Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327785 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest remakes more or less confirmed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest remakes more or less confirmed  (Read 5886 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Lard's an extreme example, most everyone else, at worst, finds it worrisome.

No, I'm a sensible one.

Personally, I do think it's getting to the point with SE that, yes, we're really going to be getting remakes at the exclusion of anything new. But they're probably just rushing this out like they have thanks to the 20th anniversary of FF, so I'm hoping we see fewer of these and the endless spinoffs in a year or two.

Problem is, I don't think that's going to happen. I get the feeling that Squeenix is, at this point, content to rest on their laurels, just the same as Nintendo has been doing for the last few years.

Lard: I don't see why it's improbable. We never got RSG before, but we got it's remake one and half to two years ago, and we finally got FFIII thanks to being remade. Heck, they could keep this up and keep giving us an old game we never got before once a year... Though I think we would've seen the DQ remakes by now if that was the case.

RSG? I'm confused - Romancing Saga....something?

There's a *huge* difference between releasing games like Final Fantasy 3 and the first Star Ocean, which never saw an official English release and remakes of Final Fantasy 4, Resident Evil and Wild Arms, all of which have been released in English before - and in the case of Final Fantasy 4, *three times* before this new remake.

Would I be happy with remakes of games that hadn't been released in North America before? Moderately - because it's still taking away from new ideas. I am happy that I get to play Star Ocean 1 - but the Star Ocean 2 remake is fucking pointless at this stage.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
No, I'm a sensible one.

People tend to think they are, yes. Whether they really are or not is something else altogether though!

And what's with this 'useless' talk? They're video games, you could cut this down until only simulations for work/military and Brain Age matter, and possibly a few other exceptions for cheering up kids while they're in a hospital or whatever. I'd also counter that SO2's hard to find and is pricey, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all like it was for VP. If they redub it though, you could say that alone makes it a must have. THAT'S ABOUT FIFTY POINTS! Also, yes, I did mean Romancing SaGa there.

... I am a bit pessimistic about SE though. Even if they cut down on the remake/port spree (I think once they handle the FFs and DQs, they'll be out of stuff they really want to drag back up), they want to stick to established stuff that IS guaranteed money it seems. The plan for FFXIII is a good example of this, where they want to make this next installment into a franchise within a franchise. It's not even a side game series like FFT or FF:CC, it's a sequel that's a series in and of itself, what the hell? I'll be a sucker and get FFXIII, but I don't think I want to rush to get any more unless it's genuinely fantastic.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »

I would like to see Squeenix take some risks and revive old franchises that haven't been used in a long time, like Chrono, and not on a cellphone! I'll applaud Squeenix for making Parasite Eve 3, but they got the platform all wrong. I understand that their less-than-popular franchises Chrono, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, and etc are no FF and DQ, but since they can stay afloat in profit with all these FF and DQ games, they wouldn't necessarily be in the red if they made sequels to the former. (excluding PE3 obviously) Man, most of all, I want that fabled Chrono Brake to be a reality. ;(
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 11:34:08 PM »

No, I'm a sensible one.

Yeah, getting a hernia over video games sure is sensible.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 06:45:01 AM »

No, I'm a sensible one.

People tend to think they are, yes. Whether they really are or not is something else altogether though!

And what's with this 'useless' talk? They're video games, you could cut this down until only simulations for work/military and Brain Age matter, and possibly a few other exceptions for cheering up kids while they're in a hospital or whatever. I'd also counter that SO2's hard to find and is pricey, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all like it was for VP. If they redub it though, you could say that alone makes it a must have. THAT'S ABOUT FIFTY POINTS! Also, yes, I did mean Romancing SaGa there.

Well - I didn't say useless - I said pointess. And I stand by that. Why is it pointless? The game's been done. Finished. Completed.

The problem is that Square is focusing more on remakes and nostalgia and trotting out old glories than they are about focusing on developing new games.

Even a new sequel would be better than another fucking Final Fantasy port/remake at this stage.

But Parasite Eve 3 on a cell phone?  That's just a kick in the balls to fans.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 08:12:02 AM »

All video games are pointless. They only thing they're good for is to amuse or entertain. They don't advance society, they don't make us more intelligent or teach useful skills we need in order to succeed in life, they don't have stories comparable to even most modern literature, they don't require us to think deep thoughts. They're just time wasters intended to con us out of our money for a few hours of mindless entertainment.

So basically, you're being angry that they are making a pointless entry of a pointless medium. You might as well be angry that they keep teaching you biology-related courses in medical school.

Seems sort of silly, don't you think?

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2007, 09:22:28 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
All video games are pointless. They only thing they're good for is to amuse or entertain. They don't advance society, they don't make us more intelligent or teach useful skills

Actually, fighting games will teach you better hand/eye coordination and better reflexes.

But, yeah, videogames are just for our entertainment. There's nothing wrong with that.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »

So basically, you're being angry that they are making a pointless entry of a pointless medium. You might as well be angry that they keep teaching you biology-related courses in medical school.

Seems sort of silly, don't you think?

I can see where you're coming from...but I tend to think of RPGs like books. An RPG with a good story is like a book with a good story. I can appreciate it - but it's not one I necessarily want to experience/read again right away.

Once I'm finished a series, or a book. I prefer to move onto new ones. Not read/play the same ones over and over again.

Something that's new is never pointless. That's the difference between a new game and a remake.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 02:17:49 PM »

Then don't buy the remakes, buy the new entries. Regardless of the number of remakes, there are still tons of new games to play, enough that it'll give you such a huge backlog that you won't even need to once consider a remake.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 09:48:44 PM »

If they remade DQVI, my life may very well be complete. It's my favorite game in the series, and to play it in non-emulated form would be terrific.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 12:08:04 AM »

Then don't buy the remakes, buy the new entries. Regardless of the number of remakes, there are still tons of new games to play, enough that it'll give you such a huge backlog that you won't even need to once consider a remake.

That's my whole point. If it were at least 50/50, I probably wouldn't be complaining as much - but the ratio of remakes to the ratio of new games coming out from Squeenix is something like.....80/20 righ tnow.

It's ridiculous.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 12:28:56 AM »

Nah, it really seems like 50/50, you can name a new game for about every port/remake, and not even the reverse necessarily - FFT and FFTA2 come to mind. It's just clouded up because of how many damn sequels/spin offs they're putting out. It's A Wonderful World and Last Remnant will be alone with Radiata Stories and Drakengard as the only completely new, US released games post merger... Both of them from the Enix side actually, since RS is tri-Ace and Drakengard was released well before the merger in Japan. You might be able to count FMA, but fuck, that's just an anime/manga tie-in game (not sure if you can call it licensed being that SE owns the manga company behind it).
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 08:26:56 AM »

The problem is that Square is focusing more on remakes and nostalgia and trotting out old glories than they are about focusing on developing new games.

How much resource consumption do you think a port takes?  Even for remakes requiring a new engine and new graphics and audio content, there's still a large chunk of stuff that's already done.  It's also pretty much guaranteed money when it's released.

The surefire money-makers are what allows established companies to take risks on more obscure titles.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »

I don't buy that.

During the PS1 era we were getting sure fire *new* games as well as risks and it seemed like they were churning out a new game every six months or so. And 80-90% of them were good!

Now, we're lucky if we get 3 new games per gen .... and happy if one of them doesn't have the name Final Fantasy on it.

The amount of port and remakes has gone up *significantly* - and needlessly.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 05:02:51 PM »

Even though I am excited about this announcement, I do somewhat agree with Lard that the remakes are getting a bit out of hand. I mean, TWO FF4 remakes within two years? Ridiculous.

I am for remaking a game under certain conditions:

1. If the game was never released in the U.S.,

2. The game is not playable on current or previous-gen hardware (i.e. SNES games, N64 games, Genesis games, etc.), and/or

3. The game has become rare enough that one would have to sell one's home, car, and left testicle in order to purchase it.

The Dragon Quest games (or at least IV and the SNES ones) meet pretty much all of these requirements. FFI and II on the PSP, on the other hand, is EVIL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: