Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334817 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PS3 Region Free, PSP to Play PSOne Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PS3 Region Free, PSP to Play PSOne Games  (Read 3441 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 23, 2006, 02:56:08 AM »

Wow.  Just Wow.

PS3 Region Free:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

PSP Plays PSOne Downloads:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/697/697642p1.html

Amazing.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:21:01 AM »

That development almost makes me consider rethinking my boycott of Sony.  I think it is a good move on their part to open the platform to games from other territories.  It would also give system owners one less reason to modify their systems.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:20:57 AM »

Wow, this is the best PS3-related news I've heard so far. Now I won't have to import a PS3 from the US, and will even be able to play some of those crazy Japan-only games. I just hope that it'll play PS2 games from any region too - the article didn't mention anything about that.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:54:23 AM »

That is the best Sony news I've heard in a long time. Nintendo should follow suit with this.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 07:12:12 AM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
I just hope that it'll play PS2 games from any region too - the article didn't mention anything about that.
I agree.  I really hope it does, because I've been dying to play ToD2 (PS2), ToR, NamcoXCapcom, and many more for a while.  I'd definitely pay over $500 for a PS3 if it has BC for all regions.
Cowboy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 11:00:39 AM »

Yeah this is just great news. I'm with ManaKnight. The thought of fin\ally being able to play ToD2 without haing to get a seperate system would be awsome. I would certainly get this this on launch if that were the case. Well maybe not certainly but seriously consider.

It's really very complicated, you wouldn't understand. You aren't even twelve are you!?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 11:09:01 AM »

You guys should buy a flip top (or mod tools if you have a slimline PS2). The things are easy to install, cheap, and enable ability to play imports.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »

This is cool news indeed. There's no way I'd have bothered buying an NTSC PS3 as well as a PAL like I did with the PS2. I still won't be getting the PS3 for a while, but at least when I do I'll be getting a bit more for my money.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:12:26 PM »

FUCK. YES.

Well all those people that jumped off the Sony ship just climbed back on.

Sony has just ensured their win in the console wars.

And as for the PSP thing.....WOO FUCKING HOOOOOOOOO.

I just hope the download library has a good selection so we can all play those games that 1) never came out here. and 2) that we missed out on and didnt want to fork over $150 for a game.

Vagrant Story on my PSP? UM....OKAY!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 02:17:27 PM »

I can't see the ability to play importers making the PS3 win anywhere except maybe the UK, presuming one has an NTSC TV, but I still find this to be an awesome move and if the backwards compatibility stretches to the PSX and PS2 games, /might/ tempt me to get a PS3 right off the bat. I'd love to check out games like Policenauts and Soul Hackers.

The PSP thing on th eother hand will be a great advantage against Nintendo. Dunno if they will, but the downloading thing is a great incentive to get one at any rate. Have to wonder how they'll handle the L2/R2 buttons though, and maybe the right stick and L3/R3.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »

Quote from: "Dade the Ass McLaren"

I just hope the download library has a good selection so we can all play those games that 1) never came out here. and 2) that we missed out on and didnt want to fork over $150 for a game.

Vagrant Story on my PSP? UM....OKAY!

The psx emulator will most assuredly be hacked ASAP.  As such I am sure Sony won't be too pricey to ensure that they don't lose out on that.
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 02:34:31 PM »

I still won't get one at launch, due to the shoddy hardware Sony is known for. I've had both a PSOne and PS2 die on me, and my current PS2 is starting to act up. That's too much cash spent on hardware for me. I'll probably get a PS3, but not until at least a year after launch.

-G1
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I can't see the ability to play importers making the PS3 win anywhere except maybe the UK, presuming one has an NTSC TV

Or Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and a shitload of other european countries where people can read english and want to play those RPGs (and other games) that aren't ever released in Europe. You do know that most countries over teach english from the third grade of primary school, right?

Also, most halfway modern european TV-sets are NTSC/PAL60 enabled, so the only thing really need to play NTSC games is a RGB cable.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 03:09:26 PM »

Whoops, point there. It would be a big boast for those countries too. :P
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »

Quote from: "GhaleonOne"
I still won't get one at launch, due to the shoddy hardware Sony is known for. I've had both a PSOne and PS2 die on me, and my current PS2 is starting to act up. That's too much cash spent on hardware for me. I'll probably get a PS3, but not until at least a year after launch.

I don't know. I've never had a problem with my PS2, and I have a launch model, however, I've had to replace the control deck for my Gamecube, so go figure.

I feel tempted to buy a PS3 at launch hearing this news. It's by no means a 'revolutionary' feature, but certainly attractive. But like yourself, I'm skeptical on the condition of launch models. I suppose I could just shoot for the extended warranty.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: