Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 05:55:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319009 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  This Anime Season quicky reviews
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: This Anime Season quicky reviews  (Read 2238 times)
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:20:28 PM »

Why not. LET'S REVIEWING

I take no responsibility for missing series if I thought they sucked.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan - ... well, we might as well start at the top. BEST SHOW OF THE SEASON BAR NONE. This is Gainax in full-on, burning shonen passion, rockstar god mode. Take FLCL's quirky-neat art style, add giant robots, the power of A MAN'S HEART, and pause a second to add every dramatic convention and cool pose you could ever think of. Includes robots that aren't meant to combine but do through the power of buddy trust, a sniper rifle that shoots electricity or piston-loaded arrows, a move called "KILLING ATTACK! IGNITION OF THE RIGHTEOUS MAN'S BURNING SOUL CANNONBALL ATTACK!!", sudden dramatic flowing capes, and more. Completely over the top, and fantastic fun.

Murder Princess - Also fun for basically the same reason. First episode: A fantasy kingdom is under attack from a scientist of the realm, backed by monsters and two lolicon robots that can throw rocket punches or morph their hands into weapons. Princess escapes, runs away, meets bounty hunter, pitches off cliff with her. Through the power of Deus Ex Machina, they swap souls. Princess entreats 'princess' to save kingdom, and off they go with a skeletal goblin and giant purple troll on their FLAMING GHOST RIDER BIKE which is also the goblin's scythe to kick ass and take names. Not one to try to make sense of - just enjoy it being ridiculous and over the top.

Hayate no Gotoku - Adorable and light-hearted comedy - with a whole ton of self-referential and/or 4th-wall-breaking humour - about a noble kid and her Combat Butler. What? No, really. While not laugh-a-second and with something of a moralistic air at times, it's still a fantastic watch and easily the best comedic series around right now. Very tongue-in-cheek. But don't tell anyone the tiger can talk.

Lucky Star - ... well, see, everyone's raving about this but I don't really get it, myself. I can see what it's trying to do; it's an attempt at modern-age Azumanga Daioh-style gentle humour in a school setting only the kids have more hair and more polar personalities. Trouble is there's too much talking and not enough actual gags - it's more a sort of bizarre meander through territory that should've had a scene cut about 10 minutes ago.

Obligatory Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou call-out because I loves it. It's like Persona in anime form. Or, alternatively, the Tokyo Majin game in anime form, I suppose.

El Cazador De La Bruja - Reasonably standard 'oh look, here's a mysterious kid with powers and her protector, let's go on their journey to see what they find out about themselves' style of anime, but notably a) it's in Mexico, b) the main character is acceptably trippy and amusing, c) no other anime uses quantum paradigms to try to explain the powers going on. Maxwell's Demon is an old one on me - until it got brought up in an anime of all places.

Claymore - I'm reasonably assured this is excellent. Unfortunately, I can't get past the animation style. Really weird style in places, but I have to admit that if you can get past that it's a breathtaking display of pastel. Not so sure about the plot, beyond 'Rei clone bounty hunter with big sword du nom' - it's a Shonen Jump series which very possibly means monster-of-the-week styling.

More to come, perhaps.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:54:38 PM »

The only anime I'm interested in is El Cazador De La Bruja, which is part of the girls with guns trilogy (Noir and Madlax are the other two.) I saw half of Noir and liked what I saw, and I enjoyed Madlax a lot.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »

Let's see.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan - Yeah, I like this. Was a bit wary at first - the art style and mecha designs made it look like a pure kid's show. But there's a surprising depth to the characters (well, Kamina in particular - who, by the way, is the best new character in YEARS), the animation is slick and the soundtrack is great. Can this be Gainax first good anime since FLCL?

Murder Princess - The first of two new Bee Train shows this season (though I believe Murder Princess is an OAV). I liked this more than El Cazador De La Bruja, which is just another Girls With Guns show. Murder Princess is at least a Girls With Swords Show, which I find infinitely more appealing.

Hayate no Gotoku - People seem to like this, but.. Meh. The self-referential humor really isn't doing anything for me. Don't think I'll follow this one.

Lucky Star - I will admit to only watching this because it's produced by Kyoto Animation. The first episode was a disappointment, but the subsequent two have both been improvements. And the Lucky Channel segment at the end of each episode alone is worth watching for.

Claymore - Not my thing, I think. I usually like anime by Madhouse, but something about this... just isn't clicking with me. And the main male character annoys me to no end.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:27:17 AM »

I've only seen the first three episodes of Darker than Black, but I've really liked what I've seen so far. Here, this is ripped right from the wiki entry.

"An inscrutable and abnormal territory, known as Hell's Gate, appeared and caused Tokyo to lose its original sky. In response to it, people who possessed special abilities appeared. However, the cost of gaining those abilities is that those people lack almost all human emotions. They are able to coldly murder other people and gained the fear of the populace, as well as the name Contractors. Intelligence agencies in countries around the world utilize their Contractors to uncover the secrets of Hell's Gate and engage in violent battles of intelligence information.

Hei is sent to Tokyo under the guise of an ordinary Chinese student, Li Shunsheng, but he is in reality a top-level Agent and Contractor from the Organization with the code BK201, "The Black God of Death". Hei fights against other Contractors with unpredictable abilities and encounters and parts with women with sorrowful pasts. He also becomes entangled with the Japanese National Police Agency on the phenomenon of Hell's Gate."

And it's got a decent soundtrack from Yoko Kanno, so the fight scenes have that jazzed up Bebop feel.

And Claymore made me feel kinda "bleh". Both of the characters really don't interest me at all. Clare was too powerful/too emotionless and the kid was too annoying/naive. So I'm not following it anymore.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »

So I guess Lucky Star doesn't live up to the sheer awesomeness of its opening?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEFUY7unks

That's pretty much what I've read on the intarwebnet a lot.

EDIT: And I too am interested in El Cazador De La Bruja since I loved Noir and want to check out more by those creators.  Girls with Guns trilogy FTW!

I approve of this nonsense!
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »

Lucky Star's mostly that very quiet, slow brand of humour that a fair number of Japanese shows have, where the absurdity and comedy is slow-paced and rooted in real situations: Azumanga Daioh, (to some extent) Cromartie High School, &c. Trouble is, it's just too slow.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »

Tokyo Maijin Gakuen Kenpuchou is fucking awesome. I looked into it after you likened it to Persona, and I'm quite pleased.

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:37:45 AM »

Tokyo Maijin Gakuen Kenpuchou is fucking awesome. I looked into it after you likened it to Persona, and I'm quite pleased.

I did too. I didn't really like the music very much, but the show shines off some really good vibes. I'm looking forward to seeing where this show is going.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Yuki.N

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 03:28:10 PM »

Hmm...a number of my friends have been urging me to watch Lucky Star because I like Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. But some reviews I've seen point out that while Lucky Star is comical, there's no real storyline to it, as opposed to Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu.

And I'm glad to see there are people who like Noir. It was my number one favorite anime when I first saw it, and I urged others to see it. Most of them were put off of it because it was 'boring'. And whenever I do mention Noir in other message boards, I get the "OMG Noir sucked" comments (then again that was probably because I posted on Gaia >_>).

My number one favorite anime, as of last year, is Gunslinger Girl. I found it to be somewhat bittersweet. The only thing that sometimes disturbs me is the thought that Henrietta and Jose's relationship might sometimes be hinted as more than a brother and sister relationship >_>
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: