Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden General topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden General topic  (Read 14952 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2007, 11:23:07 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Krypton sucks.

Fuck You.

Besides...you're all wrong.

The CORRECT ranking is

II, V, III, I, IV.

Fucking Americans, liking III over I!!!

II, V, IV, I, III

3 had some cool returning characters, but I couldn't stand any of the battle systems, Thomas or Chris.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2007, 01:36:21 AM »

What the hell was wrong with Thomas?

And the CORRECT ranking is II, III, V/I, IV

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2007, 01:48:24 AM »

Thomas rocked. I wish we got to play as him more, or that the focus was on him.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2007, 02:17:43 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if I agreed more with Lard's order when I beat V. It's good, but might be keeping too conservative. Meanwhile, II was legendary and III, while uneven, had a feel to it that I really liked and would've been really great had they either dumped the partner system/expanded the max party size to 8 or even 10 to compensate for it (the partner system's the only way I see it being manageable), made the battles go MUCH faster, and polished up the ending and made it better. It could be argued that it'd be too long with the ending properly fleshed out since the game was already 50 for me, but then you speed up battles and you probably save assloads of time.

Plus, III has one of the best ideas EVER for a game.
Code:
Getting to play from the main villain's viewpoint? Only, what, BoFIV's done that? And Fou Lu doesn't even sound like he really went into the role of primary antagonist until the end of the game. Not that it's approach was bad though.

How the heck can someone like IV more than III though? At least III was trying for something new with the combat system and not doing the same ol' but stupider. HURHUR I REVIVE THE TURN IMMEDIATELY AFTER I DIED. One of the worst ideas I've seen for a regular enemy. Similar goes for the story/characters.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2007, 02:56:38 AM »

What I liked about III is that they tried a whole bunch of new things.

If you can get past the Lego people style walking of the characters, it's a great game.

Granted, the battle system is pretty broken, which is what makes it good - instead of great.

Six people in your party and you only control three? Ass.

Your fire spell harms....your party? Ass.

The game itself had a serious payoff for fans of the first two games, and they seemed to really try to push the boundaries of the past two games.

III gets alot of flack, but no way in hell is it worse than IV.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2007, 02:59:30 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

How the heck can someone like IV more than III though? At least III was trying for something new with the combat system and not doing the same ol' but stupider. HURHUR I REVIVE THE TURN IMMEDIATELY AFTER I DIED. One of the worst ideas I've seen for a regular enemy. Similar goes for the story/characters.

III Tried to be innovative, but in my eyes it failed miserably. It was clunky and slow, and it departed from series traditions a lot more than I would have liked. The Trinity Sight System forced me to control characters I didn't really care for very much (Thomas was boring--he would have been better were he a silent protagonist. Also he looks like a fucking hobbit.) and characters that I outright disliked (The Chris chapters sucked for me).

After III, IV was a welcome return to some tradition (minus the 4 member parties. Those sucked.) Also it ended up being quick, so it remains a game where I can play through it easily if I don't have a ton of time to invest into a game, while I believe I completed III twice ever. Now every time I try to replay it, I can't get past the first round of chapters.

In my opinion, if a game is going to have multiple protagonists, one should be allowed to complete the game by playing as one of them instead of all of them. I'd probably replay III more if I could just blaze through the early part with Hugo and get right to full-blown star recruitment.

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2007, 03:08:34 AM »

I can see Alishas point of the series seeming mediocre. On a surface level it could seem like that. The mostly uninteresting gameplay doesn't help. However, what does stand out in the series is the characterization and storytelling seems a lot more mature and realistic than a lot of jrpgs. Like, there's not really all those annoying anime cliches with the characters like there is in many jrpgs. There's cliches to be sure, but they're more of the classic literary type. The people in the game just seem wholly more realistic in their archetypes than most mainstream games like this.

Take Gizel Godwin for example, a antagonist who opposed you because of political ideals. Not because he was a evil villain who wanted to destroy everything, or rule the world. He was a jerk, but he wanted to do what he thought would be best for his country. I like how they adeptly portray politics in the games. That was the only real let down of III for me, it didn't have much of a political atmosphere. it made up for it with the characterization of the villain though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2007, 03:32:15 AM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
I like how they adeptly portray politics in the games. That was the only real let down of III for me, it didn't have much of a political atmosphere. it made up for it with the characterization of the villain though.

I thought they did fairly well with political stuff in Chris' story, never mind Thomas' - which was largely political.

concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2007, 07:02:04 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
How do you know he's an American?

Maybe he's Russian. Or Italian. Maybe French.

You fucking racist.

thanks. anyway, as i said, suikoden 3 was an absolute bore. im hoping no.5 will be better. i havnt gotten around to playing it yet. i bought it, but rogue galaxy has been keeping me busy. and ff12, and .hack gu..

is suikoden 6 on ps3?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 07:10:08 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
Quote from: "Leyviur"
How do you know he's an American?

Maybe he's Russian. Or Italian. Maybe French.

You fucking racist.

thanks. anyway, as i said, suikoden 3 was an absolute bore. im hoping no.5 will be better. i havnt gotten around to playing it yet. i bought it, but rogue galaxy has been keeping me busy. and ff12, and .hack gu..

is suikoden 6 on ps3?

I say drop .hack//G.U. for SuikV, but that's just me.

SuikVI's platform hasn't been confirmed yet. Personally, I think putting it on the PS3'd be stupid. The PS3 is currently trailing way behind, but more importantly Suikoden's never been graphically impressive. SuikIII looked like it was in between the PSX and the DC in terms of graphical quality, with IV and V not exactly being graphically awe inspiring games either. Unless they can really give it an awe inspiring make over, they'd probably just be wasting money and power on a game that really only has a niche appeal, when the Wii will likely be more than powerful enough for what they need to do, and reach more people.

If it's on PS3 anyway though, I'd half expect it to be multi-platform and be for the X360 too. I think the US following just might be strong enough to warrant the time and effort.

(Please don't say you're thankful to be called racist.)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 08:53:34 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
anyway, as i said, suikoden 3 was an absolute bore. im hoping no.5 will be better. i havnt gotten around to playing it yet. i bought it, but rogue galaxy has been keeping me busy. and ff12, and .hack gu..

Well, I didn't find Suikoden III particularly appealing, but I'm liking Suikoden V quite a bit. Of course, I'm also enjoying Suikoden IV.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2007, 11:26:38 AM »

I played S1 back when it first came out, and loved it. Since then I've tried III and V. III bored me to tears, and V was fun, but the slow pacing I couldn't deal with.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »

Anyone else thinking that Konami MAY go ahead and toss Suikoden VI on the DS? I mean...they COULD go X360, but seriously? the rpg community there is pretty low, the PS3 would be like burning a pile of cash. The only other thought might be the Wii, but I just dont see that being a really smart move, since the Suikoden series is pretty niche.

The DS is pretty much the best RPG platform right now, and aside from still just saying fuck it...lets stick with the PS2....i think the DS'd be the most logical spot.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »

Anyone else thinking that Konami MAY go ahead and toss Suikoden VI on the DS? I mean...they COULD go X360, but seriously? the rpg community there is pretty low, the PS3 would be like burning a pile of cash. The only other thought might be the Wii, but I just dont see that being a really smart move, since the Suikoden series is pretty niche.

The DS is pretty much the best RPG platform right now, and aside from still just saying fuck it...lets stick with the PS2....i think the DS'd be the most logical spot.

Fuck that. I want my memory card data transfer rewards thank you very much.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 09:03:32 PM »

I think you're right. Although, I do see a lot of "fuck it, let's just stick with the PS2" things. I'd put my money on Suiko6 coming out for the PS2.

Seriously, no console is ideal for RPGs, these days:

PS3: technically ideal, but with incredibly small market penatration, and extremely high development costs.

360: great for western penatration, but a total shithole for Japanese penatration. Only technical downside is that HD will require many discs to be used for the average modern RPG... not neccessarilly a huge problem though. Also, slightly wrong psychographic: jRPG audiences traditional tend to feel a bit estranged from Microsoft, but that is rapidly changing.

Wii: Potentially the best penetration overall, and easilly the best penatration of non-handheld consoles, in Japan. Extremely low development costs, and new input options. Unfortunately, limited hardware means no big graphical leaps over games on older generations. Also, has the current stigma of being "gameplay friendly" and "story unfriendly". Although, surprisingly, it seems to be pretty highly-regarded among jRPG circles, which potentially makes this last concern irrelivant.

DS: Second highest penetration overall (higher than the Wii), but EXTREMELY limited in hardware. Graphical output is very low; but even worse than that, data storage is extremely small, made even worse by the fact that the DS does not allow for cartridge swapping if you need to store a game on more than one piece of media. Only a good choice if you're game is all about gameplay and text, but has little FMV or voiceover work. Also, playing a handheld, off the bat, gives many people the impression that they're not playing a "sit down", relitively in-depth, game.

PSP: Much less penetration than the DS, but without the storage problems: larger media, allowence for disc swapping, and practically PS2 quality graphics. Beware huge load times, though. So, technically pretty good (for a handheld), but dangeriously low penetration.

PS2: SAFE, VERY SAFE. EVERYONE has one. If you were to release, crossplatform for all modern consoles (non-handhelds), you still couldn't touch the market penatration that the PS2 currently has. However, you're dealing with the lowest-of-the-low in terms of last-generational graphical power... and lack of anti-aliasing will automatically make your games look unpolished compared to modern-day consoles. Practically the OPPOSITE of the PS3. Also, this will obviously not be an option for many years, but here for the next year or two, it's still very safe.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: