Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:01:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319245 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest remakes more or less confirmed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest remakes more or less confirmed  (Read 5820 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »

IGN link.

I still kinda wish SE would lay off the rampant remaking, but at least in this case we could get a bunch of games we never got, or at least updated to be easier to digest (I hate going through menus to talk). For example, DQIV-VI on the DS? I'd gladly go for that. PSP works too, but DS seems more likely.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, it's still not too late for S-E to bring the PS2 version of DQ5 to the U.S.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:22:46 PM »

I actually expect that could be ported to the DS pretty well, and not look TOO bad. DQV wasn't the most impressive looking game anyway on the PS2, and the remake of that was developed by the same people that did FFIII's and are doing IV's.

However, I kinda expect they have their hands full with IV,a nd probably V and VI if this continues.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »

Remade versions of DQ4 and 6 would definitely get my money.  5 might as well (not my favorite in the series, but still decent).

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »

Hell, remake them all, especially DQ 1-3. On the one hand, Square being all remake gung-ho lately is disappointing, the other hand, I'll still play them, because they'll be fairly good games, anyhow.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 12:31:29 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
Hell, remake them all, especially DQ 1-3.

I don't see how ones we've received two times, and in Japan 3 or 4 (Cellphone releases) is a higher priority than the ones that either only got one remake or none at all (pretty much just VI there). A 1-3 compilation release with the SNES graphics would be a nice idea admittedly.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 12:47:06 AM »

The problem with doing more remakes of DQ1 & 2 is that they're such old games that they're scarcely playable these days.  About the only thing they have going for them is nostalgia and remaking them eliminates a lot of that.

A DS port of the Japanese only SNES remake of DQ3 would be nice.  Though there's an English GBC or GBA version of DQ3 that implements most if not all of the additions made in the SNES version, it'd be nice to have the nicer graphics and larger screen.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:50:45 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Miho"
Hell, remake them all, especially DQ 1-3.

I don't see how ones we've received two times, and in Japan 3 or 4 (Cellphone releases) is a higher priority than the ones that either only got one remake or none at all (pretty much just VI there). A 1-3 compilation release with the SNES graphics would be a nice idea admittedly.

You have a point. DQ games get repetitive. DQ4-6 would be a better trio of remakes, if Square is feeling ambitious enough.

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
The problem with doing more remakes of DQ1 & 2 is that they're such old games that they're scarcely playable these days. About the only thing they have going for them is nostalgia and remaking them eliminates a lot of that.

This is true as well. I guess I'm getting caught up in the whole "lets remake all the classics!" craze. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 02:00:30 AM »

Eh. SOme minor things done that don't fundamentally change the games can go a long way in making them easier to swallow. IV's a far better game than 1 or 2, but I can more easily play those on the Gameboy than IV on the NES because it doesn't force me to go through a menu just to talk and crap. I think there's some other minor touches that make it easier to swallow as well, and I think FFIII had similar applied to it with the DS release.

Ugh at calling them "Square" when it's the Enix stuff we're talking about, but that's just the elitist prick in me. :P
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »

Ugh. Lame.

I used to try and defend Squeenix when people were bashing them around the time that FFX came out.....now I say - Have at them!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 03:08:25 AM »

Even when we might get games we never got before?
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »

Ugh at calling them "Square" when it's the Enix stuff we're talking about, but that's just the elitist prick in me. :P

Heh, I know. I was going to type Square Enix, like I normally do, but I've been lazy lately.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 01:04:59 PM »

Even when we might get games we never got before?

That scenario seems to be getting less and less likely every day.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 05:37:41 PM »

The backlash against remakes is confusing to me. I don't see how or why this could be perceived as bad. At worst, we get DQ remakes with superior graphics than the original. At best, we get DQ remakes with superior graphics, overall better production value, maybe new scenarios, etc.

What? Are you afraid the remakes will somehow be less user friendly than the originals? Unfathomable. If you've played the originals, then don't buy the remakes if you don't want to. But for people like me, who haven't played through all of the older DQs already, these remakes are good news. Basically we get upgraded versions of a bunch of RPGs that are considered classics. It's not like Square Enix are going to stop producing other games just so they can make these. It seems pretty much win-win to me.

Same goes for remakes of any game, IMO, as long as they have the original creators' approval (which is the case here, as it is being published by SE) and they don't suck (which hopefully won't be the case here).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 05:44:42 PM »

Quote from: "SonicDeathMonkey"
The backlash against remakes is confusing to me. I don't see how or why this could be perceived as bad. At worst, we get DQ remakes with superior graphics than the original. At best, we get DQ remakes with superior graphics, overall better production value, maybe new scenarios, etc.

Lard's an extreme example, most everyone else, at worst, finds it worrisome. Personally, I do think it's getting to the point with SE that, yes, we're really going to be getting remakes at the exclusion of anything new. But they're probably just rushing this out like they have thanks to the 20th anniversary of FF, so I'm hoping we see fewer of these and the endless spinoffs in a year or two.

Lard: I don't see why it's improbable. We never got RSG before, but we got it's remake one and half to two years ago, and we finally got FFIII thanks to being remade. Heck, they could keep this up and keep giving us an old game we never got before once a year... Though I think we would've seen the DQ remakes by now if that was the case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: