Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 06:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330106 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Need Advice: Wii/PS2 TV... HELP!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need Advice: Wii/PS2 TV... HELP!  (Read 2328 times)
pchimmy

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »

Hi,

As we all know, current-gen systems can only output at a max 480p (Wii included).  On a large HDTV, this image doesn't look so good (Zelda: TP gives me a headache on a 50" HDTV).  So, I'm looking for the best TV possible for playing my current gen consoles.  This may sound simple, but I'm unable to find anything on the net that addresses this question.  The most important component is:  the largest screen size that maximizes image quality.  Does anyone have any advice?  Or can anyone point me to an online resource that addresses this question?

The categorizes of a TV that are of significance (in order of importance):

1.  Image quality
2.  Screen size (the larger the better)
3.  Widescreen
4.  Most inputs

Thanks so much for your help!

PS... I've been holding out on playing Zelda until I can find the right TV...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:20:31 PM »

I grew up with a 20" CRT as the largest thing I've ever had. I love them. I got myself a 19" HDTV LCD a few months back for my cabin (ie: my house) and it works great. But people born with a silver spoon in their mouth will never be able to appreciate them.

Spend your money on something more productive than a 50 TV... like maybe... I dunno... A CAR!!!!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:10:12 PM »

I don't know whether you're making the jump to next-gen or just want a nicer TV, but if it's the latter, how much DOES HD matter to you, and will you seriously be watching blu-rays and HD-DVDs and all? I'd just wait until you upgraded consoles if that's the case.

If it's the former though... Hmmm. Modern Samsungs and Sony TVs have Game Mode, that helps reduce the upscaling lag. A smaller picture would actually likely look better thanks to a more concentrated image, but I recommand you get something that's over 23 inches. The 23 inch Samsungs when I checked last at BestBuy looked like shit, but the next size up, the 26 inches, had great picture quality, and the Bravia I ultimately got is 26 inches. Also, the 23 inches lacked HDMI ports that the bigger units have. This can be pretty important for watching movies, and it's always good to clear up the component inputs anyway.

Something you should keep in mind is not the TV, but the game console. The PS3 upscales/smooths out now, and unless you already have one it's probably better to get a smaller TV, save some cash, and get a PS3 with it so you can have it upscaled/smoothed out. Obviously it won't look as good as proper HD games. Hell, you might not even notice a difference unless you've played a lot of that game prior on the TV. But I think it's made games like FFXII and SotC look a lot better, and SotC was already good looking thanks to 480p.

Also worth noting are CRT HDTVs. Those will natively (or close enough) do 480p, and most modern units will take a 720p signal and scale it to 1080i. Also, these are in widescreen (I don't think there's any proper HD set that ISN'T actually), and much cheaper than LCD/Plasma. However, they're large and heavy as hell, this REALLY won't be a problem as long as you have the space to move it, and you may just need a few people to help you as you move it in. But still, that can make that impractical for moving or if you don't have a lot of space in the first place, so if either of those is a concern, stick with flat panel stuff.

I can't comment on 1080p, and the single best place to look for TV info like this would be the AVS Forum. If there's anything else you want to know, like ideal 1080p screen size, or just to see pictures of the PS1/2 games on HDTVs then upscaled, check there. Other forums like Neogaf have people taking pictures then comparing un-upscaled to upscaled, so even if you won't get a PS3 that'll be useful.
pchimmy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 05:29:49 PM »

All of your responses are appreciated, but none of them have really answered my question...

I want to purchase a new tv EXCLUSIVELY for playing my current gen consoles (PS2, Gamecube, "Wii"... these all only output to 480p).  I'm not worried about HDTV content or anything else... my 50" Sony can handle all those in the future.  I only want a TV that will maximize my 480p gaming experiences.

I am aware of upscaling of PS2 games on the PS3.  I have a PS3 and the PS2 games don't look any different on my 50" Sony.

As for buying a car, it's a waste of money when you live in NYC.  =)

Thanks for all your help!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

Have you gone to the game settings in the PS3 XMB and changed them? If you have, do you have Shadow of the Colossus or God of War? Those and any other games that have progressive settings in the menu, rather than requiring buttons held on start up, are great games to test out how the upscaling works thanks to the reset to 480p when progressive is enabled.

However, for 480p only? There's plasmas and stuff that are just in that resolution, but I'm afraid most are too much to really be practical. You may want to seriously consider the CRTs afterall, or just spend a few hundred for a nicely sized SDTV. For every DQVIII and SotC that genuinely expands the field of vision, there's ten that will cut off a bit of the top and bottom to expand the sides... Or simply cut off the top and bottom, like the GTA3 engine games do. The Wii will probably be a bit better, but you're still probably not missing much, and the games like Red Steel and RE4 that're only either widescreen or letterboxed can just be played on that 50 inch TV.

But then is this supposed to be a secondary TV for a bedroom or whatever, or do you just want an optimal TV for the PS2/Wii?
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:09:13 AM »

My advice? Stop crying about it and finish Zelda, because buying a separate TV just for your last gen systems is an ungodly waste of money, just for a slightly better picture.

Donate to a charity, buy a small boat and navagate the oceans, buy a new suit and go for a promotion, hire a personal chef for a month, flaunt your money at all of your old high school friends by hiring a helicopter to drop you off at your next reunion, go on vacation, find a girlfriend and take her on that vacation, or bypass all of it and get yourself a fancy hooker.

Or most of all, send it to me, so I can buy a car/stop couchsurfing and find a home/go on vacation with girls.

Or you could just buy a lovely painting of mine, all of which are displayed in the imagination sanctuary, there's even one on Ebay (Check the Bazaar).
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 02:36:40 AM »

Smaller TVs work great for old consoles because if you're far away, you can't see how shitty the games look.

[/url]
pchimmy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »

Neither Shadow of the Colossus and God of War II look good on my 50" TV (even with upscaling and HDMI cables).  480p just doesn't look good on a huge TV.

I am a videogame collector and I am designing my ultimate videogame room.  That is why I need a TV EXCLUSIVELY for the systems that output up to 480p.  As such, this TV would be for playing PS2, GC, Wii (and other 480p systems) ONLY.

Basically, I wanted to find out how large of a TV I can go before I start seeing a decrease in picture quality...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »

I'd just keep it at probably 32 inches or 26. You can take systems into a place like BestBuy and test out the games quickly to see how they look on the TVs though, so you can see if you're satisfied with the look on any of them. However, it's entirely possibly you simply will not be pleased and that you're better off buying a standard 27 inch SDTV, and live without widescreen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: