Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 01:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338787 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Yuji Horii Roundtable Discussion - Game Informer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Yuji Horii Roundtable Discussion - Game Informer  (Read 1772 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:15:30 AM »

Link.

Now we have the official explanation behind the transition from the action system to the traditional one. Also seems implied that online play may still there, so that might've just been GAF jumping the gun.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »

The game has wireless co-op, not online.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »

uhhh ohhh...

Notice how every time the interviewer tries to steer the conversation away from multi-player, it always comes back to how great the multi-player is? This worries me. I have a bad feeling that S-E is counting on multi-player carrying the title... from what I've seen, that's never a good thing for RPGs.

I sorta wish the interviewer had come out and said, "yeah, well, many gamers really like to play alone... what do you have to offer them?" Because we might have gotten some sputtering and squirming. I'm concerned that the answer really is, "not much."

Also, don't you love that the interviewer basically said, "DQVIII was loved so well because it had great british voice acting and dialog," and Horii's response is basically along the lines of, "oh, yeah, well, we got rid of that."

Now I'm really kinda worried. I thought this kinda bullshit was what the DQ: Swords spinoff was for.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »

My memory may be decieving me, but I remember enjoying games such as Secret of Mana. And more recently, I played through Tales of Symphonia with some other people and I really enjoyed the experience, even though the multi-player option was added as an afterthought.

Yes, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles wasn't all that great, but it was not the multi-player gameplay that was broken. It was the bucket, the annoyingly large enviroments and the mist that always got in our way that ruined the game.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

And that fact that each extra controller for FF CC cost about $110.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »

Quote from: "jj984jj"
The game has wireless co-op, not online.

Someone completely missed what I said, that reporting that fact may've been jumping the gun. Quoting from the interview:

Horii: It doesnít change the quality of the Dragon Quest series at allóitís the same quality. The big difference is that with IX, we wanted to make it where you could play with your friends, so that you can connect to the net.

And the FF:CC argument's crap, Tycho actually just pointed out why again today on PA's front page.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"
Yes, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles wasn't all that great, but it was not the multi-player gameplay that was broken. It was the bucket, the annoyingly large enviroments and the mist that always got in our way that ruined the game.

Add to that the lack of story & characters, repeatitive gameplay, and forced repeats of previously completed dungeons, and you have what FF:CC was.

Now, on that note, there were some things I really liked about FFCC:
- The graphical style (similar to FF9 in some ways, which I really liked)
- The celtic embelishments (especially the narration, which was wonderful)

It's too bad... somewhere deep in there, there was a great concept, I think... but it just got lost in a sea of bad judgements and lack of focus. I'm confident that these next two games will be very good, I think that team has potential, they just needed a reality check.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »

And the FF:CC argument's crap, Tycho actually just pointed out why again today on PA's front page.

The required GBA never bothered me either. I own one for Gameboy games anyway. The cable? Small price to pay for the awesomeness that is Four Swords Adventures. The game (which came with one connectioncable), plus three extra cables cost us Ä80. Divided by 4, it really isn't a bad deal.

Well, I guess I could complain about needing friends with GBAs to play those games, but then again, why bother buying a multiplayer game if you have nobody to play it with?

Anyway, I'm all for RPG's with multi-player options. I enjoy playing games with my brother and friends.
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 06:04:24 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"
Well, I guess I could complain about needing friends with GBAs to play those games, but then again, why bother buying a multiplayer game if you have nobody to play it with?

Because not everyone who games owns a GBA? A game like CC would be a giant blast if you could play with anyone, but requiring everyone to own a GBA drastically reduced the pool of people you could play it with.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »

I just like my multiplayer RPGs to be setup so that other players can jump in and out at leasure. Currently, I'm playing Tales of the Abyss again with a friend. I finished it on my own not too long ago, but I'm enjoying coming in from time to time to help him out on his game. I hope that CC takes an approach closer to Tales in that regard... strong single player as well as multiplayer. My guess is that the Wii version will concentrate more on single player than the DS one, it just seems natural that way.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: