Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 10:21:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338671 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  HD-DVD re-cracked six days *before* it is patched
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HD-DVD re-cracked six days *before* it is patched  (Read 1287 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:46 AM »

HD-DVD re-cracked six days *before* it is patched

AACS, the anti-copying system behind HD-DVD, has been cracked again before its next update was released. HD-DVD was cracked some months ago after the "processing key" for the discs was uncovered by a poster on the Doom9 message-board. In response, the AACS Licensing Authority "revoked" that key, so that new HD-DVD titles would no longer play on older players until they were updated.
The first DVDs with the updated keys ship on May 22, but the new keys have already been compromised -- that means that HD-DVD has been broken again, even before it was actively patched.

The AACS key was the subject of an enormous amount of controversy earlier this month, when the AACS-LA sent legal threats to sites that had included they key in their reportage of the initial break (my class blog received a threat, too). Although the key initially appeared on just a few sites, in the wake of the controversy, more than 1.3 million pages have now published the number. More people know how to break HD-DVD than own HD-DVD players.

This raises the question: what will AACS-LA do now? Key revocation doesn't work. Suing the Internet doesn't work. DRM doesn't work (this DRM took years and cost millions, it was broken in days, for free, by hobbyists). Pirates who download movies don't ever see DRM. Honest customers who buy media are the only people who ever get restricted by it -- and it's clear that a lot of people aren't willing to pay money for movies that are less useful than the pirate versions they can get for free. Link

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »

As long as there are people with free time who use it in this manner, any sort of technological "locked gate" will be picked faster than they can finish tightening the deadbolt.

My dad was telling me that when the music industry took CD's as their medium for the future, some of the record companies actually advertised them as being totally independent of CDs that would be used for a computer. As if the two were of such radically different worlds that there was no way those "computer nerds" would ever care. He said that the folks at Lockheed really got a kick out of one of the magazine ads he brought in.

Heh, I so need to find that issue of Scientific American now. That page is begging for a scanning.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »

Well in my opinion, either they are just going to go on a massive lawsuit rampage, taking anyone and everyone they can...maybe go as far as the ISPs and whatnot, though I cant be sure they could get away with it legally, or they give up.

My opinion?  All the money your wasting trying to stop people from doing this stuff, is money that could be kept and used to compensate for those who DO steal stuff.  Stop trying to invent new tech that someone can easily break into, especially when it starts hampering paying customers.

Now, this is totally different for things like websites, servers, and computers, and they contain personal data, and other vastly more important things than a bloody movie, album, or video game.

And honestly, alot of the crap they make isn't worth buying in the first place.  I mean...yeah, im gonna go buy Gigli on HD DVD, mhhhm.  Hell I wont even pirate the damn movie if I could.

I mean, if they could come up with a security system that was at least difficult for anyone not of moderate skill in hacking, and that didn't restrict those who purchased it fair and square, I think they should be content.  For all the horrible evil pirates, there are, in my opinion, probably twice the number of people who buy the item.

But who knows what they will really do.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:44:12 AM »

Let's say you're working a shit job, you're living in a ghetto, and you've got one of those super-cheap Apex DVD players laying around. You want to go buy a movie. Are you going to spend $19.99 at the video store, or $5 from Jake on 3rd St.?

This isn't going to end.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 01:11:46 AM »

There's these places where you can pay 4 bucks or less and get a movie for a week to watch, without any legal issues. I think they have names like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 01:42:01 AM »

Assuming you have a credit card or an active bank account.

Cause, you know, they'll let some guy just walk in and take one for four dollars. And of course he'd much rather borrow a movie with his four-to-five bucks than own it.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 01:43:49 AM »

edit:
nevermind- i was wrong.

[/url]
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 01:47:01 AM »

I believe I referred to the super-cheap Apex DVD players. You know, the cheap Korean ones that came out at $29.99 when every other DVD player on the market was $100.

And of course, people in cities never buy from resellers, big lot stores, or some guy who stole a bunch of crap and is peddling it. Right? I mean they always go and buy it new at Fry's or Best Buy like anyone else with money.

Get real.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 01:51:54 AM »

Relax man, I agree. I just read your post wrong.

[/url]
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 01:55:58 AM »

Eh, it's just aggravating to hear the same argument that the movie industry spews out over and over. It's the argument the mainstream media presents in all favorable, meaningful light. Those damn pirates are ruining the world! Pay no attention to the fact that most of the people who actually PAY for pirated material (and therefore give reason for it to even exist) usually can't afford the real deal.

It seems like everyone would rather just point at people and say "That's illegal, you're bad" instead of wondering what causes it to get to that point.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 02:04:17 AM »

Point, but as I seem to recall there's other means to get a membership somewhere like Hollywood Video. Even if nothing works out, there's always just buying the used DVDs there or something, though I don't really know how much that's supposed to cost.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 04:12:13 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Point, but as I seem to recall there's other means to get a membership somewhere like Hollywood Video. Even if nothing works out, there's always just buying the used DVDs there or something, though I don't really know how much that's supposed to cost.

Blockbuster's got a going price of 4 for $20. Not too costly, but there are always people who want it cheaper and more immediate.

[/url]
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »

True, true.  Again, for me, I prefer to try before i buy, without having to pay for membership, especially since we only have one videostore here and its prices are rather...uncompromising.

If I like the movie enough, I will go buy it on ebay, brand new.  Since its cheaper, with shipping, to do so for the most part, especially since some you cant always find at walmart or shopko, the only stores that carry movies besides our used store thats kinda meh.

Plus, Ive found that "Pirated" discs usually dont have as good a quality, and I prefer quality over price for the most part.  Now, supposedly people can burn DVD's fairly well, though the two copies ive had, given to me by my roomate since he had extras, were alright, but definately had a little quality loss.

Maybe he was just shitty at doing it, but regardless, I prefer to support a movie if I find its worth it.  Some may not agree with all my choices, but thats cause everyone has different tastes.  

So meh, im not an advocate of piracy, but I understand why some do it, and the only thing I offer in most thread like this is what I mentioned above.

"If you find you really enjoyed it, then when you get the chance, buy the real copy, and let them know its worth it to continue with that idea/music/whatever."

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
True, true.  Again, for me, I prefer to try before i buy, without having to pay for membership, especially since we only have one videostore here and its prices are rather...uncompromising.

That's what trailers are for. Also reviews, but I tend to not give much of a damn for movie reviews.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: