Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341161 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden General topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Suikoden General topic  (Read 15093 times)
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2007, 11:11:43 PM »

Hmm, well even with the facial emoting in Suikoden V, it was pretty simplistic body language. Like it's been said, mostly frowns and smiles. One thing I've noticed about games in general is there really isn't too much in the way of body language. Like people don't move their hands much when they speak in a game, something very common in actual communication. Understandable back in 2d games, but 3d hasn't opened that potential for more engrossing emoting and language. It's all very static still. However with 2d games you can realize it's because of the limitations and fall back on your imagination to fill in the blanks, but with a 3d game(especially at the point they are now), in a way it(can) lessens the impact of a scene with dramatic content. Not just hand movement I'm speaking of but body language in general. Characters still just stand around statue like when they interact in games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2007, 11:52:59 PM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
Hmm, well even with the facial emoting in Suikoden V, it was pretty simplistic body language.

That still doesn't mean it would've fit on a DS. Not even close.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »

Huh? That's not at all what I was suggesting..

I was saying that even with the facial expression, it still doesn't perform above the 2d Suikoden in regards to dramatic impact. As I explained previously I find it more obvious when the potential to meet less static body language is not met in a 3d game, as opposed to a 2d game where I can find shelter in imagination knowing that 2d(at least in the sprite form) can't meet up to realism. It's that whole knowing that they could be doing more(better) that keeps me aware of the deficit of expressiveness in a 3d game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2007, 12:18:10 AM »

On the other hand, there's a lot of 3D RPGs with random hand movement during cutscenes and wind up overdoing it.

I think it's kinda stupid to go in either extreme really. You can get the job done just fine with 2D, as stuff like SuikII and Mother 3's shown. And the added amount of detail required means you have to be more careful too, as little things that would be ignored in 2D for whatever reason can REALLY stand out in 3D. Same applies to voice acting. Still though, when done well 3D does a great job of conveying a story.

Can the Suikoden guys do it? Maybe actually. But like I said SuikV was uneven since it was either A. great looking cutscenes or B. bland character models just standing around doing jack shit.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »

I guess body language would be hard to do in a game, because it would automatically have to be directed. Body language is something so natural and harder to script than voice acting. It's also because body language is mostly unconscious so when it's directed or performed it looks kind of absurd. Even in movies it's mostly probably the actors own unconscious body langauge going on with the scene, even if they add a little improvisation.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2007, 04:08:09 AM »

I started playing my game of Rhapsodia again last night!  ...Why does Kyril sound like a seven year old trapped in a 20 year old's body?  :(

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: