Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331816 Posts in 13586 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden General topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden General topic  (Read 14896 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 12:10:06 AM »

in my opinion suikoden is pretty medicore. i've only played 3,4,and 5 and out of those i only finished suikoden 4 and it was the one i enjoyed most. 3 and 5 lost my interest before the end but 3 kept my interest longer. however i get the feeling i would of enjoyed suikoden 5 more had i played 1 and 2. another thing about suikoden 5. its not that the graphics are bad but when the same company puts out stuff like metal gear solid and zone of enders is kinda disapointing.

just for reference:

i lost interest in suikoden 3 when
Code:
the three characters meet up to fight a red dragon or somethin

i lost interest in suikoden 5 when
Code:
lyon get injured and you have to unlock the full power of the dawn rune

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 02:38:01 AM »

For the record, I have enjoyed all six Suikoden installments. I say six, because I'm including Suikoden Tactics here. I'm not including the Suiko Gaidens, although it would've been nice to fill the gaps between II & III. Never mind... If the PSP Suikoden I & II compilation ever makes its way across the Pacific, there may be some hope of seeing an English-language version of the two gaidens. In the meantime, we'll just have to make do with SuikoSource's translations.

I haven't finished V or Tactics yet. Tactics got sidelined by Disgaea and yet another playthrough of Shining Force III and I got serious s-RPG burn-out after that! got to about chapter 14 or so. I got Suiko V a week before I got Kingdom Hearts II and found KH to be much more -pick-up-and-playable than SuikV. I think I'll restart V. I know I missed a lot of characters, so it's probably best to cut my losses and start again... I'm planning on going back to both as soon as I get through Dragon Quest VIII and FF XII.

Order of preference?

1) Suikoden II
2) Suikoden
3)Suikoden III
4)Suikoden V
5)Suikoden Tactics
6)Suikoden IV

Bearing in mind that I haven't finished V yet, and I've found that Suikodens tend to get really good when the plot twists start kicking in!

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 02:42:52 AM »

Can I get some end game log time estimates for Suikoden IV, V, and Tactics, e.g., a rough estimate of how long it should take to complete them?

I've these three on my shelves right now; played Suikoden III, didn't really keep my interest after an hour, but I still would've preferred to finish it, except it has since then become rare.

The Suikoden series has never struck me as games that you play, so much as it is for the plot and music; the "Auto Battle" function pretty much negates the purpose of even having battles.

I actually like Suikoden IV for the turn-based strategy ship battles, and the duel scenes; anything similar is pretty unique to RPGs. They do a pretty good job of fitting you into the main character's role, convincing you that you're actually a soldier.

Suikoden V seems like it'll have a rivetting plot, if only for the one hour I tested it out. In this game, they do a pretty good job of fitting you into a role of royalty! And the political intrigue is some of the best in the genre.

Tactics seems like a pretty bare-bones strategy RPG. Lord knows I've already had my share of console SRPGs, but I'll still end up playing it, since I'm thinning out my backlog, and it's going to be awhile before anything else I'm actually interested becomes released, on current or next gen consoles.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 02:47:43 AM »

Getting every character:

S3 takes about 35 to 40 hours, possibly less if you use a guide.

S4 takes 25 to 30 hours.

ST takes about 50 if you do all the quests. I played that game for a shitlong time though.

S5 takes around 70 to 80 hours because they upped the difficulty for character recruitment.

And just for the record, the Suikodegaiden games SUCK. I have them in my collection but they SUCK.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 02:48:37 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
in my opinion suikoden is pretty medicore.

Let me be next to ask....

Do you like anything?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 02:56:53 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
S4 takes 25 to 30 hours.

Wow, really? Less than 50 hours for a Suikoden game?? Never thought I'd see the day!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 03:25:34 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Alisha"
in my opinion suikoden is pretty medicore.

Let me be next to ask....

Do you like anything?

To be fair, I really don't see this as a series that would've entertained her. She's purely for gameplay, and while Suikoden's generally serviceable and sorta fun... Without the plot and characters you're left with, depending on the installment an average or slightly sub-par RPG with a character recruitment gimmick.

I hope you're being sarcastic Bernhardt.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Based on his name being a fairly immature reference to Worms and his applauding of the first person aspect of Suiko4, I think we can be pretty sure that someone turned upside down a PC gaming form, shook it, and this little guy accidently fell out and into this one.

Go back to your home donkey boy!

typical american, if someone has a different opinion, you tell them to get out.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 04:49:34 AM »

How do you know he's an American?

Maybe he's Russian. Or Italian. Maybe French.

You fucking racist.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 04:50:59 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
How do you know he's an American?

You know he's not now. He just called him an American, and whenever THAT happens in an internet argument they turn out to be Canadian. Or one of your examples.
Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 04:52:17 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
Based on his name being a fairly immature reference to Worms and his applauding of the first person aspect of Suiko4, I think we can be pretty sure that someone turned upside down a PC gaming form, shook it, and this little guy accidently fell out and into this one.

Get out.

im gay
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 04:54:17 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

To be fair, I really don't see this as a series that would've entertained her. She's purely for gameplay, and while Suikoden's generally serviceable and sorta fun... Without the plot and characters you're left with, depending on the installment an average or slightly sub-par RPG with a character recruitment gimmick.

I wouldn't say that's quite fair....I quite like the battle system in Suiko.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 04:56:16 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"

FUCKING AMERICA BURN THE FUCKING FLAG NO BLOOD FOR OIL FUCK GEORGE W. BUSH

im gay
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 05:11:23 AM »

Nah, I looked up his IP.  He's Australian.

G'day mate.  Let's keep this thread clean, kids.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 05:14:52 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Nah, I looked up his IP.  He's Australian.

G'day mate.  Let's keep this thread clean, kids.

Who, Prime Mover or concrete donkey? If the former, that figures. Of course he wouldn't be any of the examples we actually cite, he'd be something else entirely!

If concrete donkey though, for some reason I pegged him as British. I guess I wasn't /too/ far off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: