Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335235 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  GamePro: 11 Worst Video Game Trends
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: GamePro: 11 Worst Video Game Trends  (Read 6434 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »

It's better than the influential list, I swear.

I might switch one or two... But really, they're just about tied to me. :P
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:32:43 PM »

Amusing worst 11 overall. I strongly agree about the strong overdose of all these soldiers and whatnot. Then again, anime esque characters are guilty too, but I like those. To each his own in that matter.Bit surprising on #7, but that is partly why the Wii is there. Simple and to the point.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:48:58 AM »

I don't completely agree about licensed soundtracks. I quite like the Wipeout series soundtracks, and Need for Speed High Stakes on PS1 has one of the best licensed soundtracks ever.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Persona2007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »

I could probably stand to list a few more, but for the most part they are annoying trends in gaming.  Most notably, the themes that are slammed so hard into the market that trash gets put on the shelves.  One of the reasons I originally became an RPGFan XD is due to this reason.

RPGs can fall into their own cliches, and the games that truly shine are the ones with the most memorable stories, characters, or innovative systems for battle.

One game that comes to mind is Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, I'll never forget how much fun I had playing that video game.

And they shall know no fear...
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »

Well we might have more original games if originality was a valuable commodity, unfortunately when games deviate from the same old cliches and overused fomulas they dont sell well at all.

I think until games are taken more seriously as a form of entertainment, we're going to get the same crap fed to us over and over again. Because every 10 year old wants to play Dogz instead of Nintendogs because it has a Z at the end. Because face it, the majority of people who play games are idiots when it comes to picking games.

I really don't think most people want originality in their games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 05:31:11 PM »

I'm all for the top 3.

I understand the complaitn about the perfect woman...but, uh, what would be the alternative???

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 06:19:06 PM »

Quote from: "Murdoc"
I really don't think most people want originality in their games.

To be successful in any medium something has to be 1 part new, 4 parts familiar. People don't want to feel confused and alienated when they play a game. But obviously they want something new, or we'd still be playing the same game we played ten years ago, and we aren't, games are very different.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »

or we'd still be playing the same game we played ten years ago,

I think we are in some cases. Lots of games are just graphical updates, or very minute game play changes or additions.

Nice list, a lot of those listed are some of the reasons gaming will remain a toy, and not develop into a more mature artistic interactive medium. Obviously there's room for the simple stuff we've had for a long time, but I think the creativity in games has stagnated somewhat, partially due to this.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 12:59:31 AM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
or we'd still be playing the same game we played ten years ago,

I think we are in some cases. Lots of games are just graphical updates, or very minute game play changes or additions.

I suspected someone was going to say this. Give me some evidence to support your claim. I'm ready argue my point.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

Nice list, a lot of those listed are some of the reasons gaming will remain a toy, and not develop into a more mature artistic interactive medium.

That could be argued more for console gaming, but not for PC gaming.  PC gaming has always been ahead of consoles in terms of "mature artistic interactive medium" but even now, console games are starting to grow up with their constituents.  After all, the kids who grew up with 8-bit Nintendo are in their 20s and 30s now.  

In any case, I agree with the #1 on the list.  Developers need to stop churning out WW2 games.  That dead horse has been beaten, sewn back up, beaten again, sewn back up, beaten again ad nauseum.

I disagree with the "perfect woman" thing, though.  What's wrong with having attractive game characters?  Males in modern video games tend to be well-muscled and attractive too (i.e. Dante in the Devil May Cry games.)  I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather play a video game as a Carmen Electra lookalike than a Janet Reno one.  And I'd also rather play a video game as a badassed looking guy like Dante than some fat, bald, overweight slob who looks like a skeevy landlord.  I'm with Dice on this one.  If you ditch that "perfect man/woman" thing in gaming, then what's the alternative?

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather play a video game as a Carmen Electra lookalike than a Janet Reno one.

Why does it have to be either/or though? There's more to the spectrum of looks than just very attractive and hideously ugly. Take the protagonists in Silent Hill games for example, they're pretty average looking people, and in my opinion helps draw you into the situation more, or perhaps makes it easier to suspend disbelief.

When you only portray idealized versions of people in an artistic medium, it really stifles a lot of creative growth. Take movies for example. Back in the early hollywood days(and even many cases today) it was all the supposed attractive people playing roles, even if they didn't really fit the character to be that attractive. A recent movie I've seen was The Queen, and while Helen Miren isn't unnatractive, she isn't gorgeous either. But she really fit the role of the queen because she brought a plain elegance to the look, and the role. Imagine the Queen starring Carmen Electra, not only would it look absurd, but probably be poorly acted as well. Now, if gaming can't reach this level of creative or thoughtful 'casting' decisions, it will indefinately be mired in the realm of teenage and early adult fantasy. Which while enjoyable sometimes, will ultimately remain in the younger demographic. For the most part, this is why I don't really play games much anymore, because I just don't get out of them much besides a few minutes fun. That's fine, but it would be nice to see an interactive medium that could hold my attention, or maintain interest for a greater length. Or at least be as memorable as a good book, or classic movie.

Give me some evidence to support your claim.

Well, fps games for example. At least to me most of them are indistinguishable from each other besides obvious setting differences, and to me they don't really seem all that different to ones we had ten years ago, besides as I mentioned graphical update. I think asking me for evidence is a little silly though, this is just my opinion and I won't say it's empirical in anyway, so it can't really be quantified as evidence.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather play a video game as a Carmen Electra lookalike than a Janet Reno one.

Why does it have to be either/or though? There's more to the spectrum of looks than just very attractive and hideously ugly. Take the protagonists in Silent Hill games for example, they're pretty average looking people, and in my opinion helps draw you into the situation more, or perhaps makes it easier to suspend disbelief.

I never said it had to.  I was just giving a very cut and dry example.  A "lesser of two evils" example I guess.

Heh, I could've used Pam Anderson in my example instead of Carmen Electra, but I always found Pam absolutely hideous while most guys creamed their pants over her.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

I disagree with the "perfect woman" thing, though.  What's wrong with having attractive game characters?  Males in modern video games tend to be well-muscled and attractive too (i.e. Dante in the Devil May Cry games.)  I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather play a video game as a Carmen Electra lookalike than a Janet Reno one.  And I'd also rather play a video game as a badassed looking guy like Dante than some fat, bald, overweight slob who looks like a skeevy landlord.  I'm with Dice on this one.  If you ditch that "perfect man/woman" thing in gaming, then what's the alternative?

100%

I mean, if you're going to create a character from scratch, why would you go out of your way to make them ugly? And it's not like making them less attractive is somehow going to make the game more believable: video games generally involve extraordinary people doing extraordinary things, so why should they look ordinary?

Overall not a bad list but that particular entry blows.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 08:19:06 PM »

Give me some evidence to support your claim.

Well, fps games for example. At least to me most of them are indistinguishable from each other besides obvious setting differences, and to me they don't really seem all that different to ones we had ten years ago, besides as I mentioned graphical update. I think asking me for evidence is a little silly though, this is just my opinion and I won't say it's empirical in anyway, so it can't really be quantified as evidence.

I think FPS games have changed a lot. The current trend seems to be toward slower paced "tactical" FPS games with an emphasis on use of cover and the environment. Whereas, the trend from 10 years ago would be faster paced, more enemies on screen, but with less nuance to level design. Approach to AI has drastically changed in the last ten years, as has overall structure (it's much less level-based now). Cooperative modes have recently been getting a ton of emphasis and AI teammates are now the norm. Maybe that doesn't seem like much to people who aren't genre afficianados, but to me, the difference but FPS gams now and ten years ago is stellar.

And that's not the only genre, all of them are different. That's my two cents.

Quote from: "SonicDeathMonkey"
I mean, if you're going to create a character from scratch, why would you go out of your way to make them ugly? And it's not like making them less attractive is somehow going to make the game more believable: video games generally involve extraordinary people doing extraordinary things, so why should they look ordinary?

Overall not a bad list but that particular entry blows.

Sometimes, ugly people are much more interesting. It's not an issue of believability as much as that I just get bored seeing model-look-alikes as the main characters of games. Not that beautiful people can't be in games, but they can't be in every game. Give me some damn variety.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »

I think asking me for evidence is a little silly though, this is just my opinion and I won't say it's empirical in anyway, so it can't really be quantified as evidence.

Sounds to me that you just look at them but don't actually play them. They've changed a good bit, arguably in some ways more than stuff like RPGs have as of late. And this is not one of those things that's purely opinion, you can deconstruct those games, and come to a clear cut conclusion that a significant amount has changed, as Willy pointed out.

And yeah, screw saying that they shouldn't go out of their way to make ugly characters. To me, Yangus was one of the best and most refreshing characters in an RPG in forever, and he was an ugly fat fuck with what is almost the stupidest head gear ever. If it weren't for Grandia Xtreme's lead wearing a belt on his head, it WOULD be the stupidest, but at least that spiky shell thing could feasibly be good protection. Besides, I'm pretty tired of these Sephiroth-type pretty boy antagonists. The other half though isn't just being good looking, it's the perfect personality and whatnot, that's worse than simply making everyone pretty.

But hey, the complaints about that choice show why it's the lowest of them all I'd think. :P

Edit: Also looking at that list again... They're right with the Microtransactions. God dammit, it's one thing to have those added to $50 games, or for $60 games to have only major stuff like Oblivion's expansions, but now it's paying $10 more, THEN paying $2 so your horse can have fancy armor. Fuck this, either give more of the content for free and save the stuff you pay for for the major, game changing stuff, or drop the damned price of your games. Microsoft's simultaneously one of the better companies and one of the worst this generation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: