Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 08:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332948 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  The Beatles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 4748 times)
Rush

curtis_harding@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:23:38 PM »

I'm sure you've all heard of them. Everyone basically has an opinion on them if you like them or not.

I strongly believe that The Beatles were one of the best bands out there in terms of Classic rock music. Not to mention all 4 Beatles went ahead and made decent solo careers for themselves after they broke up in 70'. Add you opinions if you wish...
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:01:49 PM »

I dislike them quite a bit.  They've always been a bit tame for my tastes, particularly compared to their peers.  Peace and love is well and good, but give me the Rolling Stones or The Who any day of the week.

If I ever hear "Hey Jude" or "Come Together" again in my life, it'll be too soon.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »

The Beatles... they were a big influence on this indie rock band I used to be in.  Although the Beatles' music could be hit or miss for my tastes, especially depending on the era as they evolved a lot over the years, they've earned their place in music history.  There has never been a band like the Beatles and there never will be.  

If you were to ask me who I think the mightiest band of all time is, I'd say Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden.  Most would say The Beatles.  Although I listen to a lot of jazz, R&B, showtunes, and all kinds of other music, when it comes to rock, I prefer heavier rock.    

Personally, I thought the solo material after the break up mostly sucked.  The magic was with the 4 of them.  And I think Sir Paul has become a total douchebag these days in his old age.  His solo stuff makes me want to barf.  

I have to be in a particular mood to listen to the Beatles.  I can't just listen to them on a whim like I can with Zeppelin or Maiden.

"Eleanor Rigby" is still my all time favorite Beatles song.  And Sgt. Pepper is easily my favorite Beatles album.  Other Beatles albums I can't always listen to on a whim or in their entirety, but Sgt. Pepper is one that I can listen to and enjoy every time.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:41:08 PM »

I will never, ever understand why they achieved both mainstream success and critical acclaim then, nor why they continue to receive those things now.

Honestly, I just don't get it. I'm fairly certain I've heard at least 50% of their released repertoire (thanks to friends and family that just *had* to make me listen to the albums), and I was never like "oh yeah this is great!"

Nor do I see how they "apparently" influenced music for a generation. If they did, then how am I able to like so many other musicians from each decade, but not find them (the Beatles) something of great appeal?

Maybe I just can't stand that distinctly British vocal tone...

Ramza

PS - Anyone ever dig into theories about the CIA trying to assassinate Lennon? I love conspiracy theories.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:50:03 PM »

They're one of the few bands that actually got better as they progressed.

Going from stuff like Twist and Shout - which is crap, to stuff like Abbey Road - which is one of my favourite albums of all time.

If you haven't heard it, give it a listen. Great album.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 01:44:47 AM »

The Beatles are awesome. Revolver was definitely their best album in my opinion. So many great songs.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:03:27 AM »

The Beatles have become one of my favourite bands in the last 6 months or so. All the albums after (and including) Rubber Soul are awesome, aside from perhaps Let It Be.

I think their best is Abbey Road. It just sounds like The Beatles at the height of their powers, writing longer and more satisfying songs. And the second side of the album, the medley, is absolutely spectacular. The fact that it was the last album they recorded (despite it being released second-last) just shows that they could have carried on and still been amazing.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 07:01:17 AM »

I don't love them, I don't hate them. They were always just...there.  I have some friends who just love them but I don't really see what the big deal is. I mean, sure, they have some good stuff but it never really blew me away.  It's the same thing with the Stones, people worship them for some reason that I don't see. Give me The Doors any day. Jim Morrison was a fucking genious in my book. I guess Beatles fans would say the same about Lennon.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »

With the exception of a few early songs, their early stuff is garbage. From Revolver, which is their best IMO, on, their stuff is really good. However, barring a select few John Lennon songs, all their solo stuff is atrocious.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »

All Things Must Pass wasn't bad.
Rush

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:35:03 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
The Beatles... they were a big influence on this indie rock band I used to be in.  Although the Beatles' music could be hit or miss for my tastes, especially depending on the era as they evolved a lot over the years, they've earned their place in music history.  There has never been a band like the Beatles and there never will be.  

I have also had them influence my music with my current band. People always ask why were they so famous. I think they wrote great music but the main reason in my mind is that in the 40's and 50's all that was on the scene band wise was Slow music not many upbeat songs... The Beatles introduced a whole new kind of music to listen to. They started pop music basically along with Elvis and the Stones. Like them or not, you will see most bands in this day still have them as influences. I'm a musician myself, and I see many similarities instrumental wise in bands today compared back to the Beatles.

I don't think their solo careers were that bad. How could you not love Great Lennon songs like Imagine and Mind games. McCartney songs like Maybe I'm amazed, Live and let die. Classics.

But I suppose I'm only one person. It's only my opinion.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 09:56:23 PM »

Recall I said that I thought the solo stuff MOSTLY sucked, meaning there were some gems in there (i.e. "Imagine.")  But by the by, yeah, I thought with the solo stuff, the bad outweighed the good.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Rush

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 10:02:46 PM »

Yeah. I have to agree with you when you say the magic happend as the Fab 4 rather then the Wings and John and Yoko... George's music i found pretty impressive when he started the super-band "The Traveling Wilburys" in the late 70's... But how can you not make great music when you're with Jeff Lynne(ELO), Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and Bob Dylan...
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »

Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, White Album, Rubber Soul and Revolver.

If you hear anything else by any of the four men in the band you're in for a letdown.*

*-Except for "Instant Karma" and "Live & Let Die".

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 12:43:57 AM »

Let It Be was a really great album, I have no idea why it's getting so much hate and neglect in this thread. "I've Got A Feeling," "Let It Be," and "Get Back" are some of The Beatles' best songs IMO.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: