Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 11:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337813 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: House  (Read 3168 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2007, 04:00:33 PM »

So, who watches this show? It's pretty awesome (which is weird considering it's on FOX), and House himself is a total jackass I can only aspire to one day be.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

People keep telling me to watch this show.  I've never seen so much as a commercial for it, but I've had more than one person say that the main character reminds them of me.  I'm not sure what to make of those fuckers now that I've seen Ashton's jackass statement. :P

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »

It's a little bit campy and some of the actors don't seem to match up to say, Hugh Laurie, but it's still alright. Fun to watch. I think I missed the season finale, not sure.

[/url]
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »

Shit! House is probably my favorite show.  I was pissed last night that the season finale wasn't on. Must be next week. I got into it probably midway through last season and I was hooked . Got 'em all on DVD

It's also pretty cool that he's very similar to Sherlock Holmes...he even has the same address:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:31:53 PM »

This is one of my favorite shows. I do not miss an episode.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »

"It's not what you think. I know it looks like we're cleaning dishes but actually, we're having sex."

I've only seen two or three episodes, but I love it.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »

I haven't seen much of it, but Hugh Laurie is a good actor. I liked him in Wooster and Jeeves.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
People keep telling me to watch this show.  I've never seen so much as a commercial for it, but I've had more than one person say that the main character reminds them of me.  I'm not sure what to make of those fuckers now that I've seen Ashton's jackass statement. :P

L
M
F
A
O

They're right.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 02:14:51 AM »

I'll be an elitist douchebag and be the first person to say I really don't like it all that much. I've only seen an episode or two, but House seems more like he's trying to be an ass.

I do like that it sorta combines CSI and Scrubs, but I'm more enthralled by the latter. But who knows, maybe I'll grow to like it now that Heroes is over for a while.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:33:54 AM »

He is trying to be an ass, there's no doubt about that. :P

I love this show to bits. They finished airing the second season in Malaysia earlier on in the year-- I'm anticipating the third!

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »

They're onto the third series in the UK. I only started watching this halfway through the second series, and I think it's good that there is at least one medical drama that actually focuses on the medical side (even though i don't understand any of it). I think this series had a bit too much of
Code:
House's drug addiction
, but at least now that's over with.

I think the best episode I've seen so far is the season two finale.
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »

Really...if you've seen one episode, you're pretty much seen 'em all.

The basic structure is as follows:
1. Strange and heretofore difficult to diagnose medical problem arises.
2. House and his crew diagnose said problem.
3. Initial diagnosis is, in fact, incorrect!
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 once or twice.
5. House finds the correct response and barely saves the patient.
6. House says smarmy and asshole-ish things and generally degrades everyone and everything around him.
7. Roll credits.

I know many shows are rather formulaic...but House is almost too blatandly obvious about it. Sure, the diseases will be different and affect different patients...but damn, each episode is virtually the same as the previous.
Most of the appeal must come from just how damn mean and spiteful House is...because they couldn't write a dynamic script that keeps you guessing to save their lives.

Maybe that's just me...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 05:43:22 PM »

I'd watch it, but I have a few issues with it:

1. The medical stuff is too rediculously unreal, and "bullshity" that even someone like me who knows nothing about medicine can see that. I mean, I saw one episode where this girl had a TUMOR that made her fatty tissue (ie: tits) burst into flames and burn her... I'm not shitting you. If it's supposed to be campy and unrealistic, then their doing a very bad job of making me think that they know it and are winking at me. Honestly it just feels likey they don't know what the hell their talking about, and really don't care. If you're going to blatently fly in the face of medicine/science, at least have a good reason for doing so.

2. Everyone besides Hugh Lauri is either a) boring b) an idiot or c) non-existent. Every time Hugh Lauri opens his mouth, it's a party in a can... but every time his trap shuts, the show sucks.

Hugh Laurie is amazing, but I'll always think of him as Berty Wooster.... "I say, there, Jeeves!"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 01:04:57 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I'd watch it, but I have a few issues with it:

1. The medical stuff is too rediculously unreal, and "bullshity" that even someone like me who knows nothing about medicine can see that. I mean, I saw one episode where this girl had a TUMOR that made her fatty tissue (ie: tits) burst into flames and burn her... I'm not shitting you.

I don't remember that one. Most of the stuff on the show has a basis in medical fact. Sure they make it more dramatic, or exaggerate a bit, but most of it contains at least a bit of truth.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"
I don't remember that one. Most of the stuff on the show has a basis in medical fact. Sure they make it more dramatic, or exaggerate a bit, but most of it contains at least a bit of truth.

So do tabloids and the testimonies of serial killers... doesn't mean we should believe them.

Come on, I think there is actually REAL science and medicine that is dramatic enough, I don't think we need to resort to psuedo-science/fantasy all the time to get our drama. If I'm watching a sci-fi show, great, but I'd like to see writers actually trying to back up their stuff on shows that are supposed to be non-fantastical... it just comes across as lazy and cheap.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: