and KH2 were both fun video games...and I'm still have a strange fascination with the SaGa series as well.

I'll pick up Dawn of Mana someday when it's cheaper, but who knows maybe someone here can play through it and convince me otherwise.

I'd like to be wrong about this one.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 03:25:18 PM »

Dawn of Mana received reviews just as terrible, if not worse, than Unlimited SaGa. It'll be down in price just as soon, if not earlier, as Unlimited SaGa. Try six monthes or less.

And those reviews were released before the game was. What made S-E think they were actually going to get $50 for it, as opposed to say $40 or less? I don't know about you, but most companies are releasing their games with a starting price of $40. S-E is kind of pompous like that, thinking they're going to get more for their games than other companies do, don't you think?
Persona2007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 11:10:12 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Dawn of Mana received reviews just as terrible, if not worse, than Unlimited SaGa. It'll be down in price just as soon, if not earlier, as Unlimited SaGa. Try six monthes or less.

And those reviews were released before the game was. What made S-E think they were actually going to get $50 for it, as opposed to say $40 or less? I don't know about you, but most companies are releasing their games with a starting price of $40. S-E is kind of pompous like that, thinking they're going to get more for their games than other companies do, don't you think?

/agree

When I went to the store and saw Odin Sphere 39.99 and Dawn of Mana 49.99 it was an easy decision.

I'm not hurting for money like I was in school, but I'd still rather use the $10 for something else game related if I can.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:23:56 AM »

"Hey, all the Mana games we've been releasing suck. Maybe we should go back to the original formula. One that actually works."

Yeah, I love classic SD games. Dodgy hit detection, sprite flicker, and bad AI for the win!

Well, SD3 lost the sprite flicker and improved on the AI, but it still had REALLY SLOW MENUES and a complete lack of a story after the half-way point when you're just rushing bosses. Non-dodgable magic attacks are also awesome.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:37 AM »

Square Enix needs to ask... was there anything wrong with the old Seiken games?  No?  mayeb we should take a page out of its book.

Ass.

A shame, I was looking forward to the game.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:30:11 PM »

was there anything wrong with the old Seiken games? No?

there were things wrong with them, for one thing, although things that could be fixed without radically changing the series' direction, but that's not the point. Sword of mana played VERY similarly to SD2, and from my understanding, random dungeons aside, Children was also supposed to have played really similarly to SD2. They're not radical departures. Why are they inferior?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Why are they inferior?

Great expectations?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: