Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden General topic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden General topic  (Read 14738 times)
Rush

curtis_harding@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »

I fell in love with this series ever since I played the first one. Although the second one is my favourite by far. I'm sure most of you have played at least one of the games in the series. Camus, Pahn, and Flik are my favourite characters throughout the series.

I must say though... Suiko 4 was a disappointment to me, and I'm sure a lot of other fans as well. The whole game being out at sea was a lot of change to take at once, but 5 made up for it I think...

Any comments?
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:23:13 PM »

1,2, & 3 are some of the greatest RPG's I've ever played, with 2 definitely being in my top 3 of all time.  4 is crap, 5 is pretty solid.

Pesmerga is the shit, hence my avatar.  I hope the series can get back on track as a whole and progress with the storyline.  Guess we won't know until 6 is released.

Red Phire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:11:53 AM »

I love Suikoden! Probably one of the best series I've come across.  While I do agree with the majority of Suikofans that 2 is the best, but 5 is really close to it. I loved it and is what got me back into rpg's after a few year hiatus from them.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:54:40 AM »

I've only played 3 and 5. I thought 3 was interesting, but it didn't grab me by the balls and make me go "wow". 5, on the other hand, did exactly that... absolutely amazing game. I didn't get all 108 characters (due to a game glitch and a freak accident), and a little part of me died in side when I got the bad ending. My only gripe with that game, at all, is the load times, which are probably the worst in the history of video gaming... or maybe tied with DQVIII.

Haven't played 1 or 2. Actually, one of my closest friends, which I find myself agreeing with about 98% of the time on video games, absolutely dispised Suiko2, so I've stayed away from it. He also warned me about Xenogears and Chrono Cross... two games that had similar cult followings, that I ended up utterly hating (well, maybe not utter hate for Xenogears, but deffinitely for CC). But, seeing as though the following for Suiko2 seems to be a bit more mature and I often see fair comparisons to other games in the series, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt... just like I did with CC... but I have a feeling I'm not going to get burned this time.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:48:43 AM »

Suikoden 2 was miles above Five honestly. Five was a decent enough game, but the story was a little bit hacknyed in comparison.

Watch out for the translation on 2 though, it can be somewhat annoying.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:29:57 AM »

Five is good but, honestly, is kind of a watered down version of Suiko 2.

Suiko 2 is my favourite RPG ever - flat out.

This series, in general, is my favourite RPG series.

I wish they had continued from Suiko 3 instead of making Suiko 4 a prequel though.

Suiko 3 seems to get a bit of a bad rap, and I don't understand why.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »

I love me some Suikoden.  I actually enjoy every single game in the series, which is quite a rarity for someone as picky as I am.  Only the Wild ARMs series holds a similar distinction.  Hell, I even like Suikoden IV, although it doesn't take a genius to see it's the worst. :P

Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I've only played 3 and 5. I thought 3 was interesting, but it didn't grab me by the balls and make me go "wow". 5, on the other hand, did exactly that... absolutely amazing game. I didn't get all 108 characters (due to a game glitch and a freak accident), and a little part of me died in side when I got the bad ending. My only gripe with that game, at all, is the load times, which are probably the worst in the history of video gaming... or maybe tied with DQVIII.

Magna Carta holds the title for PS2's most annoying loadtimes EVAR.

As for my Suiko love:
1st: Suikoden II - Like you didn't see that one coming. Definitely the best out of the bunch in my eyes. Everything came together to make this a game I replay at least once a year. Every game should have a cookoff competition.

2nd: Suikoden I - It started it all despite its horrendous US cover art. I might've passed it up based on that, but thank the gaming gods I didn't! I was treated to a epic story with a fantastic set of characters. I still hate you, Krin.

3rd: Suikoden III - I didn't really like this one after the first playthrough. After a second time around, I appreciated it a lot more after I brought my expectations down and actually played through the bonus episode. It took some time for the story and characters to grow on me, but it happened. I'd tie this with Suikoden V.

4th: Suikoden V - After playing IV and Rhapsodia, I didn't have high hopes for the series after that. Despite its flaws, the characters made it instantly appealing. The story wasn't as strong to give enough room for them to grow, but its a step back into the right direction. I'd tie this with Suikoden III.

5th: Suikoden IV - It's not really a surprise this is at the bottom of my list. The characters are pretty bland and the story was rather weak. With no true villain, it was hard to feel the sense of motivation other than 'YAR! WE REBELS WITH PIRATES!'. While Suikoden Tactics helped, it couldn't save this game from being my least favorite.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 10:08:02 AM »

How is Suikoden Tactics? I finally got ahold of a copy, yet to play it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 10:24:12 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
How is Suikoden Tactics? I finally got ahold of a copy, yet to play it.

It makes Suikoden IV a much better game if you play Suikoden Tactics right after. Otherwise, it's a rather mediocre turn-based strategy game. It did lift up my opinion of IV from 'meh sucks' to 'it's alright' if its any indication.
Rush

curtis_harding@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »

I agree that it makes Suiko IV a better game, but in my opinion even though it's better it's still a bad game. I loved tactics to be honest, but I hated Suiko 4. It was a waste of my time. All the others I enjoyed playing every minute of it.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 07:14:34 PM »

ive played all of the suikoden games except 5. i didnt even finish no.3, it was so boring. no.2 was good, but i actually like no.4 the most. i really like the characters and the fact taht you could play in 1st person was a winner with me!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 07:18:10 PM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
ive played all of the suikoden games except 5. i didnt even finish no.3, it was so boring. no.2 was good, but i actually like no.4 the most. i really like the characters and the fact taht you could play in 1st person was a winner with me!

Wait....three was boring and you LIKED four?

Alright man......seems backwards to me.

My big beef with IV was that it really didnt know where it was going until late in the game, it was the ole "Oops this town got taken over by the big bad ominous dude, gotta go take it back!"

Rinse. Repeat.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 07:26:38 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Quote from: "concrete donkey"

Wait....three was boring and you LIKED four?

Fuck that, he prefers Four over TWO. What the hell? Well, there's no accounting for taste I guess. :P

With that said, I don't rapidly hate IV like some people do. It was just very subpar for the series and is an already short game dragged out as much as possible by slow sailing and stupid random encounters. Not much development for the characters for the most part either. But it wasn't a horrible game to play, and wasn't too bad for $20. Plus I liked the camera and graphics the most of the three PS2 games. SuikV had a better art style though.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 08:36:08 PM »

Based on his name being a fairly immature reference to Worms and his applauding of the first person aspect of Suiko4, I think we can be pretty sure that someone turned upside down a PC gaming form, shook it, and this little guy accidently fell out and into this one.

Go back to your home donkey boy!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: